• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you ditch the EVO for the Nexus S 4G?

If I had an Evo, I'd wait for the Evo3D.

Many impulse buyers itching for something shiny and new will have buyer's remorse once the Evo3D goes on sale in 5-6 weeks.

I have an Evo and I am getting my Nexus tomorrow, not an impulse buy at all. I am tired of waiting for Sprint to update my phone I paid good money for and having to hack my phone to get it is unacceptable. I also want better battery life, a higher quality screen and a smaller phone. The 3D wont be out that soon either BTW. Looks like the Kingdom will be out next and then the 3D later this summer. The Evo 3D owners are going to have Android remorse when ICS comes out and they are still running GB while wondering if their brand new phone will ever see an update.

Reactions: Essex
Upvote 0
I have no doubt some people are getting the Nexus S because they really want a 100% Google android phone with fast updates.

However, I can guarantee you that there will be plenty of Nexus S 4G's for sale the first week the Evo3D drops, and a slew of threads with titles like "I should have waited for the Evo3D"

Evo owners are accustomed to owning a flagship phone with a big screen, LED notifications, MicroSD slot, 720P video etc etc etc; the Evo3D builds upon that and gives much more, while the Nexus S is no where near as well featured.

Some people will be able to make the adjustment purely for the sake of 100% Google. There will be an equally big contingent that wont make the adjustment and they know it but will get the Nexus S anyway just because it is out now.

Upvote 0
led notification is taken care of with BLN kernels, it picks a pixel on your screen and flashes it.. just like a notifiable led :D

HD recording, the nexus s has the hardware we need the software, android google is already adding it in with 3.0, once we start to get a new flavor like ice cream i imagine it may be in it

evo has a 4.3 inch screen, the nexus has a 4 inch screen.. big deal...

also as a flagship phone owner evo owners must be accustomed to other things like slow updates, big battery sucking lcd screens, slow battery sucking cpu's, laggy bloated sense (seriously take any htc phone with sense and remove it the phone gets like 2x faster).

the evo had the first gen snapdragon, it had horrible power management, was so much slower then the msm series (second gen) want proof? the evo can overclock to what 1.2 stable 1.3 max? my epic handles 1.45ghz no sweat my old g2 run 1.9ghz like a champ. now your expecting qualcomm to have their FIRST gen dual cores figured out in terms of power and speed... sorry but from the specs and benchmarks im not impressed.

they had a 1.5ghz dual cores snapdragon with the 220 in a benchmark it got 11 frames per second more then the nexus s. a single core 1ghz. you are talking about a 50% boost to the cpu and then double it, but only get 11 fps? screw that look at the benchmarks on the sgs2 the oirion chipset is where the power is gunna be

Upvote 0
No matter how one chooses to spin it, the Evo was the super phone of 2010, and remains Sprint's flagship phone till the Evo3D drops.

Moving over to the Nexus S might seem like a great idea, but I would think twice if I was an Evo owner. It's your money, but don't say you weren't warned 5 weeks from now.

Upvote 0
Some people will regret anything. But I for one would not have gotten the evo if the nexus had been available. Because I've always felt it was superior.hell If I could have gotten the nexus one I would have gotten it instead of the evo. The nexus phones are what android should be. The sense phones are what HTC wants android to be. In 5 weeks I wont regret anything because I regret getting the evo or I wouldn't be getting the nexus.

Upvote 0
I dropped the EVO for the Nexus S and so far no regrets, but it's only been a couple of days. EVO may be Sprints flagship phone but Nexus S is Google's. Besides it's not that hard to sell your phone and buy the next thing (EVO 3D or whatever comes after). I've done it for years. People will pay a lot of money for phones so they don't have to sign another 2 yr contract.

Upvote 0
I'm tempted to buy me one... not sure now after the presented (though few) issues that've popped up here.

The weak 3g radio in it being a major concern.

Evo had it's own issues at first. They all have them. I remember returning 2 launch day Evo's because of the screen separation at the bottom. It also had weaker 3g signal than my previous phone. Once all the kinks got worked out. Battery life was excellent and phone was fast thanks to Cyanogon and SavagedZen. So anyway I think that the 3g reception will be improved.

Upvote 0
No matter how one chooses to spin it, the Evo was the super phone of 2010, and remains Sprint's flagship phone till the Evo3D drops.

Moving over to the Nexus S might seem like a great idea, but I would think twice if I was an Evo owner. It's your money, but don't say you weren't warned 5 weeks from now.

The Nexus S 4G is a much better phone than the Evo. Better form factor, better battery life, better onscreen keyboard. It's a much tighter, faster package than the Evo. The only thing I prefer on the Evo is the screen, to be honest.

Upvote 0
My wife and I got married back in October. I was just waiting for my ATT contract to run out before I jumped on Sprint. The plan pricing is better for us with Sprint than ATT.

I am coming from an iPhone 3G that I have had for 2 years. It's been a good phone. The battery is starting to get weak and I historically have replaced my phone at the end of the 2 year contract, so it was time.

So then I got to looking at the phones that were available and I was pretty sure I wanted an Android phone. After talking to a couple of my friends that are more up on current phones I decided to that I wanted a Google phone. The NS4G is the only Google phone on the Sprint plan, so that narrowed it down.

I must say my first pick was the EVO. I like that it has an SD slot and the NS4G does not. I like the exterior looks of the HTC better as well. The NS4G video recording is limited by the software at this time. I am not sure if that is a big deal or not for me. My 3G didn't record video. <shrug>

After I ordered my NS4G I found out that I could have gotten the HTC EVO for $120 at Amazon. Not sure if that would have swayed me, but it might have. Ha!

One thing I am sure of, if I had either phone I would just wait until the contract was up to get something different rather than pay $400+ for a freakin' phone. I just don't see it. I paid $199 for my iPhone, then the 3GS came out 40 days later, just outside the exchange limit and with more memory for the same price. Then again I never filled up my 3G's 8GB of storage.

Upvote 0
My wife and I got married back in October. I was just waiting for my ATT contract to run out before I jumped on Sprint. The plan pricing is better for us with Sprint than ATT.

I am coming from an iPhone 3G that I have had for 2 years. It's been a good phone. The battery is starting to get weak and I historically have replaced my phone at the end of the 2 year contract, so it was time.

So then I got to looking at the phones that were available and I was pretty sure I wanted an Android phone. After talking to a couple of my friends that are more up on current phones I decided to that I wanted a Google phone. The NS4G is the only Google phone on the Sprint plan, so that narrowed it down.

I must say my first pick was the EVO. I like that it has an SD slot and the NS4G does not. I like the exterior looks of the HTC better as well. The NS4G video recording is limited by the software at this time. I am not sure if that is a big deal or not for me. My 3G didn't record video. <shrug>

After I ordered my NS4G I found out that I could have gotten the HTC EVO for $120 at Amazon. Not sure if that would have swayed me, but it might have. Ha!

One thing I am sure of, if I had either phone I would just wait until the contract was up to get something different rather than pay $400+ for a freakin' phone. I just don't see it. I paid $199 for my iPhone, then the 3GS came out 40 days later, just outside the exchange limit and with more memory for the same price. Then again I never filled up my 3G's 8GB of storage.

wirefly has the nexus s 4g for 99 bucks on new contract >.>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones