• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi Only XOOM?

Are you saying the wifi only model will also be released on the 24th?

I am not saying that, miami is, who from what I understand is a VZW employee and posts stuff over at droidforums. I believe he is somewhat trustworthy.

Take it with a grain of salt, but he rarely tweets about that stuff, so it was worth mentioning.

Upvote 0
So since the XOOM will have a GPS independent form the cell radio, will Google Navigation work just the same without the 3G connection? I guess I've never used the Navigation feature on my Incredible with 3G off...

With the new version of Google Maps, it caches maps for your favorite places, and it will cache maps (and potential re-routes) for a destination. So just plot a destination while connected to WiFi, and it will store maps and potential re-routes for that route, then you can use the GPS on the Xoom to get there, even though you aren't connected to the internet while in the car.

Upvote 0
Moto better strike while the iron is hot. There is some buzz on the Xoom. In fact I just sold my ipad so I could get one. I am a recovering ios fanboy. When I saw honeycomb demonstrated I thought this is what I have been missing and have been looking forward to the Xoom.

However, if they do not release wifi version on the 24th and insist on misguided attempt to get people on the 3g version I will consider other Honeycomb options. Apple could get away with something like this because of their leverage but Moto cannot afford to play games.

Sure they may get some who want the wifi to up to the 3g by withholding it but it will be statistically insignificant. They would be much better off selling a boatload of wifi versions and really taking on the ipad.

That being said who knows we might get the wifi version on the 24th. The problem is they are letting Best Buy set the message right now. The $1199 pricing fiasco happened because of Bestbuy. Blogs then got on it and talked about how Xoom would fail because of price. Now at $799 for 3g which is better but still to high for most is all that is being talked about on the blogs. The $599 is mentioned but always with who knows when it will come out. All because Moto is not setting the message.

Moto spent millions on Super Bowl ads only to now let Bestbuy set message going into launch. Stupid in my opinion.

At minimum put out a press release letting people know when wifi only is coming out. Don't play games.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting until April at this point. Asus, Acer, HTC, Toshiba, and others are coming out with their tablets around that time frame, and competition will be hot.

I don't know if I can wait that long. I am going to try to wait a few weeks into March in hopes of hearing about a wifi only release. But the longer its quiet the harder it will be for me to wait.

In comparing the Xoom to the known specs for the ones you listed - do you have sense that one of them is better than the Xoom?

Any why the @#%! are all these vendors waiting at this point to release? Honeycomb is out - please - stop torturing me and release the damn tablets! I can't take it any more!

ok, whew. I think I blew a gasket on that one....

Upvote 0
I don't know if I can wait that long. I am going to try to wait a few weeks into March in hopes of hearing about a wifi only release. But the longer its quiet the harder it will be for me to wait.

In comparing the Xoom to the known specs for the ones you listed - do you have sense that one of them is better than the Xoom?

Any why the @#%! are all these vendors waiting at this point to release? Honeycomb is out - please - stop torturing me and release the damn tablets! I can't take it any more!

ok, whew. I think I blew a gasket on that one....

Not to get all transcendental on you or anything, but I think sometimes we need to take a step back from our consumerism and think about how badly we have to have the Next Great Thing in our hands the day it's available. I have really wanted an Android tablet for quite a while, started a website about how expensive the Xoom is going to be, and at this point, it doesn't seem like it's worth the $800. In April, at least half a dozen competitors will be released, with similar specs, and if one of them decides to make a deal on a solid machine with just wifi capability and a bootloader that isn't locked down (which will become more important over the life of the device than many people think) at a price point somewhere around $400-600, they get my money. Yes, we're all excited about the Xoom because it's first, but Motorola seems to want to take full advantage of the hype surrounding it with an abnormal sales structure (Verizon plan required? No wifi version on release day?) and a high price. If I planned to actually use the Xoom outside of an area with wifi available, I might actually consider the $800 version, but it doesn't make sense to pay $200 extra for something I won't use because I couldn't wait a month or two for something that just isn't at all urgent.

Upvote 0
... we need to take a step back from our consumerism and think about how badly we have to have the Next Great Thing in our hands the day it's available.

Just to be clear - there is nothing about need for me in this. Its pure want. If I needed one, I would not be on here drooling about it. i would just go buy something. I've waited this long because its a want. I'm getting tired of waiting, but am willing to wait a little bit more, although probably not for all the competition.

If I planned to actually use the Xoom outside of an area with wifi available, I might actually consider the $800 version, but it doesn't make sense to pay $200 extra for something I won't use because I couldn't wait a month or two for something that just isn't at all urgent.

I agree. I would prefer the wifi only rather than spend the $200 on something i don't think i need. But depending on timing, I am willing to bite the bullet on that too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones