• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CWM] Development Thread

I tried using the compiled recovery.img from builder.clockworkmod.com. my new recovery.img is 126kb bigger than my stock recovery.img. I flashed the new one using flash_image to get an error closing recovery blah blah. I am assuming the compiled .img is bigger than the partition and wont install. I used flash_image to reflash my stock .img and everything was good. Now in reading about you removing the images from the .img instead of removing them have you thought about replacing them using a simple color background at a 2kb size? maybe something in the .img is looking for them and wont continue to proceed cause it cant find them.

I used the http://www.freeware4android.net/get-software-175766.html Partition Table App to check out more about the partition sizes on the coolpad. ITs showing it only has a 5mb partition for Recovery with 180mb free in the data partition.

I see that after you removed them you were able to flash the .img because it dropped it below the 5.0mb partition size. I think it was compiled with those images for a reason. im a noob and I might be wrong. but so far I've managed to get this far. Perhaps maybe increase the recovery partition size to 6mb and try it then?

Upvote 0
If it had a locked bootloader it should give some sort of error when attempting to boot cwm or a repacked boot.img. Something along the lines of failed signature etc etc etc.

The partition size cant just be increased, thus the img has to be at or below 5MB. Most of the images arent for anything important, but removing only allows the img to flash, it still didnt boot, or at least boot correctly. And without having this thing in hand, its kinda hard for me to diagnose it further really.

Upvote 0
Well when I flashed the 5.2 recovery it kicked back a error can not close recovery I booted it back into recovery for it to just skip over recovery and boot back into my OS. I then reflashed my stock recovery and rebooted and went into to recovery mode.

My idea is to basically create dummy pictures inside the .img that are only 1 por 2k insize instead of just completely removing them, cause its coming up to a blank black screen and that's it. My thinking on this something inside the recovery is calling for those images and its not finding them so its stopping itself from loading into recovery. It cant load if its not finding something that's sposed to be there.

Upvote 0
If I could just find a way to modify the recovery.img I got to tired last night to pursue any other means of doing it. I am even considering asking the guys from CWM to look into and making it just a wee bit smaller. Or a way to compile it to the 5.x.x.x instead of 6.x.x.x for Android 4.2 support. This phone really I think would only handle 4.0 max I don't know about Android 4.2 which 6.x.x.x is optimized for.

I kind of wish the builder from cwm allowed you to tell it what size your recovery partition was so it could adjust itself and output a proper sized .img.

Upvote 0
the pictures in the recovery.img are .png

Arent .jpegs smaller than .pngs? would it be possible to convert these images to jpeg and repack them perhaps maybe making the output size smaller? we only need to knock off 140kbs of file size. I tested it starting with a .bmp at 5.4mbs I saved it as a .png at 2.4mbs then saved it to a jpeg at 800kbs. for a substantial 1.6mb size decrease from a .png.

Upvote 0
kenboyles already tired w/o the images, I have already tried cwm 5 - 6, and kenyboyles and myself have consulted with utkanos and others who work with koush. utkanos basically said nothing can be done until kernel src is available to do it properly. Something is funky with this device, I will check with a few contacts to see if I can get one to tinker with.

Upvote 0
this is an odd situation cause it seems they knowingly deadlocked it so we can't have access to improving our phone. I got a similar email from them when I asked for a rom of the original phone state for recovery purposes. But I have some faith, because I know there is always a way. Considering they no longer market this phone to MetroPCS and it has been discontinued you would think they would release the source code for it.

Upvote 0
I know you have tried w/o them which I assume means stripping them from the recovery.img however has anyone tried just replacing them with smaller file size replacements such as a picture of just a color or a .jpeg which uses less data? Dummy images basically to fool into thinking they are there but aren't.

we tried using cwm5 which builds a img that fits within the 5MB but it still didnt boot correctly.

Upvote 0
this is an odd situation cause it seems they knowingly deadlocked it so we can't have access to improving our phone. I got a similar email from them when I asked for a rom of the original phone state for recovery purposes. But I have some faith, because I know there is always a way. Considering they no longer market this phone to MetroPCS and it has been discontinued you would think they would release the source code for it.

I uploaded a flashable zip of modded stock. No way to use it though, flash_image can't even flash the img of it to the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones