• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Yet another Gorilla Glass thread

DAN040790

Nov 17, 2011
I was watching some youtube videos of Gorilla Glass today and then I started thinking... the phone came with "two screen protectors". A lot of people remove the thick one that comes installed. Did anyone ever wonder if they're actually removing parts of the Gorilla 'Glass' instead?

I'm not sure but this looks like it has some sort of protector on it too, compared to the normal glass.

Fun with Gorilla Glass - YouTube

it looks like they all had a thin film covering them, probably to keep the glass from breaking into a bunch of pieces and getting everywhere.

That being said I think the MT is the only phone that has that screen protector on it... I have't heard about it on any other phone that has gorilla glass on any other forum, also I don't have that protector on and I cracked my gorilla glass in 2 spots (whoops :/), and it didn't explode into a million pieces...

Upvote 0
that extra covering on the triumph is NOT part of what defines "Gorilla Glass"

the iphone, and a bunch of other phones do NOT have that. you'd have heard about it by now.

Gorilla glass is a special way they bake the glass. the glass itself is manufactured in a way that its stronger. its not regular glass with some strong layer of plastic stuck on top. (thats what im picturing the OP thinks it is)

in the video they do that for easy handling of many glass slides. stupid safety system, no sharp edges, everythings gotta be covered and wrapped. it means nothing.

the Triumph ships with the gorilla glass screen, covered by a screen protector (that is unusually thick.) and then covered by the manufacturing skin. this protects the phones as they move through the packaging process into boxes. that final screen protector has a pull tab to remove it once its out of the box and is absolutely NOT designed to day to day protection. but some idiots think it is and will defend their dumb opinion. these are usually the same people who leave the stickers on their laptops and HDTVs as well.

sure, you can cut that tab off and use it as a screen protector, but that tab is the very thing that tells you its NOT made for that.

Reactions: DAN040790
Upvote 0
I was watching some youtube videos of Gorilla Glass today and then I started thinking... the phone came with "two screen protectors". A lot of people remove the thick one that comes installed. Did anyone ever wonder if they're actually removing parts of the Gorilla 'Glass' instead?

I'm not sure but this looks like it has some sort of protector on it too, compared to the normal glass.

GG does not need any protection over the glass. So no, protective covering is not part of GG; it is not what makes GG what it is. GG was developed to be thin and resistant to damage.

Incidentally, you can thank Steve Jobs for Gorilla Glass because the glass was revived at his request for use in the iPhone. GG was developed in 1960 something and never put into production.

Upvote 0
GG does not need any protection over the glass. So no, protective covering is not part of GG; it is not what makes GG what it is. GG was developed to be thin and resistant to damage.

Incidentally, you can thank Steve Jobs for Gorilla Glass because the glass was revived at his request for use in the iPhone. GG was developed in 1960 something and never put into production.

Corning's site said:
IS IT TRUE THAT GORILLA GLASS WAS ORIGINALLY DEVELOPED IN THE 1960S?
No. That has been a popular myth, which apparently resulted from a misunderstanding of the facts. It

Upvote 0
that is still being debated. Corning will not tell you any more than Apple will tell you. That said, it is here largely because Apple wanted the material.

Maybe. Also I think a major part where people aren't gonna believe apple even if they did have gorilla glass is because the iPhone has virtually no shock absorption. A major flaw that Apple doesn't seem anywhere close to getting rid of.

Upvote 0

Fun with Gorilla Glass - YouTube
i left both on just cu the tab off and cut around the camera

Upvote 0
Maybe. Also I think a major part where people aren't gonna believe apple even if they did have gorilla glass is because the iPhone has virtually no shock absorption. A major flaw that Apple doesn't seem anywhere close to getting rid of.

Before you call it a flaw, you need evidence beyond some YouTube videos where they try to prove the glass is weak by trying to damage the device; or a web site that provides guesses and perhaps BS. Not that you posted a YT video; it seems to be the Go-To video Apple haters (Smiley) use as evidence the iPhone is crap.:D

Some people assume the design is flawed because of the liberal use of glass. Perhaps users understand that their devices could break if they are not careful.

How many iPhone users actually suffer broken screens? Until you have hard numbers and you lay the claim that their design is weak, you need hard data. Until then, you are just guessing. You also need some numbers for other devices. Perhaps other phones are easily damaged too.

You may me right and the design might be flawed. I do not have any hard data and specifics. All I know is the iPhone is a great device and my Triumph is a great device. Both will break or could break if I drop them.

Upvote 0
Before you call it a flaw, you need evidence beyond some YouTube videos where they try to prove the glass is weak by trying to damage the device; or a web site that provides guesses and perhaps BS. Not that you posted a YT video; it seems to be the Go-To video Apple haters (Smiley) use as evidence the iPhone is crap.:D

Some people assume the design is flawed because of the liberal use of glass. Perhaps users understand that their devices could break if they are not careful.

How many iPhone users actually suffer broken screens? Until you have hard numbers and you lay the claim that their design is weak, you need hard data. Until then, you are just guessing. You also need some numbers for other devices. Perhaps other phones are easily damaged too.

You may me right and the design might be flawed. I do not have any hard data and specifics. All I know is the iPhone is a great device and my Triumph is a great device. Both will break or could break if I drop them.

I can tell you this right now. having a plastic shell on a phone is gonna be better because it's gonna absorb the shock. I have dropped my OV and my MT plenty of times only to get a dinged up shell and have my screen in perfect condition without using a case. I have seen plenty of drop tests and people drop their iPhones and have them shatter. Believe me having a glass shell is not going to absorb shock anywhere near as much as a plastic shell. Sure any phone can break if hitting the ground enough times, but iPhones are more likely to break. Look it up. I'm not saying you are wrong, but in my personal opinion it's stupid to have a phone made up of almost pure glass, for the plain and simple fact that glass does not absorb shock.

Upvote 0
Excellent, I'm gonna try with a thumb tac! :D
UPDATE: I have removed my stock screen protector! The feel is very nice and each key press is nice without hiccups. I also notice the colors are bright and a slight bright increase :) AND, I have tried to scratch the screen, it was daring but no scratches! :-D
jxWW8v4alLIQR.jpg

~ Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk ~

Upvote 0
I know 6 people with Iphones and 3 of them have cracked their screens because of drops.

The Iphone doesn't use gorilla glass...and if it does...then it's not doing its job too well.

They use aluminosilicate glass so they are not nearly as strong as gorilla glass although Apple would like to think it is. But I've seen to many drop tests, and people shattering their iPhones not always on purpose. That just goes to show gorilla glass is superior, I mean even plastic screens don't break (granted they can get scratched easier) very easily.

Reactions: Alpha06
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones