• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I've just spent the evening in the company of Network Signal Info and Speedtest, running logs and repeaded tests on both modems (10 runs of Speedtest for both mobile data and wifi on each modem). The results are startling. KPA verily spanks the hairy backside of LP1:

On LP1 I was getting -105 dBm (4 ASM) with an average of 2.1 Mb/s download and 800Kb/s upload on H-signal, and 5.6 Mb/s download and 830 Kb/s upload on wifi.

On KPA I was getting -85 dBm (20 ASM) with an average of 3 Mb/s download and 1.5 Mb/s upload on H-signal, and 7.6 Mb/s download and 850 Kb/s upload on wifi.

Back to KPA for me.

Upvote 0
I've found LP1 pretty good with regards to speeds, signal and call quality. To be honest, I didnt have any complaints with KPA neither.
I have however noticed a larger overnight battery drain over these last 2 nights. I'm getting a touch over 1% per hour overnight drain compared to my usual 0.5%. I'm not sure if this is the modem, or Siyah 2.6.7, as I didn't really test 2.6.7 with KPA.

I've put KPA back on for now so see how this compares tonight.

Upvote 0
Afaik the colour indicates signal strength i.e. green > yellow > beige > red. I've no idea why it did what it did, though.

I'm like you, and normally see a constant yellow bar. I may install this modem to see if my result echoes your own experience.

Hi All,

AFAIK there is a bug that stops the display showing correctly. If you go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > BATTERY USAGE and select CELL STANDBY you will see Time without a signal is 100% until you go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > STATUS where you can see the Signal Strength. After doing this the CELL STANDBY is updated correctly.

In my experience, the bar will be constantly yellow (or possibly red if you lose signal altogether) unless you go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > STATUS to trigger CELL STANDBY to be updated. After that your bar should be beige/taupe or whatever.

As a note, you may need to allow a bit of time to pass to see the results - when you go to BATTERY USAGE and click on the graph at the top, the display doesn't update immediately. Before you think this hasn't worked, check the sample time at the bottom of the graph. Exit BATTERY USAGE and go back after a couple of minutes and check the sample time has changed. You may need to go back a couple of times.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Reactions: Kuragari
Upvote 0
Hi All,

AFAIK there is a bug that stops the display showing correctly. If you go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > BATTERY USAGE and select CELL STANDBY you will see Time without a signal is 100% until you go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > STATUS where you can see the Signal Strength. After doing this the CELL STANDBY is updated correctly.

In my experience, the bar will be constantly yellow (or possibly red if you lose signal altogether) unless you go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > STATUS to trigger CELL STANDBY to be updated. After that your bar should be beige/taupe or whatever.

As a note, you may need to allow a bit of time to pass to see the results - when you go to BATTERY USAGE and click on the graph at the top, the display doesn't update immediately. Before you think this hasn't worked, check the sample time at the bottom of the graph. Exit BATTERY USAGE and go back after a couple of minutes and check the sample time has changed. You may need to go back a couple of times.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I really wish I hadn't gone to the pub before reading this...

Just to clarify. You are saying that a yellow bar means an un-updated Cell Standby and that a beige bar means that it has been updated. Am I right? :thinking:

Dummy explanations only please. My brain hurts!

Upvote 0
I really wish I hadn't gone to the pub before reading this...

Just to clarify. You are saying that a yellow bar means an un-updated Cell Standby and that a beige bar means that it has been updated. Am I right? :thinking:

Dummy explanations only please. My brain hurts!

Sorry mate. I read about Cell Standby bug on XDA and noticed that it coincided with the yellow bar.
Several people asked why the bars changed colour. Now you know as much as me.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
I wonder if this is only regarding Siyah or for NEAK as well

It's independent of kernel or ROM as it's reported as occurring on stock devices too - the bug is either in Samsung's OS build or the modem firmware. I suggest the latter as I haven't noticed it since flashing the LP1 modem, but that may be because I've been comparing the signal level and unwittingly fixing the glitch.

Also, is the implication that we have to do this SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > STATUS every time we reboot or is it a one-off fix?

I would assume on every reboot.

Reactions: turbohobbit
Upvote 0
I would assume on every reboot.

Just to confuse things even more... as if they needed confusing, I have found that since flashing LP1, where I was getting a uniform beige bar, and then reverting to KPA, where I used to get a yellow bar... I am now getting a beige bar!

My hypothesis is that the colour is also related to the asu as well as dBm and that maybe, just maybe, there was a fix for misreporting signal strength that was included in LP1.

On the other hand I could be talking a load of grollocks. :p

Upvote 0
I'm now properly confused! :D

I'm sorry Slug old boy!

This has become a mission for me. A little along the lines of hawker and his wakelocks! The more I delve into this, the murkier it gets. :thinking:

I don't mind if you cast me out in the snow, to some far flung corner of Android Forums, where I can quietly witter to myself. :(

Same here. I'm back on kpa but ever since I flashed lp1 I'm in beige city.

A-Ha! It's not just me then! I am invigorated and vindicated. My quest continues.

Just wish they'd loosen the straps on the back of this jacket though... I can't move my arms. :D

Upvote 0
Shouldn't that say modem?

I guess its just not enough cups of coffee then.:)

It's OK Slug!

Shotgun84 passed the Guide test and spotted my deliberate error. :rolleyes:

I'll be no help then, as I'm keeping the LP1 modem. :p

Bad news... I'm on LP1 now to take readings and comparisons. :eek:

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones