• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging issues...

Lately, my Spectrum has had some trouble charging. I have to get the charger in there just right to get it to charge. Sometimes when charging it says it is slow charging even though I am using a wall charger.

Also, when I charge at work, I use my computer, it will charge but cannot switch to mass storage. In fact I usually get a warning saying it cannot recognize my device.

Is this common with the Spectrum? I have a year till my upgrade so I hope my phone isn't starting to die.

Thoughts?

Lately, my Spectrum has had some trouble charging. I have to get the charger in there just right to get it to charge. Sometimes when charging it says it is slow charging even though I am using a wall charger.

Also, when I charge at work, I use my computer, it will charge but cannot switch to mass storage. In fact I usually get a warning saying it cannot recognize my device.

Is this common with the Spectrum? I have a year till my upgrade so I hope my phone isn't starting to die.

Thoughts?
Replace your USB cable with a newer good quality one. If it feels flimsy when you buy it, it probably is. I've had very good luck with my Belkin cables. The cheap $6 ones tend to only last a few months before the micro USB port starts to fritz out.

Upvote 0
Trying some other chargers in the office to see if it the charger or the phone. Today, it actually lost power while charging on my computer. Might have to buy a spare wall adapter. Maybe that would be the best thing.

If you using the phone while charging on your computer losing power is quite possible because this kind of charging will charge the phone only with the half amperage as charging with the wall charger (the charger which came with the phone).

And I think you'd buy a new LG wall charger :)
I just re-read your posts, you'd try before a new quality microUSB cable as Neph81 said.
Your actual cable might have a broken data wire.

Harry

Reactions: RunAwayWojo316
Upvote 0
It sounds to me like the pin/piece inside your phone where the charger connects to got bent or maybe pushed down further than it should be. I have the same problem with mine, and the charger connector has to be positioned just right otherwise it wont charge. My suggestion is to somehow gently kinda try to adjust the connector in the phone as not to damage it or push it further in. With the battery charger I have my phone doesnt really need to be plugged in ever, so I havent tried to fix mine.

Upvote 0
It sounds to me like the pin/piece inside your phone where the charger connects to got bent or maybe pushed down further than it should be. I have the same problem with mine, and the charger connector has to be positioned just right otherwise it wont charge. My suggestion is to somehow gently kinda try to adjust the connector in the phone as not to damage it or push it further in. With the battery charger I have my phone doesnt really need to be plugged in ever, so I havent tried to fix mine.

What battery charger do you have?

Upvote 0
So my charging situation got worse and worse, where it actually was losing power when plugged in via USB, no matter what USB I used.

Also, wall charging always resulting in "slow charging."

I used the Verizon Chat to talk to someone about it and after a couple conversations that got interrupted on my end, they are sending me a replacement Spectrum.

They decided that the problem was with my phone and not the chargers. I did everything the technicians suggested (which included a complete reset) and they are sending me a new phone. A replacement Spectrum.

If you are a Verizon customer I highly recommend their chat service on their website.

Also thanks to all who commented here!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones