• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Would like advice re: Droid 1 vs. Droid 2 replacement.

Ya, I've heard they were slow stock (heck, the D1 is unbearable, especially if you're used to rooting, and OC'd processors, etc.) I wasn't aware that the D2's had Blur...ew. My problem is that I don't really know how easily the D2s are bricked or how easy they are to root without bricking them. I know the DX has e-fuses, and they intercept the bootloaders, and all kinds of crazy stuff to root them. How does rooting a D2 compare to rooting the D1? Are they really that much more in danger of bricking? I'm sorry for the long rambling posts, I'm just hoping to make an informed decision if and when I go with the D2 and not end up regretting it for the duration of my contract.
Honestly the rooting method out now for D2 is incredibly simple. I have never bricked my phone, it seems challenging to do so. once I caught it in a bootloop without backing up so I flashed the SBF (easy) and it worked 100% again.

Upvote 0
Whoever said Droid 2 is slow doesn't know what they are talking about. Sure your running Blur, but with all those widgets what WOULDN'T be slow. Download LauncherPro or any other home screen replacement and the Droid 2 becomes lightning fast.

Yes, I have had a Droid 1; now I have a Droid 2.
It doesn't even need to be rooted. It blows the Droid1 out of the water compared to speed. Unlike what everybody says up here, the Droid 2 has a VERY weak rooting community. You won't find the same support you do as you did for your Droid. But overall, I suggest you take the plunge.

And overclocking is a lot harder than installing Kernels, unless you buy one of those overclock apps, which aren't working too well right now.

Upvote 0
Whoever said Droid 2 is slow doesn't know what they are talking about. Sure your running Blur, but with all those widgets what WOULDN'T be slow. Download LauncherPro or any other home screen replacement and the Droid 2 becomes lightning fast.

Yes, I have had a Droid 1; now I have a Droid 2.
It doesn't even need to be rooted. It blows the Droid1 out of the water compared to speed. Unlike what everybody says up here, the Droid 2 has a VERY weak rooting community. You won't find the same support you do as you did for your Droid. But overall, I suggest you take the plunge.

And overclocking is a lot harder than installing Kernels, unless you buy one of those overclock apps, which aren't working too well right now.

You have to consider the fact that the D1 has been out WAY longer so obviously the rooting community is still flourishing, but its happening so fast that I don't even mind.. hell, I made a thread asking if there was an overclock method yet and within 3 days it happened. Also what I said before was that the DROID 2 "stock" is slow, I meant like out of box with default launcher.. the default home even without the widgets is still pretty slow.

Upvote 0
@obutto the overclock apps are working fine for the droid 2. If you are getting your info from the comments of the overclock apps, you're being mislead. First of all people like to complain and second of all most of them don't even know what they are doing or even know what rooting is and give it a bad rating.

To the OP: if you do consider overclocking your droid 2, I recommend using JRummy's overclock app. It's pretty noob friendly and gets the job done at the same time.

Upvote 0
@Thornfullessrose
Have you ever ran a Quadrant benchmark on your OC'd D2? I'd be really interested to hear what you get from a 1.25 GHz D2. I've noticed that different kernels may give you higher scores, depending on the kernel and whether they work well with your ROM regardless of clock-speed. (I've had higher BM scores at slightly lower clock-speeds. I am just guessing that it is due to how well the ROM runs on your phone, etc.
Oh, hey! I just noticed that you live in Philly. Cool! I only live about 15 minutes from Philly, so if a guy shows up at your door with a blank look and holding a half-rooted/half-bricked Droid 2, that'll be me. lol, Just kidding.

LOL to the latter! XD I'd be all confused:thinking: like "who are you?!?!" hahaha

Anyway,

I like never do quads. I only did them when I had my Droid1. But I'll be happy to run one for you.

EDIT: I got a 1768.

Upvote 0
Of course those apps work (it's been a while), but I'd rather overclock it myself manually knowing for sure that the app didn't make a mistake somewhere. I don't need them so I don't bother reading about them. Simple as that.

And to the OP : If your scared that the Droid 2 isn't scoring high on Quadrant, it really does not matter. People have been scoring up to the 2300-2400 range if I'm not mistaken.

Also, everybody here is saying that the Droid 2 has not been out long enough as the Droid 1. Yes, this is correct. But the truth is, the Droid 2's community support will never reach that of the Droid 1. It simply is not popular enough. With new phones coming out, the Droid 2 will soon be hitting the sales shelves, and then it will simply be gone. And you can already tell. I've been watching the Droid 1 community ever since launch date, and I can report that the Droid 1 started off with an abundance of ROM choices, unlike the Droid 2, where we are limited to like two ROMs. So truth be told, you will never reach the community of the Droid 1. People here might disagree, but most of you are blinded by your Droid 2 "fan-boy" inside.

Now, back to the point of the topic. I would get the Droid 2. I've been loving it. Also the Droid 1 will not receive the Android "gingerbread" or whatever because it will not be fast enough (RAM, etc). So just pick up the Droid 2. I actually like MotoBlur. The construction is a lot more solid but it has a few more random reboots. But who cares, your getting a better device (IMO).

Upvote 0
Of course those apps work (it's been a while), but I'd rather overclock it myself manually knowing for sure that the app didn't make a mistake somewhere. I don't need them so I don't bother reading about them. Simple as that.

And to the OP : If your scared that the Droid 2 isn't scoring high on Quadrant, it really does not matter. People have been scoring up to the 2300-2400 range if I'm not mistaken.

Also, everybody here is saying that the Droid 2 has not been out long enough as the Droid 1. Yes, this is correct. But the truth is, the Droid 2's community support will never reach that of the Droid 1. It simply is not popular enough. With new phones coming out, the Droid 2 will soon be hitting the sales shelves, and then it will simply be gone. And you can already tell. I've been watching the Droid 1 community ever since launch date, and I can report that the Droid 1 started off with an abundance of ROM choices, unlike the Droid 2, where we are limited to like two ROMs. So truth be told, you will never reach the community of the Droid 1. People here might disagree, but most of you are blinded by your Droid 2 "fan-boy" inside.

Now, back to the point of the topic. I would get the Droid 2. I've been loving it. Also the Droid 1 will not receive the Android "gingerbread" or whatever because it will not be fast enough (RAM, etc). So just pick up the Droid 2. I actually like MotoBlur. The construction is a lot more solid but it has a few more random reboots. But who cares, your getting a better device (IMO).

Also overclocking on the Droid 2 doesn't really make a difference (unless you are running MotoBlur as your home app). Think about your Droid 1. Did overclocking from 1 mhz to 1.3 mhz make a difference? No, it is hardly noticeable. However, from 500 mhz --> 1000 mhz it did make a difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones