1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Clone ESN to use Sprint phone on Virgin Mobile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PieBob1010

PieBob1010 Active Member

Alright first off I would like to say please no flaming, trolling, etc for what I am about to ask. I realize it is a fairly extreme concept and I have no idea if it is possible. Keep in mind I have no coding experience, but I am fairly proficient in understanding how these things work.

Anyways, here is my proposition:
    I own a Samsung Intercept for Virgin Mobile. I am currently using the $25 a month unlimited data/texting and 300 minutes plan. I am trying to figure out a way that it would be possible to use a Sprint phone (such as an EVO) on Virgin Mobile's $25 a month plan.
    So here's my proposition: would it be possible to strip the ESN from the Intercept, assign it to the Sprint phone, and then have the Sprint phone operate on the Virgin Network?
    If this would work, how would I go about doing it? Keep in mind I do not yet own said Sprint phone and I don't want to drop the money to buy it until I am sure this will work.
    Also, if this particular method wouldn't work, is there another way I could use a Sprint phone on VM's network?

Advertisement
  2. I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

Also, VM doesn't have a network.
  3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

The Feds have made it a major crime to clone ESNs, due to their crackdown of drug syndicates who use cloned ESNs to commit crime. I would not think of doing such a thing.

By the way, moving this to the lounge.
  4. TampaShooters

TampaShooters Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's against Federal law.
  5. chuckctv

chuckctv New Member

now can someone get a PM on the info???
  6. gatorback

gatorback Member

I wish people would not quote what the "think" the law is and how it is applied. Under the DCMA exceptions, modification of devices for fair use is acceptable. If you are engaging a technology to steal, then you are going to have a problem. If you are using a technology for fair use (modding your phone and paying for the service) then you are covered under the DCMA. If I create a backup phone, with my ESN and only use one phone at a time, I am not stealing anything. Next thing you know, someone is going to spout off that SIM unlocking your phone is illegal....
    hiwatt and UnixPimp like this.
  7. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Why? Because the FCC says so.
    FCC: Wireless Services: Cellular Services: Operations: Fraud
  8. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.