• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the Captivate sync easily with Outlook Calendar?

Does anyone know if the Captivate will easily sync with my Outlook Calendar without having to go through Google? Just to confirm, this is a personal calendar not corporate.

I have to ask since there's so much confusion out there between Outlook and Exchange...when you say Outlook Calendar, do you mean a non-Exchange back-end (for instance, using Outlook to access an IMAP account), or is your personal email account through an Exchange provider (and one running ActiveSync)?

Upvote 0
I installed Kies and restarted the PC with XP Pro.
I connect my Captivate, but it cannot seem to find the driver. So Kies does nothing.

How does Kies work? I cannot find any info or if I did come across something, there are contradictory instructions. Turn on USB, Turn on mass storage.

Where do I get drivers? I want to sync OUtlook contacts, calendars, tasks and memos. Please help.
Else Captivate is going back. And good old Blackberry will come back. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Whatever the media hype, I have spent eight hours today trying to sync OUtlook calendar and contacts. It seems that most of the contacts did, but the calendar does not.

Not only that, the calendar seems to delete appointments from Outlook.

Go figure.

Oh and what about memos and tasks? This Captivate is a lousy phone.

And to do this bad syncing takes over 30 minutes which the Blackberry can do in less than 3.

I think Captivate makes iPhone 4 way superior.

Upvote 0
A couple of weeks ago when I first got my Captivate:

I installed Kies and it transferred over all my contacts and calendar items. The install took about 20 minutes, the sync took < 5 minutes.

I did a full reset (I was just exploring various operations and wanted a clean phone) uploaded my contacts to Google, installed the Outlook calendar connector, my phone pulled down all the contacts and calender items and the calendar stays in perfect sync from either managing items in Outlook our in Google calendar.

My Outlook isn't tied to an Exchange backend, only our company POP based server.

Per your other post, a Blackberry is probably an easier solution for you.

Reactions: maxflitom
Upvote 0
Thank you DT. I tried this earlier with Kies and was unsuccessful, took to AT&T they were unsuccessful, called India (ATT) told me unavailable for US. Just installed Kies again and low and behold it works now. I connected my Captivate via USB Samsung Kies in USB Settings and was able to sync my address book and Calendar. I actually went to ATT yesterday to return the phone but I had to wait for a rep to talk to me and I did not want to wait. I am migrating from a Sansung BlackJack II (I will miss you). Now time to learn a new phone and OS. I will be visiting this website frequently.

Upvote 0
See this: http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/149837-captivate-outlook-contacts-solution.html

I won't touch Kies anymore. Worked fine with my first Captivate but it hates my second Captivate. Hours of frustration.

The linked solution is absolutely fantastic. I have 386 .vcf files that are easily transferred to the phone.

Tip: in the event that you've loaded contacts on your phone and are unhappy with them for whatever reason, use Contact Remover (free from the Market) for mass deletion.

Upvote 0
I have tried nearly all the sync options. My contacts synced fine, however, my calendar will not. With kies, it will skip some appointments, and with the sync to google calendars, it only syncs about half of them. This was so easy to do on my BB. Has anyone found any more solutions?

Upvote 0
I know many of you have gone thru your variations of Synching with Outlook... but just wondering if some of you newer Captivate user have some final solutions now? What Synching program is the best to continuously transfer and synch calendar/contact items from Outlook to Captivate (Android)?

I am trading in my Samsung Jack (I got it for the Mobile Windows OS) and will become a first time Android 2.1 user.

I'm a heavy user of Outlook and Synching calendar and contacts. I haven't had the time or energy to get ALL my emails on my phone until now. I get way too many emails to get them continuously thru client meetings and travel... BUT... things change. I'm gonna try to get these emails.

I think most in these forums are pretty tech savy and I'm like most... Hate the thought of going to a new OS and looking forward to the challenge too. It's strange how we allow these small techie devices to challenge our lives huh? :eek:)

Thanks in advance for your help .. you savy Android folks! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones