1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

xScope, a multitouch pinch zoom browser

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by xScope, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mc48

mc48 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 17, 2010
    so. east, usa
    I just started using xscope and loving it so far. Dev seems to have fixed the problem of downloading pics with HTC phones.

Advertisement

2. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    cool.not tried that recently.
    it seems to be working better on this forum recently which is always a tough test :-D

3. KenG10

KenG10 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    This has been my browser from day 1 of getting my new phone. Thanks!

4. xScope

xScope Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Been reading all your posts and taking notes :D Thanks for all suggestions and critics!
    Updated again today (3/11/2011)
    -Fixed a popup window bug!
    -Fixed Nook Color white text on white background problem
    -Fixed a bug that affects Google Reader, Buzz, and OpenId for some phone models
    -Removed thumbnail image taking redundant code (save about 200ms each time clicking tab switcher)
    There is a bug as reported from android market's developer console, however I couldn't find its root cause. Basically, whenever a bookmarked item is visited, the browser will try to take screenshot of it. Somehow on some phones, an out of memory exception occurs. It affects only a handful devices.

5. jimdroid

jimdroid Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the update!
    One more little problem to add to your list: I use MyYahoo as a home page and I use the TV Listings section. As of the last two versions, this section does not display correctly, it just shows the times in the top row. All other browsers I have display it correctly.

Thanks!

6. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    cool. thanks for update :)

7. xScope

xScope Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    jimdroid,

Try this: go to xScope settings, set viewport = wide.

Thanks,

Gary

8. jimdroid

jimdroid Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Gary,
    Thanks for the quick response. I tried that and the schedule items still don't show. FYI, I am using a 3 column layout in myYahoo and the TV listings are in the center column.

Thanks,

jd

9. italian_spider

None

Mar 17, 2011
    Maybe i missed the update but i use and love the xscope browser but the not being able to download pics on my evo is slightly upsetting, :( but i see were mc48 said a few posts ago that all seems better in that area?!?! any idea how that is? and how i can gain that ability on my device thanx in advance for any help :D

10. mc48

mc48 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 17, 2010
    so. east, usa

I have an HTC Eris and so far I haven't had any problems downloading pics from websites, etc. It seems to work randomly two different ways, or if not random I don't know why it does it different. You long press (sometimes you have to long press for a few secs, longer than you might think) on the photo and either:

1. you will get a box that gives you the option to "play/view" and an option to "download". Choose download.

2. you will get a box with options to open, open in new tab, bookmark link, save link target, share link, copy link url or save target image. Choose save target image.

after you have done this with either method, it will show you the download page and show the progress. I think technically you are supposed to be able to then click on the jpg link showing and open it or do other stuff but it always says "opening files is not supported in this version). So you can't look at the picture in the browser. But it is downloaded and it does show up in your photo gallery.

11. JLang

None

Mar 9, 2011
    The competition is free, out of Alpha, and brims with options, settings, and customization possibilities.
    And you want $2,99...? :)

12. gilbequick

gilbequick Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    What's the difference between the free lite and the paid pro version?

13. whitedragon551

None

Mar 17, 2011
    Office Administrator
    I stumbled across this the other day while I was browsing through App Brain. My favorite browser so far and the first Ive tried that will accept all of my bookmarks.

14. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    not sure if there is any different with free and pro - but check with the dev i guess - i just like to buy if im using apps a lot to support em :)

15. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    Thanks for pi**ing on the dev's camp fire. You're free not to buy it. But it's rude to tell others, and the developer, that they are all stupid for exchanging money.

16. JLang

None

Mar 9, 2011
    No, that's reality, bro. If reality is a problem for you I suggest you don't go out today and find help.

17. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Android Expert
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Reality is that you don't need to use xScope. Just keep in mind that there have been 10-50 thousand downloads of this paid app. So something beyond your current comprehension is obviously being done right.

Frankly the $2.99 is cool with me to avoid ads and data mining of my info. We were the first to get an android multitouch browser, also the first to get pin zoom (still the only ones as far as i know), and the best browser experience on the market. "Brimming with options" usually means little more than "bloats my phone and bogs down performance" when it comes to using something that is meant to render web pages.

I mean, that's fine that you want practically want IE on your phone, and you're cool with browsing web pages with ads, while using a browser with ads, and/or using your phone's resources to copy your browsing habits to further feed those ads. Go for it, that is your decision to use the competition and pay them with your personal info. That is just reality.

sic0048 likes this.
  18. MDbandit

MDbandit Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010

50,000 downloads? wow the author is rich!!

but im sure that has to be early downloads
    the guy made that reply on march 17th, 2011, and as of that date he's indeed right there are a couple of other big name browsers with racks of options and they are all free

im using dolphin HD now, its pretty super, and free

you HAVE to offer something unique to get the 2.99
    maybe when he made this post in 2009 yeh, but this day and age i wouldnt buy it either

19. mc48

mc48 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 17, 2010
    so. east, usa
    I've used xscope for a few weeks and before that dolphin. imo and probably most of those other 50K ppl that downloaded it, xscope works for them. It is much faster, the pinch to zoom works great, I like how the bookmarks work and there are other features that work for me. If Dolphin works better for you then use it. If the dev wants to make a post so he can get feedback on his app, great for him. If he, because of his innovation and continued hard work, decides to charge a couple of bucks for his app, great for him/her. If you don't want to pay a couple of bucks for an app that does what you want, then don't use it. If the app doesn't work for you, don't use it. But what you can do jlang is troll somewhere else...bro.

20. rebski

rebski Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    I bought my Dell Streak about 9 months ago and have been using xScope since day one. Currently I am on xScope Browser Pro (paid). Of course, I try other browsers both free and paid, including the latest releases of Opera and Firefox. I also use DolphinHD (paid). This massive choice is one of the attractions of Android.

People are free to exercise their freedom of choice in any way that suits them. I just love xScope and, despite the wealth of competition, it remains my default browser.

The price is fine and even if it were more it would still represent a bargain to me. Moreover the developer has demonstrated himself to be very worthy of support in whatever way this can be shown.

Several of the preceding comments are gratuitously rude, graceless and simply out of order. To misquote the old adage, if you can’t say anything helpful and constructive then it is best to say nothing. You just let yourself down in the estimation of others.

21. whbjr

whbjr Lurker
    None

Is there some way to (quickly, easily) go to 100% zoom, the original default text size when the page first loaded? I'm only asking because I thought there was such a thing, but now I can't find it or figure it out...

Don't get me wrong - I love Pin Zoom! What I'm looking for is the same thing as Firefox's Ctrl-Zero, or the manual "100% Zoom" on IE and Chrome. Help!

22. jastonas

jastonas Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Is there no way to disable text wrap? Or even better to enable only when double tapping?

When you pinch and it text wraps every single time, it makes many pages unusable!

23. mihai_99

mihai_99 Lurker
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    this is a good browser mabye the best ...and i like it dont get laggy on PC mode...take a look here for more things

24. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    this browser just got better :) seems much quicker
    over 3g now

25. Ngo93

Ngo93 Android Enthusiast
    None

Glad it got updated! Thought it was dead for awhile there, especially since the dev wasn't answering any emails. Switched to Dolhpin HD but now I have switched back to xScope ^^