• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Amon_RA 1.6.2 Custom Recovery: trackball not required!

Quick question.

My version of Astro has no "extract" command. What can I do if I'm trying to do scenario 3?

So when you long-press at .zip file, you don't see "Extract" at the bottom of the "File Options" menu? Weird...

You could try ES File Explorer (free, by EStrongs)...its very similar to Astro and the long-press of a .zip file gives you "Extract to" in the top option of the "Operations" menu.

Reactions: LexusBrian400
Upvote 0
So when you long-press at .zip file, you don't see "Extract" at the bottom of the "File Options" menu? Weird...

You could try ES File Explorer (free, by EStrongs)...its very similar to Astro and the long-press of a .zip file gives you "Extract to" in the top option of the "Operations" menu.
well I had done it wrong. fixed now. however, when I ran the script it kept saying something like out of memory. And now when I boot, I'm stuck at the skateboards... help?

Upvote 0
well I had done it wrong. fixed now. however, when I ran the script it kept saying something like out of memory. And now when I boot, I'm stuck at the skateboards... help?

Can you give me more detail about exactly what you did (and what went wrong and how you fixed it)?

Also, were you booting normally or into recovery when you see the skateboarding androids? (i.e, how did you boot?)

Upvote 0
It boots fine, just when I try to boot into recovery it sticks at the skateboarding androids.

I ran the gscript, had SU checkbox checked, clicked run. I'm about to try it again.

It's saying error at md0x000000 etc (Out of memory)

I actually got that error way back in May when I rooted (manually with adb)...its a funny kind of apparently retryable error...never been able to satisfactorily figure-out what the deal with it is. When I've seen it, it had to do with typing the adb commands too quickly (not allowing enough time for the prior command to finish what it was doing). This should not be the case with the script though since there's really only one command being executed: the flash_image command of the new recovery.

Anyway, let me know what happened...good luck!

Upvote 0
wow. after reading this, I get SO lost. I haven't attempted it yet, slightly out of fear. I need to take my eris in to be replaced due to the track ball not working, so I'm assuming I should just unroot, correct? Thats how I came upon this thread, as I can't unroot with out my track ball...so far.
I'm hoping a "for dummies" version comes out soon. Otherwise I may be stuck with a phone that doesn't work :/

edit: actually, I some how managed to figure it out! going to test it now...and hopefully unroot in the morning when I'm fully charged

Upvote 0
wow. after reading this, I get SO lost. I haven't attempted it yet, slightly out of fear. I need to take my eris in to be replaced due to the track ball not working, so I'm assuming I should just unroot, correct? Thats how I came upon this thread, as I can't unroot with out my track ball...so far.
I'm hoping a "for dummies" version comes out soon. Otherwise I may be stuck with a phone that doesn't work :/

edit: actually, I some how managed to figure it out! going to test it now...and hopefully unroot in the morning when I'm fully charged

chaos,

Glad you got it figured-out...is there something in my instructions that I could better clarify or emphasize that would help others that might have confused you?

Let me know. Cheers!

Upvote 0
chaos,

Glad you got it figured-out...is there something in my instructions that I could better clarify or emphasize that would help others that might have confused you?

Let me know. Cheers!

Actually your instructions were fine. Sometimes I just don't realize how simple things are until I run through them. I think I was just reading the entire thread at once and getting lost. When I ran through it on my phone (scenario 3) I did just fine.

Upvote 0
Actually your instructions were fine. Sometimes I just don't realize how simple things are until I run through them. I think I was just reading the entire thread at once and getting lost. When I ran through it on my phone (scenario 3) I did just fine.

yup,im the same... just reading thru things it seems complicated. actually doing them is quite a bit simpler,in most cases.

at first i was unsure wich one i should download. i tried to run 1.7.1 and got an error. since my SD card isnt partitioned,i prolly dont care if it ever is,i went ahead and tried 1.6.2 wich worked fine.

i dont care to download stuff directly to my phone and then move it up. i just downloaded the file to my puter,moved it to my SD card,unplugged the phone,opened astro,then started with step F :)

and thanks again for figuring it out... if i havent said it allready :)

Upvote 0
I have followed method 3 about 5 tims and can't get it to work. I am of course rooted on Kaos Froyo v 34 at the moment. I extracted the gsscript 171 thingy in my main sd card folder. i downloaded gsscript lite. I go to load the new sh script and when I hit run I get an error message that says:

Command not found. Error this scrpit is meant for the htc droid eris (desirec): Your phone is reported to be a:

Am I dooing something wrong? I have tried this a handful of times and my head is going to explode! LOl.

thanks,

Upvote 0
I have followed method 3 about 5 tims and can't get it to work. I am of course rooted on Kaos Froyo v 34 at the moment. I extracted the gsscript 171 thingy in my main sd card folder. i downloaded gsscript lite. I go to load the new sh script and when I hit run I get an error message that says:

Command not found. Error this scrpit is meant for the htc droid eris (desirec): Your phone is reported to be a:

Am I dooing something wrong? I have tried this a handful of times and my head is going to explode! LOl.

thanks,

jon,

This is a little strange... The script utilitizes a safety mechanism that I shamelessly copied from eriuser1's "Universal Root for Dummies!" gscript.

The issue you are encountering appears to be related to not being able to run the getprop ro.build.product command.

If you install the Android Terminal Emulator (free in the Market) and type-in the above getprop command manually, do you see the same issue? (I suspect you will)

If you do, then for some reason, KaosFroyo does not support this (presumably ubiquitous) command.

I do not have my Eris with me at the moment to download and flash KaosFroyo to replicate and debug this issue. You could (if you are really daring), edit the gscript script yourself and remove the "exit 1" line in the related IF-statement which would allow you the script to continue on. This would give me pause however and question what other things might not work correctly given your current environment.

Why don't you let me flash the same ROM tonight and try to see what the scoop is and I'll get back to you as soon as I can?

Barring this, there are still a few other ways of installing this recovery if you are so inclined and comfortable using the Android SDK's adb tool (and have the proper adb USB driver installed).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
By the way, I forgot to mention this (probably to anyone), but the script does create its own debugging log file in /sdcard/gscript/tools/logfile.txt when you run it.

If you want, you could examine this log file and see if its reporting the same things as discussed above. You can also feel free to email it to me at scary.alien@gmail.com and I'll take a gander at it.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
jon,

This is a little strange... The script utilitizes a safety mechanism that I shamelessly copied from eriuser1's "Universal Root for Dummies!" gscript.

The issue you are encountering appears to be related to not being able to run the getprop ro.build.product command.

If you install the Android Terminal Emulator (free in the Market) and type-in the above getprop command manually, do you see the same issue? (I suspect you will)

If you do, then for some reason, KaosFroyo does not support this (presumably ubiquitous) command.

I do not have my Eris with me at the moment to download and flash KaosFroyo to replicate and debug this issue. You could (if you are really daring), edit the gscript script yourself and remove the "exit 1" line in the related IF-statement which would allow you the script to continue on. This would give me pause however and question what other things might not work correctly given your current environment.

Why don't you let me flash the same ROM tonight and try to see what the scoop is and I'll get back to you as soon as I can?

Barring this, there are still a few other ways of installing this recovery if you are so inclined and comfortable using the Android SDK's adb tool (and have the proper adb USB driver installed).

Cheers!

Okay thanks. I have done it like 3 or 4 times today and got the same message in Gsscrpitlite. I tried both versions of your file 171 and 162 the orginal. Would it help if I can just to a hard reset back to the Verizon settings, root my phone again and do option 1 on the first page? Or do I have to be able to use the recovery menu to root my phone. i can't use it because my trackball doesn't work in recovery.

Upvote 0
Okay thanks. I have done it like 3 or 4 times today and got the same message in Gsscrpitlite. I tried both versions of your file 171 and 162 the orginal. Would it help if I can just to a hard reset back to the Verizon settings, root my phone again and do option 1 on the first page? Or do I have to be able to use the recovery menu to root my phone. i can't use it because my trackball doesn't work in recovery.

----

Like do you understand my question? I would be reformatting my phone back to the Verizon stock settings. Then I would root my phone using the link you provided and come step 18 try and do the 1st option.

Well, I think it would be much easier to verify that the getprop command is the "root" ;) cause of your issue and then deal with that (i.e., altering the gscript script). Can you verify the getprop issue?

You're going to need your trackball to flash a new ROM even if you un-root (i.e., without this tweaked custom recovery that is).

For "step 18", you mean in eriuser1's thread? You're going to get the same error/issue when you run eu1's gscript script.

Upvote 0
i INSTALLED THE android emulator and when I go and type "getprop ro.build.product command" it says command not found. what exactly do I type there? I'm fairly new to this whole rooting thing.

Well, I think you've done it right and it is confirming (bizzarely) that KaosFroyo doesn't have the getprop command readily available.

Let me flash that ROM tonight and do a little research.

edit: actually, you should have only typed "getprop ro.build.product", right? (without the quotes or the work "command")--just making sure...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones