• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wrong carrier ROM

Long story short: I attempted to install MIUI on my Sprint Photon and it wouldn't boot. I recovered using the latest and greatest ROM but neglected to read the carrier: US CELLULAR(i.e. Electrify) . So currently I'm using Sprint towers with US Cell's software and I cannot receive nor send MMS. I'd like to be able to flash the ROM or whatever I need to do to get back to having MMS ability, be it a stock ROM or 3rd party one. My OS version is 2.3.5, in case that makes a difference. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Long story short: I attempted to install MIUI on my Sprint Photon and it wouldn't boot. I recovered using the latest and greatest ROM but neglected to read the carrier: US CELLULAR(i.e. Electrify) . So currently I'm using Sprint towers with US Cell's software and I cannot receive nor send MMS. I'd like to be able to flash the ROM or whatever I need to do to get back to having MMS ability, be it a stock ROM or 3rd party one. My OS version is 2.3.5, in case that makes a difference. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Need more info. What "latest/greatest" ROM did you flash (if you can, provide a link to the ROM thread)? Once I know that I can help you out as 2.3.5 posses some possible issues.

Upvote 0
System version : 45.1.190.mb853.USC.en.us
model # Motorola electrify
Android version: 2.3.5
Kernel 2.6.32.9-00012-gadd9752 xjm@il93lnxdroid64 #3
Build 4.5.1a_sun_USC_19.0

I honestly dont remember where i got the USC ROM. I did lots of googling and the sprint Roms links were broken.IIRC.

I used RSD to get where I am now.

Upvote 0
System version : 45.1.190.mb853.USC.en.us
model # Motorola electrify
Android version: 2.3.5
Kernel 2.6.32.9-00012-gadd9752 xjm@il93lnxdroid64 #3
Build 4.5.1a_sun_USC_19.0

I honestly dont remember where i got the USC ROM. I did lots of googling and the sprint Roms links were broken.IIRC.

I used RSD to get where I am now.

So you didn't flash a ROM, you flashed a factory SBF using RSD. Hate to tell you this but you are now permanently locked and have turned your Photon into an Electrify with no way to undo it. The !!!LOOK HERE FIRST!!! Motorola Photon Compendium thread found both here and on xda would have saved you from this as it has links to every ROM and SBF for the Photon. Your only options are replace the phone or see if GoSMS will work.

Reactions: krautsandwich
Upvote 0
I figured that was the case. I'll try Go SMS and report if it works, in case someone else has done the same thing. Luckily I'm eligible for an upgrade next month.

Just for clarification, that version no one has been able to root or unlock (yet)?
update go SMS doesn't work either. I believe the default text app said there is an APN conflict, the last time I used it. I used Google voice for text now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones