• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can Motorola Symbol TC55 PDA run Android 6.0 or 7.0?

bak6i6at

Lurker
Jun 13, 2018
Hello, i use at work my Motorola Symbol TC55 PDA (gsm version), but the app where i run on that device will no longer work on android 4.x version, and i need to change the devise. My question is can i use the same device but to install Android 6 or above on it? How can i check that the hardware will work with newer version or the scanner from the device will work too? Any advice will be helpful.

Here are the specs of the device : https://www.zebra.com/us/en/products/spec-sheets/mobile-computers/handheld/tc55.html

There is NO WAY this device will run a recent version of Android.

Most new Android devices have 3GB RAM or more: it's necessary because the Android operating system will consume over 1GB of that, just by running. The TC55 only has 1GB RAM - even if there was a way to force the installation, the only thing it could do is run Android. Poorly. There would be no memory left to open and run the applications you need. I'm very confident that a newer device will be smoother, faster and more versatile than you can imagine.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
There is NO WAY this device will run a recent version of Android.

Most new Android devices have 3GB RAM or more: it's necessary because the Android operating system will consume over 1GB of that, just by running. The TC55 only has 1GB RAM - even if there was a way to force the installation, the only thing it could do is run Android. Poorly. There would be no memory left to open and run the applications you need. I'm very confident that a newer device will be smoother, faster and more versatile than you can imagine.

Agreed.. You'd be making real progress getting KitKat on that device and even that's so outdated and difficult to bring up, it truly isn't worth the headache just for KK. And I don't think they even have security patches on them like we need now.. @ OP, Plz get yourself a new device with newer security. Current thieves' capabilities can bring your life down and clear your finances if you don't safeguard yourself

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones