CWM-based touch recovery

Last Updated:

1. totlth

totlth Well-Known Member

I have put together a touch recovery that I am now testing functionality on.So far it will backup and restore and touch seems to be working. Flash with dd on emulator or adb.
    I used the recovery from the warp2 and tweaked it til it worked.

***Edit...Mod update***: this thread and its link is no longer supported by the OP. He is working on some other things for future threads. We will leave this thread open for now
    Thanks for your contribution totlth

Update:4/8/13
    This download has cwm6030 with support for backing up sd-ext if you have it
    mod removed non working link

recognizes internal and external sdcard
    no mount usb mass storage

Update:3/27/13
    this is link to recovery w/usb mass storage mount
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50339543/touch-recovery2.zip

mount usb mass storage is working on my end on 3 diff os, but
    it no longer recognizes the internal sdcard (i.e. sdcard2)
    backups and restore go straight to the external sdcard (i.e. sdcard)

adb instructions:
    unzip and put on sdcard, name it whatever you like but remember the name
    connect phone to pc and make sure usb debugging is enable on your phone
    if you're on windows the path variables should automatically be defined when you installed the android sdk, if your on linux youl have to add your path manually

open terminal/cmd
    type : adb shell
    hit enter
    type : dd if=/sdcard/"whatever-you-named-the-image-without-the-quotes".img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    hit enter and wait
    when prompt returns
    type : reboot recovery
    hit enter

terminal emulator instructions:
    unzip and put on sdcard, name it whatever you like but remember the name
    open terminal emulator and
    type: su
    hit enter, if prompted allow root permssion
    type : dd if=/sdcard/"whatever-you-named-the-image-without-the-quotes".img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    hit enter
    when prompt returns
    type : reboot recovery
    hit enter

Update 4/15/13
    Tip: if you're having trouble(i.e. file not found, no such file, etc.)
    Double check your sdcard to see the exact name and path of the .img file.

btw - I'm not a developer nor do I claim to be
    I don't care if you link to this post or if you make improvements/changes to recovery
    nor do I care about receiving credit. although thanks are appreciated/ not necessary

I just like to share what I've learned with like minded individuals
    stay groovy yall and share the knowledge:D

Advertisement
  2. DjSidEShoW

DjSidEShoW Well-Known Member

Well, I flashed the recovery, made backups, and all the menus work. Even the soft buttons on the phone work. Home and menu go up and down and the back button does just that, go's back a menu. I haven't restored a backup yet but it seems like it will work. I will test a restore today And let you know what happened.
    Rapture81g and totlth like this.
  3. jerryag

jerryag Well-Known Member

It appears CWM is coming a long ways, Shabby has one that works and now this guy, sweet. I'm curious to as what does or does not work in this I beleive I'll flash it and test as well now that Dj confirms it flashes properly.

Edit: I tested the CWM out. I successfully backed up and restored perfectly fine. The issues are the same as Shabby's Recovery minus the text wrap within the interface. The USB and ADB from recovery do not work, everything else appears fine. Also, the dating for recovery files is a bit off "1970" lol but, this Recovery is just as functional as Shabby's.
    Rapture81g and totlth like this.
  4. clubanger96

clubanger96 Well-Known Member

great to know that its working how do we install it?
  5. jerryag

You can use dd or fastboot which ever you wish.

For dd:
    Copy touch-recovery.img to the root of your SDcard.

For fastboot (touch-recovery.img in the same folder as your fastboot.exe)
    - Method does not work for Windows 8 users

I have tried both Shabby and tolth's recoveries both seem to be pretty solid and equalivant other than Shabby has an awesome rainbow theme to his. I have this touch version on my own device currently as it does not text wrap and the interface works flawlessly.

Shabby explains in his thread also how to flash from terminal emulator if you guys want to view his directions http://androidforums.com/official-unloved-devices-hit-squad-oudhs/702245-zte-avid-4g-elden-cwm.html
    JrossiX, Rapture81g and totlth like this.
  6. totlth

totlth Well-Known Member

I may have a way to fix mount islands in recovery. But I had to reload the laptop I was using. It's almost done updating now, so probably/hopefully I will have it "fingered" out. Lol :D
  7. jerryag

Do you have an IRC Network you chat on. I would gladly flash it to test for you before you release it on forums.
    totlth likes this.
  8. Rapture81g

Rapture81g Well-Known Member

nice work. :) now if we could get some roms :) :)
    totlth likes this.
  9. jerryag

It's nice that two CWM were rolled out close to one another. I am not speaking for Shabby but I'm not sure if his interest in this device is high. He gave us CWM but, I beleive this touch if it is up to par as far as 100% functionality soon will be the main recovery we use unless Shabby updates his soon as well. Then we'll have a choice of touch and Shabby's Rainbow Penguin CWM mod.
    Rapture81g likes this.
  10. Rapture81g

yeah I never expected these 2 great CWM's to roll out so close together. got some great people here.
    totlth likes this.
  11. totlth

totlth Well-Known Member

"island" that's gotta be autocorrect
    It was suppose to say usb ms :confused:
  12. jerryag

I hate when that happens x.x autocorrect fails us from time to time D:
    totlth likes this.
  13. totlth

totlth Well-Known Member

Does any ones PC recognize their avid when it's in recovery?

nevermind
  14. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

as i told you in irc, requisite0 is your best hope of getting the device files fixed up more. while the cwm isnt perfect it will do exactly what everyone needs it to do which is nandroid and flash zips. with those two big things you need for people to start feeling safe enough to mess around with their phones :). does teh touch recovery not do the word wrap even when you scroll via volume keys?

totlth, st pete sucks. kenneth city is worlds better ;P
    totlth likes this.
  15. DjSidEShoW

No, it does not word rap when you use the volume keys.
    totlth likes this.
  16. jerryag

Nah it doesn't text wrap even when vol up/down. USB MS doesn't work for me, could be the windows 8 issue. OP said he has it working for himself. Backup/restore works. I don't know if flashing zips works however.

I'm trying to help them feel safe by sacraficing myself at testing what needs to be tested x.x
    totlth likes this.
  17. DjSidEShoW

HOW TO INSTALL USING TERMINAL EMULATOR

1. Put touch-recovery.img In the root of your SD card

2.Open terminal emulator

3.Type: Su

4.Press enter

5. Type: dd if=/sdcard/touch-recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

6.Press enter

7. Enjoy
    totlth likes this.
  18. Rapture81g

I can help test whatever need to be tested. just point me the way. I mean as long as I got recovery what could go wrong? lol

just shoot me a message
    totlth likes this.
  19. clubanger96

clubanger96 Well-Known Member

thanks guys got it working looks good :)

now our next thing to do on the to do list is some roms and we will be good to go
    totlth likes this.
  20. Rapture81g

:D^^I agree^^
    totlth likes this.
  21. totlth

totlth Well-Known Member

Has any one tried the updated one? I'm curious if others are having same issue as jerryag.
  22. totlth

totlth Well-Known Member

If you ask me, st pete and kenneth city suck lol. But I avoid all 5 blocks of Kenneth city whenever I can. :cool:
  23. droidhaxz

droidhaxz Well-Known Member

I managed to get recovery working but only if I type reboot recovery otherwise trying to boot into it normally using the volume down, it sends me to the previous recovery (prada) & i can't find a way to boot into this one, any suggestions? :D
    totlth likes this.
  24. totlth

totlth Well-Known Member

How did you flash it?
    The only flash method that I have tested is the dd method thru term emulator or adb.
  25. Rapture81g

I flashed thru terminal aswell. isn't booting volume down suppose to be ftm mode and volume up recovery? lol
    totlth likes this.