• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best video converter app

Hi, I am a novice at video editing and converting. I have used Handbrake on a Mac and it does a great job reducing the size of mp4 files, for instance from 73MB to 12.9MB with little discernible loss in viewing quality. This was done by selecting the "web optimized" and "FFmpeg" codec output settings for the file to be created.

I need to find an video converting app (or video editing one that converts too) to be installed on friend's Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model ‪GT N7100. Sadly there is no Handbrake for Android.

Requirements:
1) The app must be installed and used on the mobile as user does not have a computer. Converted video will be transferred from mobile to google drive, i.e. we're NOT looking to convert videos to upload to mobile.
2) Due to very poor network quality and high cost the files cannot be uploaded to a video editing website. A 73MB file took approx 20 minutes to upload to google drive
3) User and I have already tested all the resolution and quality settings available to us on the mobile's camera, and no, the mms setting won't do.
4) it must be free and the free version must not leave a watermark on the produced file. Since google play does not allow a person to gift an app to another person (why???) my buying Video Converter Android Pro on her behalf is not an option.

Does anyone have a recommendation, ideally one that is comparable to Handbrake?

Thank you and best regards.

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I have a question. I'm not the most tech-savvy person, but I've fiddled around with a few video converters, and find Freemake to be my personal fave. It's pretty user friendly, faster than the others I've tried so far, and allows you to choose "Same as Original" for the output resolution (seems like a no brainer). However, I'm not sure which file size or encoding format is the best.

I currently have some MPEG4 AVI files with MP3 sound I want to convert to MP4 video, but I'm not sure if I should stick with MPEG4 or switch to H.264 with AAC audio. I'd like them to be about the same size as the original files, but I understand that different encoding formats have different file sizes. Is there any benefit to converting to the new formats?

The videos I have are all 700 MB or less, so I chose that as the output size, but I don't want to lower the quality even further. At the same time, I don't want an unnecessarily large file. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hey there,

I just recently made the move to the Note 4 after having the iPhone models for along as I can remember! I much prefer the Note 4 and so far have been happy in the short weeks I have had it.

However I am come across an issue that I have spent a huge amount of time trying to resolve without an resolution! Therefore thought would ask here! I bought a 128gb memory card just after I purchased this phone and big point of me doing that was so I could put a lot of movies and tv shows on it. I have downloaded a huge collection of movies (all in small sizes of just under 700mb each). Now I thought it would just simply be the case of loading them all onto the memory card and job done! Boy was a wrong as its been nothing but a headache since....apparently for whatever silly reason android phones don't seem to like mp4 files after doing some research online.

Now I have been to countless articles and suggestions, most state you basically have to covert them (which would be fun when I have 110 files ready to put on). Now if it REALLY had to come to that then I would do that over a huge period of time that it would take me but 1) surely there should be a much more logically solution to this? BUT worst if the converting is the only option, I still can't seem to get it to work as already gave a test video a go! I have used handbrake, fassoft, anymp4 test trial software and it still doesn't work!!! In most cases the video even when converted would just not play at all but in some instances with the different software I would atleast get it to work briefly. The best I get is the video appears to work initially after converted fine but then shortly in (about 2 mins) the video starts going fuzzy and then starts freezing/generally playing up.
I have done everything it says and selected android, even tried the option for standard android settings and another one for note but still it doesn't work when its put on my memory card. T

So naturally I am at my wits end of having no clue why something that really should be so simply is giving me so grief. If anyone with the note 4 or similar type of phone that has had this issue could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Upvote 0
apparently for whatever silly reason android phones don't seem to like mp4 files after doing some research online.

All MP4s are not created equally. ;)

MPEG-4 (MP4) is merely a 'container' file format; how the content is encoded is more important. I've found the H.264 video and AAC audio codecs to be compatible with every Android handset I've owned, as well as desktop PC software and networked media servers.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones