• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3G Data Connectivity Issues

ya i have had issues with both optimus and the intercept i dont understand why they have had so many issues. they keep blaming it up updates or outages but im not sure im thinking maybe its the way that how the data on the network is so different than sprints data... i ask friends that have sprint or boost cdma service in my area and they have no problems what so ever :mad:

Upvote 0
I called them and talked to Virgin mobile again - we got it squared away; the 3G works now. Hopefully it doesn't drop like a lot of other people are experiencing.

Good to hear.
Who did to talk to? CS or Tech support?
Did they tell you what they did to fix it?
Details please :)

Got mine yesterday.
It was working fine then starting having some data connection drops. Got it back with the airplane on/off trick.
Today, it wouldn't connect at all... except for the browser redirecting to VM only.
Talked to Tech support and they did a "network reset" but so far, it has not fixed anything.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I just bought mine yesterday and have learned to turn off the 3g with a toggle when I dont use it. I dont get Pics from MMS until I turn it on. I also turn everything else off like BT, GPS, Syncing. I just do it all manually. I charged it 100% for the first time last night and that took 6 hours from 18% then when I woke up after 7 hours it was at 93%. What I have noticed is that after using 3G for 40 mins it went down to 89% WOW! And I really didnt surf, I was messing with USB tethering trying to find a good program for it. LG really needs to do something about this....its so crazy. I still have a few weeks to try it out. I'll keep testing it for a few more weeks but if things dont improve I may just return it even though I love the phone. LG come on man!!! Make a new battery or fix the software issue if there is one. I sent a support email last night, I'll let you guys know what they say.

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Customer Support.
I had to do the Activation with the force edit.....Now i have been instructed to wait 4 hours to Text and Surf the Net......

I got up this morning after the VM reset, and the phone was searching for service.
So I removed the battery for a few minutes, and what do you know? It worked!
Been fine all day!:D

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Tech Support level 3.
Level 2 tried to manually activate the phone again. No luck there.
Level 3 mentioned that my phone wasn't properly registered under the 'android 3g data' plan (funny because I mentioned that forum and the plan thing and the guy told me that it was exactly what he was adding.)
Anyway, he told be that I have to wait 15-30 min. for the plan to register.
Will post update.....

Upvote 0
I've tried all these methods (deleting an app, reactivating, taking out the battery, turning it on airplane mode) and nothing works, or it's a temporary fix until it loses signal again, then it stays lost. I've even tried hard resetting the phone and reformatting the sd card. Virgin blames it on service updates, but it's been weeks at this point and at the time I called, supposedly they were 75% done already. I think it's just my phone... I'm hoping this isn't the case with all Optimuses... I'm in Chicago. Anyone else have this problem?

Upvote 0
I've tried all these methods (deleting an app, reactivating, taking out the battery, turning it on airplane mode) and nothing works, or it's a temporary fix until it loses signal again, then it stays lost. I've even tried hard resetting the phone and reformatting the sd card. Virgin blames it on service updates, but it's been weeks at this point and at the time I called, supposedly they were 75% done already. I think it's just my phone... I'm hoping this isn't the case with all Optimuses... I'm in Chicago. Anyone else have this problem?

Yep see here.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/300611-no-data-since-4pm-cst.html

Upvote 0

Having the same issues myself tonight in Minneapolis.

Upvote 0
Just want to thank the person that suggested the activate button. That solved the solution.

I was having issues with the my Optimus V losing connection. Especially after a full charge or connecting it to a computer. The phones would have bouts of lag issues then finally no 3G. I came across this forum and did the activate thing and lo and behold it works again. I love my phone, love my plan and hope to love VM. I'm just hoping this doesn't become a constant issue. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Just activated my Optimus V (swapped from their BB, so I could sell that one and save $10/month) last night. I never received the so-called text that everything should be ready for me to use. Calls seem to go through just fine right now, and the 3G icon comes up (with normal U/D flashing), but I have no browser/market capability. I've tried activating a number of times, turning data off and on, etc. Looks like I'll be calling them today... Worth it to go right to an escalation number or should I go for general support?

Upvote 0
A possibly interesting wrinkle in my story of 3G woes: Google Mail works (using the pre-installed app), but no other data-dependent apps or services do. Market, Google Talk, non-Gmail-email, the stock news and weather widget and the web browser all time out with an "unable to connect" message. Only Gmail soldiers on.

Does this give any clues as to what my specific problem might be? Any recommendations as to what I could do to trouble-shoot?

Thanks a bunch!:)

The complete story:
Bought and activated the phone yesterday (3/18) morning. Only noticed (nearly) complete lack of non-Wifi data (3G or otherwise) a couple of hours later (when I turned off Wifi). I tried most or all of the suggested fixes ([re-]activate, toggle Wifi/AirMode/data/CDMA only, reboot, take out battery, factory reset), all to no avail. Got the runaround during first and so far only call to first-tier VM CS yesterday afternoon (“We’ll work on it and call you”; no ticket filed).

Upvote 0
I got my optimus yesterday about 5pm. I walked out of best buy (where they activated it) and tried to connect to the internet, no-go.. I just thought oh maybe I dont know what Im doing yet(first smart phone) and went home and figured out the phone and it has been a no-go all last night until now, not once have I been able to connect to the 3g/data network, even with showing full bars/3g.

I called customer service last night and the guy had reactivated my account and had me reactivate my phone and wait four hours.. what a waste.. still nothing..

I called same customer service this morning and the Indian gal didnt offer any new working advice and left it as a national 3g downage..

I called the american VM customer service just a min ago and she simply said there is a national outage of 3g/data.. I said well it looks like its been over a month of outage and she kinda agreed and didnt give any date whatsoever as to when It might be back up..

I guess the phone will probably be going back to best buy.. Dang-it.. first smart phone experience and it sucks,lol.. I cant see paying 80 bucks a month for "better" service though either..

Upvote 0
I got my optimus yesterday about 5pm. I walked out of best buy (where they activated it) and tried to connect to the internet, no-go.. I just thought oh maybe I dont know what Im doing yet(first smart phone) and went home and figured out the phone and it has been a no-go all last night until now, not once have I been able to connect to the 3g/data network, even with showing full bars/3g.

I called customer service last night and the guy had reactivated my account and had me reactivate my phone and wait four hours.. what a waste.. still nothing..

I called same customer service this morning and the Indian gal didnt offer any new working advice and left it as a national 3g downage..

I called the american VM customer service just a min ago and she simply said there is a national outage of 3g/data.. I said well it looks like its been over a month of outage and she kinda agreed and didnt give any date whatsoever as to when It might be back up..

I guess the phone will probably be going back to best buy.. Dang-it.. first smart phone experience and it sucks,lol.. I cant see paying 80 bucks a month for "better" service though either..

Agreed. Picked up my Optimus on Friday, and I'm quite torn between just returning it to BB or waiting it out. I'll try a VM escalation/CS number tomorrow to see what they have to say, but really, I'm not sure they'll be able to say anything that'll keep me around. Thing is, I made the decision to get this phone to swap it with my BlackBerry, in order to save $10/month. This's going to hurt me either way, whether I stick around with poor service or switch back and pay more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones