• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Creating a bootable linux CD soley to SBF *headache free*

We're just not gonna get you to leave RSDlite our we?......lol. I gotta admit, RSDlite is easy to use. This option just takes the driver problems out of the equation.

Nope, I see no reason to use this. I've never had any issues setting up the drivers on any PC I've used, I guess I'm just lucky ;)

You should have all the drivers setup anyway to do other things on the phone.

Maybe when the day comes that I have issues setting up the drivers I will use this :D

Upvote 0
Just like when you do math, you should learn how to work out problems properly without skipping steps so you get a full understanding of what you are doing, and once you understand the concept you can skip steps, etc.

Of course, that's just my point of view ;)

So maybe you should learn to use a slide rule before using a calculator? :D

We had a 6 ft long slide rule in engineering class that the teacher demonstrated how to use.

Upvote 0
Alright guys, the script has been updated and is a little more user friendly.
I have an .iso available for froyo and one for GB

@Aggie12
If you don't mind editing your OP here with a new copy of my OP at DXF it would be appreciated, some things have changed.

Enjoy!

updated the OP. Thanks for all your hard work. It's greatly appreciated.

Reactions: xmike
Upvote 0
The Mac instructions just kinda stop here;

You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes
Select display (There may be a delay after selecting the display size)

Can you please expand on what happens and what you need to do after you see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes? TIA

xmike, the instructions on that part are only to get it to boot up. The instructions for flashing pick up after the windows part here:

You will now be in the script and ready to flash.
Put phone in bootloader (remove and reinstall battery, hold volume up, volume down and power for a couple seconds then release).
The pc screen will look like this:

Upvote 0
The Mac instructions just kinda stop here;

You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes
Select display (There may be a delay after selecting the display size)

Can you please expand on what happens and what you need to do after you see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes? TIA

Aggie, gave me the same directions and kind of walked me through it. This works so well, my wife got sick of me trying different root options, roms and sbf'ing my phone like every hour to try something else. It's because I let her play angry birds on my phone (it plays a little better oc'd) and it gets reset every time.

I am not PC/MAC/Linux inner workings literate so any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

After the disc starts up you will need to select a couple of options, display, sound etc. Then you just need to let the program know the phone is plugged in and ready to go.

I use a Mac at home so it is very nice to have someone like Aggie out here spreading knowledge of OSX/AOS compatibility. You don't need an iPhone in order to play nice with an Apple any more.

Thanks again for all here who have saved us newbies from ourselves.

Upvote 0
Aggie, gave me the same directions and kind of walked me through it. This works so well, my wife got sick of me trying different root options, roms and sbf'ing my phone like every hour to try something else. It's because I let her play angry birds on my phone (it plays a little better oc'd) and it gets reset every time.

I am not PC/MAC/Linux inner workings literate so any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

After the disc starts up you will need to select a couple of options, display, sound etc. Then you just need to let the program know the phone is plugged in and ready to go.

I use a Mac at home so it is very nice to have someone like Aggie out here spreading knowledge of OSX/AOS compatibility. You don't need an iPhone in order to play nice with an Apple any more.

Thanks again for all here who have saved us newbies from ourselves.

No problem man! Just trying to spread the word! The guy who gets all the credit is a few posts up. He doesn't really frequent this forum and I couldn't let you all miss out on his great work :p

Reactions: 1KDS
Upvote 0
Reactions: ozzzy3z and KX4SAM
Upvote 0
Hi
Saw the question about extracting files from ISO and copying them to CD and thought I would jump in.

An ISO image is a complete backup of the contents and boot loader of a CD.

To use it you dont extract anything you just use software that understands ISO images to burn the image to a CD.

in Vista/7 you can right click an ISO and choose open with Windows Disk Image Burner. or shoose burn image to disk.

In XP you can use free programs like CDBurnerXP and ISOCreator to burn an ISO to a CD (to recreate the original CD). XP doesnt have a built in way to burn an image to disk.

Dont extract any files from the ISO image...:)
Hope that helps.

Michael

Upvote 0
For sure it works on a mac. All I do is mac. Well I dual-boot snow leopard and ubuntu 10.04.

And I wouldn't post something I didn't try :p I didn't even need to SBF but did anyway to check it out.

Don't be scared when it says loading /boot/roofs.gz and then it fills your screen with yellow dots. It takes a few minutes.

Edit: I put it in the stick with all the major links. I put the link to this thread so people can ask questions here as well.

The first one is for the mac, right?

Upvote 0
Has anyone found a way, or a link to a bootable Linux cd to auto SBF a Droid X2?

I am now stuck with one since VZW is using X2's as warranty replacements to the original Droid X

I am in fear of doing too much tweaking with out a simple and fool proof recovery option.

i do believe that since they couldnt replace your X with another X you could have suggested a different device of equal or lessor value that they offered. but thats only an assumption.

but i think there is a new sbf file out right now, though im not sure, because p3 has stated that GB is coming for the X2 very soon and he will be working on rooting it, i imagine at least.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones