• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] WORKING wifi tether setup

Hey everyone,

chiming in because I picked up my S 3 this past Monday. I previously had the HTC One SV and finally was able to get it and my Nintendo 3DS to finally talk to each other via wifi tethering. Now that I have the S3 I feel like I'm going through it all over again.

What would be the best setting/app combo to use for it? At least with the TrevE mod and the right settings on my OneSV, I could see in DS mode it barely used any data, so certainly not enough to get anyone to start asking questions. ;) 3DS mode used a bit more, but still not a huge lot or anything. Trying the settings in OP didn't work for me, however. :(

Upvote 0
I just got the thing this past monday. I'd like to actually not brick it so soon.

The only thing that I really care to connect with it is the (3)DS. It did connect before using TrevE mod and the OneSV. With these settings provided, it refuses to acknowledge the phone is even there, much less allow me to connect to it. In DS mode it says it cannot find an access point that even has supportable settings in range.

Upvote 0
I know nothing of 3ds... I'm trying to troubleshoot.... Can you connect your HTC one sv to your s3?....
I really don't know. One other person could not get it to work either but it worked for hundreds of others... The only thing I can say is check the steps again... Take you time... Maybe uninstall and reinstall.... Or try a custom rom... Or try a paid version...

Good luck

Upvote 0
I know nothing of 3ds... I'm trying to troubleshoot.... Can you connect your HTC one sv to your s3?....
I really don't know. One other person could not get it to work either but it worked for hundreds of others... The only thing I can say is check the steps again... Take you time... Maybe uninstall and reinstall.... Or try a custom rom... Or try a paid version...

Good luck
The OneSV needed the generic jb/wlan thing, and then auto for the other. I had to turn off security for the sake of the DS mode, since TrevE won't let me do anything other than WPA2-PSK, and DS mode games won't understand that. But at least it has access control. :)

It was a miracle enough that of all the phones I'd had the one SV plus this app plus the right settings seemed to get it to work. Until then, I'd tried umpteen different apps on umpteen different phones and the farthest I would get is that the tethering access point was visible to the 3DS, but it would fail every single time. This is the first time where I've tried and it's refused to show up at all. :( All I do know in this regard is that the DS and 3DS by extension do not cope with ad-hoc tethering at all.

Just figures that an accident claims my OneSV and now that I am on what is/was a landmark/flagship phone I can't get it to work again. :(

Upvote 0
The OneSV needed the generic jb/wlan thing, and then auto for the other. I had to turn off security for the sake of the DS mode, since TrevE won't let me do anything other than WPA2-PSK, and DS mode games won't understand that. But at least it has access control. :)

It was a miracle enough that of all the phones I'd had the one SV plus this app plus the right settings seemed to get it to work. Until then, I'd tried umpteen different apps on umpteen different phones and the farthest I would get is that the tethering access point was visible to the 3DS, but it would fail every single time. This is the first time where I've tried and it's refused to show up at all. :( All I do know in this regard is that the DS and 3DS by extension do not cope with ad-hoc tethering at all.

Just figures that an accident claims my OneSV and now that I am on what is/was a landmark/flagship phone I can't get it to work again. :(

I've still got my SV but went ahead and bought the S3. I know what you mean about the TreveMod on it. I was using it.

Seriously, if this mod isn't working for you then your best bet would be to flash one of the Touch Whiz ROMs listed in the Working ROMS/MODS/KERNELS/ECT for the Boost S3 thread. I would go with either Wicked Sensations or MOAR. They are very easy to set up and both have hacked Sprint hotspots.

Here's a link to the thread if you want to take a look.
http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...4-working-roms-mods-kernels-ect-boost-s3.html

Upvote 0
The OP didn't work for me, but after playing with the settings for a while, I got it working!

Here's my settings:
Device profile: Samsung Galaxy S3
Setup method: netd-ndc
Send netd Max client cmd: check
Wifi-driver reload: check (First one, not #2)
Mss clamping: check
Routing fix: check

I left DNS as the default google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Also did:
Goto settings -

Upvote 0
The OP didn't work for me, but after playing with the settings for a while, I got it working!

Here's my settings:
Device profile: Samsung Galaxy S3
Setup method: netd-ndc
Send netd Max client cmd: check
Wifi-driver reload: check (First one, not #2)
Mss clamping: check
Routing fix: check

I left DNS as the default google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Also did:
Goto settings -

Reactions: daveams
Upvote 0
Okay, I must be missing something here. In neither case, do I ever see a "send netd max client cmd" option on TrevE whether or not I enable that option. Routing fix and MSS clamp are always checked.

And even with this fresh S3 that has been updated and rooted, I still cannot get it to show up as an access point to my 3DS in either DS or 3DS mode. In DS mode it just quits before it even lists any access points. :(

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I must be using a different wifi tether. Cant' find anything in mine about TrevE. (Just copied the apk from my last phone.)

I'm using version:
3.3-beta2-06102013 ***Synergized***
(android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com)

There are a few versions out there. Pretty sure the Treve Mod I used with my SV was different than the one here.

Upvote 0
Just noticed something weird. If I've used wifi tether, regular wifi won't turn on. I have to reboot to use it. Once I reboot, works perfectly ... until I use wifi tether.

Tried toggling airplane mode to see if it would reset the wifi adapter, but it didn't work.

Not a big deal to me, since I hardly ever use wifi except for tethering. Anyone else notice this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones