• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disappointed in Sprints speeds in your area?

Dan slow speeds do suck but if you have bad 3g then LTE is not going to be any better. Most people don't understand that LTE is going to cover the same area as 3g. I hate to give you the bad news but it sounds like you might be in a dead spot area.

Oakland, Berkeley, and San Francisco must be dead areas then. Over the past few days it has gotten worse. Sometimes I have no signal at all. I have done PRL and profile updates regularly with no improvement. I've been waiting 1.5 years for things to get better. I really should switch like all my friends have told me to do. I should go with Verizon. It's expensive but it's the best here. And I get a big discount through work.

Upvote 0
... and often (as happened yesterday), I had no signal at all for a good 10-15 minutes. I was unable to do anything that involved data, and the sync icon (the rotating arrows) remained stuck in my notification bar, as if the phone was trying to find a connection. At one point, the 3G icon itself disappeared, I assume because it just couldn't connect.

I've been keeping my Evo 4G LTE selected to CDMA only (3G) for the time being during network upgrades. I've found that the handoff from 3G -> 4G or 4G -> 3G in my area (MN) is not very consistent. I think I'm right on the edge of LTE coverage and so the signal tends to be waffling between 4G and 3G often. Sometimes during the handoff from 4G back to 3G, the 3G radio will get "stuck" or not turn back on for a period of time when I believe the phone is actively trying to reconnect to the weak 4G signal - up to 10-15 minutes does not seem out of the realm of possibility.
I've found that toggling the 4G settings back to CDMA only or flipping on Airplane Mode will cycle the connection. I've used some LTE and it is really fun and exciting but since I don't want to be waiting around for the connection to establish or fuss with these settings all the time, I've decided to just enjoy 3G only until a later date :)

Reactions: JohnJSal
Upvote 0
I've been keeping my Evo 4G LTE selected to CDMA only (3G) for the time being during network upgrades. I've found that the handoff from 3G -> 4G or 4G -> 3G in my area (MN) is not very consistent. I think I'm right on the edge of LTE coverage and so the signal tends to be waffling between 4G and 3G often. Sometimes during the handoff from 4G back to 3G, the 3G radio will get "stuck" or not turn back on for a period of time when I believe the phone is actively trying to reconnect to the weak 4G signal - up to 10-15 minutes does not seem out of the realm of possibility.
I've found that toggling the 4G settings back to CDMA only or flipping on Airplane Mode will cycle the connection. I've used some LTE and it is really fun and exciting but since I don't want to be waiting around for the connection to establish or fuss with these settings all the time, I've decided to just enjoy 3G only until a later date :)

I did try this once but it didn't seem to help, it still wouldn't connect to 3G, but maybe I'll try it again for a longer period of time (although Houston supposedly has 4G!).

Upvote 0
Well, well, well, it seems that Sprint does believe in some accountability for its executives after all. Dan Hesse and other executives were punished at the beginning of February for the lagging progress of Network Vision. It's good to see that there is some accountability but I really don't think it will have much of a practical effect on the ground where the customers need coverage that is reliable and fast.

Lagging network progress costs Sprint CEO nearly 200K shares - Kansas City Business Journal

Upvote 0

The only thing that's keeping me with Sprint is the unlimited data but I absolutely refuse to spend another dime on a cell phone until they give me the speeds that I feel have been promised but not delivered.

I know a lot of people still waiting for Sprint to upgrade. A while back I heard they were 4G in a few areas close by but they are not 4G now. But their 3G around here runs pretty good if you can get away from the big cities.

Sprint has to get better because they can't get much worse and they are still the cheapest way to get a static IP address for a mobile phone because they only want $3 a month for one but then again not many people want a static IP address.

Upvote 0
mu3u2ume.jpg

This is by far the fastest 3g speeds I've ever seen (on my devices at least) and I do a fair bit of late night tests that barely hit 1mbps if that.

Network vision finally coming together? :eek::D

Upvote 0
I've complained (along with many others) about the atrocious 3G speeds under Sprint's network. The area I live in has terrible 3G speeds (sub-100kbps) and is still that way. I was up in Bellingham last week which is a city that has always has very good speeds. And all of a sudden my phone kicks in to 4G LTE. I run a speed test and see 27,000kbps!

Now, like I said, Bellingham always had good 3G speeds...around 1000kbps. So, of course, they get upgraded to LTE before an area that really needs help is upgraded. The entire Burlington/Mt Vernon/Sedro-Woolley/Anacortes has worthless 3G (latest test was 16kpbs!). See attachment for comparison.

I guess the silver-lining is that when we do finally get upgraded, life will be good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-02-08-10-53 (Small).png
    Screenshot_2013-06-02-08-10-53 (Small).png
    52.5 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
I live in a suburb of a major city where I get LTE. If I go into the heart of downtown: zero LTE/spotty 3G. Since I just moved to this area I've been testing out the 4G and especially late at night I've had regular speeds of around 11-18mbps download. That makes for some crystal clear streaming on YouTube! I have only been a customer since December and have been looking on Sprint's site to watch the deployment of 4G. I was told to be patient by several area reps. Now that I'm finally in an LTE area it's paying off. Hang in there. Once we have full 4G + unlimited data it'll be a good time! :)

Upvote 0
Ive noticed they dont always leave them on. The past several weekends I've been able to catch it in my neighborhood, but many times during the week when my area is congested (i live downtown in a business area) its off. Its likely you caught it during a period of testing before the actual rollout.

Especially if you are in an area thats not an official market.

Upvote 0
Ive noticed they dont always leave them on. The past several weekends I've been able to catch it in my neighborhood, but many times during the week when my area is congested (i live downtown in a business area) its off. Its likely you caught it during a period of testing before the actual rollout.

Especially if you are in an area thats not an official market.

That be's the tr00f! (lol). Same thing happening here in NYC. Used to get LTE signal all the time in/around my office, but now I'm lucky if I can even connect in the early AM.

Upvote 0
@DragonSlayer95

That's about DOUBLE what I get on a daily basis. Sometimes my data speeds are even worse than half what you're getting.

Download: 0.81 Mbps
Upload: 0.29 Mbps
Ping: 184 ms

Here's one I just did:

Well, I wish I could get that much speed at work.

I just ran a speed test here at work in Berkeley, CA right now and here it is:

Download: 76kbps
Upload: 147kbps
Ping: 108ms

I work on a second floor with a large open window in front of my desk so there are minimal blocks to any signal I should be receiving.

And I've clocked worse speeds. That's why Sprint customer service is giving me $25 per month off of my bill for the next four months. I've been suffering with these speeds at work for 10 months or so. At least I feel partially vindicated that they finally gave me something for the trouble of living with terrible network issues for the past 10 months.

Allegedly they are launching Network Vision here this month or next (it keeps getting delayed). So they say they are "working on it." I've heard it for 10 months while calling to complain every couple of months when I feel like I can't take it anymore.

I sure hope they successfully launch here. I'm tired of it. I just want speeds that are better than what I got in the days of dial up modems.

Upvote 0
My wife and I both bought the Evo3D when it was first released. We never ended up with 4G Wimax where we live. We did get the NV upgrades and 4GLTE, but of course, the Evo3D can't use LTE. I generally did not get more than 100kbps on 3G, and many times would be down around 25 to 30. Last night, we finally broke down and upgraded to the HTC One. Best Buy had them for $99. At my house, I still do not get 4G, and my 3G only gets 1 or 2 bars. Holy cow, what a difference the radios in the One make though. With only 1 or 2 bars of 3G, I was averaging about 500KBps. A few blocks down the road, I get 4G. Have only run a couple speed tests for it, but I am getting around 11MBps on 4G. I'm sure people are getting better speeds than that, but the difference even on 3G is like night and day. I don't know if the radios themselves are just better, or if they run at different frequencies. Whatever it is, for the first time in years on the Sprint network, I don't feel like my phone can only use the internet if I am on Wifi.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
A few blocks down the road, I get 4G. Have only run a couple speed tests for it, but I am getting around 11MBps on 4G. I'm sure people are getting better speeds than that, but the difference even on 3G is like night and day.

LTE speeds sound accurate. You might see higher in lower density areas, but after some usage it should sit between 8-10, which is already more than what anyone could possibly need on a mobile phone.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Something must be going on with the tower near my work here in Wichita, KS. Generally, I have been getting pretty good 4G speed and signal, and even on 3G, I have been getting several hundred kbps. Today, I can't get a 4G signal at all, and I just ran 5 Speedtests in a row. Although my ping times stayed around 100ms, and my upload speed averaged about 350kbps, my download speed never got higher than 10kbps, and I had 2 tests where it gave me 1kbps. :)

I forgot to bring up OpenSignal and look at what showed up there.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw it. Near as I can tell: It's all smoke & mirrors. I wonder if the consumer base is as clueless as Sprint seems to think it is?

T-Mob's gaining, eh? Interesting.

Coincidentally: We almost went T-Mob last year about this time. Only reason we didn't is we decided comprehensive voice coverage outside major metro areas was more important than data on our handsets.

Now that Sprint's voice coverage is getting worse for me, I'm thinkin' we may have to ultimately give VZW a go. We'll see.

What a shame :(. I recall when I first signed up with Sprint, right after they went live in the Metro-Detroit area. They were way cool, back then. Had coverage about on-par with VZW's, and often better. Definitely better than everybody else. It all seemed to start heading down-hill with the Nextel acquisition, and they just can't seem to get the formula right, again.

Jim

a few years back..

sprint had roaming agreement with Verizon. so when you lost sprint, it would pickup with Verizon.. so sprint had great coverage!!!

now.. I don't know.. sprint just sucks!

Tmobile is doing a good job in most metro areas. and will pretty good speeds.
they suck when you are out of main areas. but I don't leave the metro areas often.

and with the new pricing.. wow. awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones