• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Clone ESN to use Sprint phone on Virgin Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieBob1010

Jun 15, 2011
Alright first off I would like to say please no flaming, trolling, etc for what I am about to ask. I realize it is a fairly extreme concept and I have no idea if it is possible. Keep in mind I have no coding experience, but I am fairly proficient in understanding how these things work.

Anyways, here is my proposition:
I own a Samsung Intercept for Virgin Mobile. I am currently using the $25 a month unlimited data/texting and 300 minutes plan. I am trying to figure out a way that it would be possible to use a Sprint phone (such as an EVO) on Virgin Mobile's $25 a month plan.
So here's my proposition: would it be possible to strip the ESN from the Intercept, assign it to the Sprint phone, and then have the Sprint phone operate on the Virgin Network?
If this would work, how would I go about doing it? Keep in mind I do not yet own said Sprint phone and I don't want to drop the money to buy it until I am sure this will work.
Also, if this particular method wouldn't work, is there another way I could use a Sprint phone on VM's network?

I wish people would not quote what the "think" the law is and how it is applied. Under the DCMA exceptions, modification of devices for fair use is acceptable. If you are engaging a technology to steal, then you are going to have a problem. If you are using a technology for fair use (modding your phone and paying for the service) then you are covered under the DCMA. If I create a backup phone, with my ESN and only use one phone at a time, I am not stealing anything. Next thing you know, someone is going to spout off that SIM unlocking your phone is illegal....

Reactions: hiwatt and UnixPimp
Upvote 0
I wish people would not quote what the "think" the law is and how it is applied. Under the DCMA exceptions, modification of devices for fair use is acceptable. If you are engaging a technology to steal, then you are going to have a problem. If you are using a technology for fair use (modding your phone and paying for the service) then you are covered under the DCMA. If I create a backup phone, with my ESN and only use one phone at a time, I am not stealing anything. Next thing you know, someone is going to spout off that SIM unlocking your phone is illegal....

Cellular fraud is defined as the unauthorized use, tampering, or manipulation of a cellular phone or service. Cellular industry estimates indicate that carriers lose millions per year to cellular fraud, with the principal cause being subscription fraud. Subscriber fraud occurs when a subscriber signs up for service with fraudulently obtained customer information or false identification.
In the past, cloning of cellular phones was a major concern. A cloned cellular telephone is one that has been reprogrammed to transmit the electronic serial number (ESN) and telephone number (MIN) belonging to another (legitimate) cellular telephone. Unscrupulous persons obtain valid ESN/MIN combinations by illegally monitoring the transmissions from the cellular telephones of legitimate subscribers. Each cellular telephone is supposed to have a unique factory-set ESN. After cloning, however, because both cellular telephones have the same ESN/MIN combination, cellular systems cannot distinguish the cloned cellular telephone from the legitimate one.
The Commission considers any knowing use of cellular telephone with an altered ESN to be a violation of the Communications Act (Section 301) and alteration of the ESN in a cellular telephone to be assisting in such violation. The Wireless Telephone Protection Act (Public Law 105-172) was signed into law on April 24, 1998, expanding the prior law to criminalize the use, possession, manufacture or sale of cloning hardware or software. The cellular equipment manufacturing industry has deployed authentication systems that have proven to be a very effective countermeasure to cloning. Authentication supplements the use of the ESN and MIN with a changing encrypted code that can not be obtained by off-the-air monitoring.
Why? Because the FCC says so.
FCC: Wireless Services: Cellular Services: Operations: Fraud

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones