• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Engadget reviews the Droid X!

If you think a AOL owned site is spending the time and money to pay people to write reviews on devices to put apple in a positive light, wow.

I really like Android, but if you think the iPhone 4 is a pos you're delusional.

you obviously have no idea what youre talking about. i can point to many occasions this is not the first time for engadget. It certainly will not be the last. Only a fool would say otherwise.

As ar as the i4(no calls, remember?), if you really think its a 9 because of FOLDERS then you truly are a ignorant fool?

Upvote 0
7/10 what a load of crap. Not that it will change anything but I posted my feelings in the comments.

This review is so contradictory that it isn't even funny. If it had 2.2 it might be the greatest Android phone ever, but you scored it a 7/10? And the Evo gets a 9/10 with it's terrible battery life, HTC build "quality", 16-bit screen, 30FPS cap, etc? The Droid X trumps the Evo in nearly every category.

Battery life: X was tested at 9.5 hours of talk time. Blows away Evo AND the holy iPhone. X wins.

Screen: X has higher resolution than Evo AND a 24-bit panel (16m colors vs Evo's 16-bit 65k colors). iPhone wins if all you care about is pixel density. Most people would prefer the larger 4.3" screen for texting, watching videos, surfing the web - just about everything basically. Tie between iPhone and X.

Call Quality: 3 Mics, one of them is noise canceling. Every reviewer has said call quality and signal strength is stellar. I guess no one cares about antennas and signal strength anymore - oh wait, almost forgot about the iPhone fiasco. X wins by a long shot.

Photos/Videos: Engadget admits it's better than the Evo. iPhone photos are over-saturated.

Build Quality: All reviews I've seen say the build quality is excellent. Evo is "good" but considering all the plastic nowhere near excellent. Obviously iPhone takes the cake here.

Memory: Comes with 24GB and is capable of 40GB. X wins.

This is reason number 18347 not to rely on Engadget reviews. They are so biased it isn't even funny. A 7/10 score makes absolutely no sense.

Upvote 0
you obviously have no idea what youre talking about. i can point to many occasions this is not the first time for engadget. It certainly will not be the last. Only a fool would say otherwise.

As ar as the i4(no calls, remember?), if you really think its a 9 because of FOLDERS then you truly are a ignorant fool?

Grow up, you are mad because the phone you are all excited about did not get a glowing review. Now you are trying to justify your belief in it being amazing when you have never even held one by slamming others and other devices.

I cannot stand Apple, but I can actually use the iPhone 4 and see that it is a very nice phone. You are just blind fan boy hate, and sorry but that isn't the mindset Android needs. Engadget thinks it's so funny they mock people like you on their podcasts even today lol.

Upvote 0
Grow up, you are mad because the phone you are all excited about did not get a glowing review. Now you are trying to justify your belief in it being amazing when you have never even held one by slamming others and other devices.

I cannot stand Apple, but I can actually use the iPhone 4 and see that it is a very nice phone. You are just blind fan boy hate, and sorry but that isn't the mindset Android needs. Engadget thinks it's so funny they mock people like you on their podcasts even today lol.

Well you seem to be for apple as anyone can see that this is a very contradictory review i mean it clearly says if it has 2.2 it would be the best smart phone out so by not having that it is a 7/10? explain to me how that is im very curious thats all

Upvote 0

IM mad?!?!?! LOL thats great!!! a blind turd is telling me that i am mad over a device. Look at the fascinate thread you ignorant fool. I have the option of buying another, better PHONE than the i4...which also runs android.... and that is what i will do. See how that works? See how i am justifying it?

have fun with your folders, maybe your DADDY JOBS can actually give you a working phone next time.

Upvote 0
Well you seem to be for apple as anyone can see that this is a very contradictory review i mean it clearly says if it has 2.2 it would be the best smart phone out so by not having that it is a 7/10? explain to me how that is im very curious thats all

I wouldnt be surprised if he is FROM engadget. Any logical person would realize in a side by side comparison that the engadget review is garbage. Not because of the score like this imbecile is trying to imply.

the review is garbage because before the i4 came out everyone and their mom were talking and praising the antenna.

"no more dropped calls, no more low barss. apple is amazing, jobs is a god bla,blah,blah" -isheep.

now that the s#it hit the fan noone eeven acknowledges a major malfunction in A device which is supposed TO MAKE AND RECEIVE CALLS.

s#it i guess i am being biased because i actually use my phone for calls

Reactions: dylo22
Upvote 0
While I agree that a 7/10 is too low, one can certainly argue that the iPhone is a better phone. The iPhone apparently has a better screen (although smaller) and the camera and videos are better than the Droid X.

Both have noise cancellation with mic (only two mics are used for calls - not all three as at least one poster as tried to allude to).

I'm not sure which has a better battery life.

Yes the iPhone has a reception issue. It is yet to been seen if it can be fixed with a software update.

Now personally I would not get an iPhone due to the fact that you have to use iTunes and AT&T. But the phone itself is still one of the best available - if you think it is total crap then you must be an Android fanboy with your head in the sand. What's the saying, "Know your enemy" and "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

I'll definitely be getting a Android phone at some point. I'm not sure I am going to rush out and buy the X however. I might wait a couple more months and see what comes out (and to see the rooting and bootloader progress on the X).

Upvote 0
While I agree that a 7/10 is too low, one can certainly argue that the iPhone is a better phone. The iPhone apparently has a better screen (although smaller) and the camera and videos are better than the Droid X.

Both have noise cancellation with mic (only two mics are used for calls - not all three as at least one poster as tried to allude to).

I'm not sure which has a better battery life.

Yes the iPhone has a reception issue. It is yet to been seen if it can be fixed with a software update.

Now personally I would not get an iPhone due to the fact that you have to use iTunes and AT&T. But the phone itself is still one of the best available - if you think it is total crap then you must be an Android fanboy with your head in the sand. What's the saying, "Know your enemy" and "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

I'll definitely be getting a Android phone at some point. I'm not sure I am going to rush out and buy the X however. I might wait a couple more months and see what comes out (and to see the rooting and bootloader progress on the X).
the i4 is not total crap, kids can use the gyroscope for games....those tied to thousands spent on itunes will surely enjoy it. Im glad there are many choices. I wouldnt spend my money on apple. I would get the droid X today. If that doesnt please me, I always have the Fascinate as a wonderful backup. To me and to many others, both those devices trump apple's glorified mp3 player

Edit: and just to clarify your thought process, you state:

"one can certainly argue that the iPhone is a better phone. The iPhone apparently has a better screen (although smaller) and the camera and videos are better than the Droid X."

LOL

the i4 struggles to make calls when you touch the lower left (NOW how da phuck does that make you think that a software issue can fix that without increasing the signal and endangering the well being of millions of sheep all across the globe?) corner. So "A better phone" it is not.

What you state is that it is a better camera, and thats it.

*GOLFCLAP*

clap-copy_01.jpg

Upvote 0
the i4 is not total crap, kids can use the gyroscope for games....those tied to thousands spent on itunes will surely enjoy it. Im glad there are many choices. I wouldnt spend my money on apple. I would get the droid X today. If that doesnt please me, I always have the Fascinate as a wonderful backup. To me and to many others, both those devices trump apple's glorified mp3 player

The iPhone DPI is great but the screen is too small by today's standards. I guarantee if you gave an iPhone user a 4.3" screen for a week, they would never want to go back. I bet the iPhone 5 will have a 4" screen.

I agree with you guys...I think the iphone is an outstanding phone and it definitely brought smartphones to a whole new level....It is perfect for people that don't require too much out of their phones, as it does pretty much everything average user demands. For us techies, we require more out of our phones...I am sure if the iPhone was offered on verizon, many many people would get it and would be just satisfied. For people that don't know the beauty of open source, android for them is just the iphone equivalent on verizon. But...we know the secret ;)

Upvote 0
All I'm saying is......how can u review the actual phone, speaker aspects of the Inc, EVO, iPhone 4 and not do that for the X....and still give it a rating???

There is definitely some bias or someone was pissed at Motorola, something.... when the Diversity Antennas was a feature of the X and they dont mention it...but yet they mentioned the new antenna design for the iPhone.....

Fanboys need to keep it real......seriously.....

A logical, fair person wouldnt even give it a rating cuz it wasnt a complete review.....even if he woulda tested the phone aspects of it and still gave it a 7/10, it woulda been bs.... but fine....cuz even still, hands on testing with a member here, and the majority of reviews woulda said other wise...

Lets keep it real ppl, that engadget review wasnt too kosher....

Upvote 0
go look in the fascinate threads. SO I GUESS IM A XFfanboy? Samsung Fascinate - Android Forums

no offense but you sound like a dirty douche. aka a waste.

IM mad?!?!?! LOL thats great!!! a blind turd is telling me that i am mad over a device. Look at the fascinate thread you ignorant fool. I have the option of buying another, better PHONE than the i4...which also runs android.... and that is what i will do. See how that works? See how i am justifying it?

have fun with your folders, maybe your DADDY JOBS can actually give you a working phone next time.

You need to relax and handle yourself like an adult and quit with your meaningless name calling and put downs. It's aggravating to see a board with members that cannot be civil.

Anyways, while I do not agree it probably doesn't deserve a 7 (probably more like an 8 or 9), the review does mention the UI being the biggest gripe. If the UI takes away 1-2 points away, I would think it's justified because afterall that is what you deal with 99.9% of the time on the phone, the UI. If someone really dislikes the UI, it can be a deal breaker. I will definitely be trying out this phone in-store and come up with my own opinion about it, which in actuality, thats all that matters, what works for me.

Someone jokingly mentioned that the ratings meant the higher the score, the more problems it has. Joking aside, don't be too excited yet, because most, if noo all of the problems that were discovered on the IP4 and Evo were discovered after it released to thousands upon thousands of consumers. So, i'll be seeing how it goes after its release. With all that said, i'm looking forward to July 15th.

Upvote 0
I read the review, and I'll admit to being a regular reader of Engadget as well. I've always felt there was a vibe that the iPhone was "all that" but never really anything overt. Then I read this article the other night.

Droid X ad pokes fun at iPhone 4 antenna troubles -- Engadget

The snippy comment at the bottom really stood out to me, I kept coming back to it and re-reading it to see if maybe I read it wrong, or out of context, or maybe it was just written by someone who thought they were witty but just aren't. In the end, all I kept coming away with tho was the sense that someone had kicked the writers dog, or dissed his girlfriend etc..

After reading the review I can only conclude that the vibe has blossomed into something more and that this review was their way of teaching Motorola a lesson for taking a jab at the iPhone's current problems..

Upvote 0
My favorite quote:
So, let's just save you a bit of time from the outset: the Droid X is an imposing device, and it's definitely not for the small of hands. Makes no mistake, this is a big phone designed for use by big people. Well, not necessarily "big," but let's just say you're going to have a tough go of it if you're the kind of person that struggles to find a ball at the bowling alley where you can reach all the holes.
I almost shat myself after reading Engadget's review/videos & especially this quote... It was like they were told by someone to give a bad review/report...they couldn't really find much, so they just hadta go out on a limb. The way Engadget reviewed the DroidX made me never wanna visit their site again. The bowling alley comment only made their review sound elementary.
Their report was everything but professional...Let alone fair.
Thats my opinion & I'm stickin' to it.
If a bull takes a $hit right in front of you, you're definitely going to smell it.

They updated their reviews with Scores now.
X gets 7/10.
iphone4, 9/10
evo, 9/10
incredible, 8/10

Seriously Engadget, I know Mr. Jobs pays you to spice up the apple product reviews, but one thing I would like to know: Does he also pay you to cut down Apple's competitors' devices? Especially the ones announced a day before his "revolutionary" new iPhone? No need.
No matter how well Apple markets their products, and no matter how much Jobs pay Engadget, I will never buy the iPhone.
(I'm not biased towards Apple, I own 2 Macbook Pros
They're for video/audio editing)
I'm more less Anti Apple/Jobs now due to his endless attitude. Especially w/ the issues w/ iphone4.
Not to mention the UI...He strangled it to death w/ his control a long time ago.

They were pretty happy with the iPhone 4. It's got some cool tech in it, no denying that, but not really a big surprise that Engadget loved it.
Of course :p Apple gives them CHA-CHING!!!! to sauce up Apple Reviews & who knows what else for :p

Ooops they just forgot to mention "Don't hold it that way" on the iphone...and the 3 mics on X for superior call quality... iPhone=5 Droid X=9 :p
Love how they didn't mention the superior antenna system found in the Droid X. Geee...I wonder why...:thinking:;);)

Edit: and just to clarify your thought process, you state:
"one can certainly argue that the iPhone is a better phone. The iPhone apparently has a better screen (although smaller) and the camera and videos are better than the Droid X."
LOL
the i4 struggles to make calls when you touch the lower left (NOW how da phuck does that make you think that a software issue can fix that without increasing the signal and endangering the well being of millions of sheep all across the globe?) corner. So "A better phone" it is not.
What you state is that it is a better camera, and thats it.
*GOLFCLAP*
1st off, Loved the Golf Clap & photo! LoL!
I can admit it is very disturbing that any site would knock a power house Android Device...
lets just remember TWO things...

Apple is jamming $$$ into Engadget's pockets...& MORE importantly
What WE think when we hold that device in our own hands & give it a go...
To me, thats the most important thing. What do I think of the device?
Besides... @ least I know I will give the device I'm holding a fair review/run... NO Matter who makes it.
Engadget is an Apple biased Tech Blog. Their rating system is also.
Don't worry about their half a$$ review.
Honestly, I didn't expect anything else from them.
I'll be holding my Droid X without having to worry about losing reception.
iphone who?

All I'm saying is......how can u review the actual phone, speaker aspects of the Inc, EVO, iPhone 4 and not do that for the X....and still give it a rating???
There is definitely some bias or someone was pissed at Motorola, something.... when the Diversity Antennas was a feature of the X and they dont mention it...but yet they mentioned the new antenna design for the iPhone.....
A logical, fair person wouldnt even give it a rating cuz it wasnt a complete review.....even if he woulda tested the phone aspects of it and still gave it a 7/10, it woulda been bs.... but fine....cuz even still, hands on testing with a member here, and the majority of reviews woulda said other wise..Lets keep it real ppl, that engadget review wasnt too kosher....

Engadget will never be "kosher" or fair as long as they keep receiving checks from APPLE.
Engadget should have @ least updated their iphone4 review, as well as its score card. @ best, a 6. Thats really being nice for a phone with such a severe design flaw. Sad But True.
Droid X should have hit an 8 or 9. Nothing is perfect.
The absence of Froyo should not be a minus. It was NEVER promised @ launch. Not to mention, it will be here this summer. BIG DEAL.

Haters motivate me. They only make me better,stronger, & want to do BIGGER things!
& I'm sure it only drives the development of Android & the devices that carry it, thru the roof.

Lets stay positive people.
Don't let a little bad press get you worked up.
Most importantly, don't let it ruin the atmosphere here on AndroidForums!
Besides...
We've got ANDROID!!! :p

Upvote 0
I read the review, and I'll admit to being a regular reader of Engadget as well. I've always felt there was a vibe that the iPhone was "all that" but never really anything overt. Then I read this article the other night.

Droid X ad pokes fun at iPhone 4 antenna troubles -- Engadget

The snippy comment at the bottom really stood out to me, I kept coming back to it and re-reading it to see if maybe I read it wrong, or out of context, or maybe it was just written by someone who thought they were witty but just aren't. In the end, all I kept coming away with tho was the sense that someone had kicked the writers dog, or dissed his girlfriend etc..

After reading the review I can only conclude that the vibe has blossomed into something more and that this review was their way of teaching Motorola a lesson for taking a jab at the iPhone's current problems..

that is exactly what i meant about engadget loving their apple juice. JUST like i said as well. This is not the first and this certainly wont be the last time for engadget either.

Upvote 0
Seriously Engadget, I know Mr. Jobs pays you to spice up the apple product reviews, but one thing I would like to know: Does he also pay you to cut down Apple's competitors' devices? Especially the ones announced a day before his "revolutionary" new iPhone? No need.
No matter how well Apple markets their products, and no matter how much Jobs pay Engadget, I will never buy the iPhone.
(I'm not biased towards Apple, I own 2 Macbook Pros
They're for video/audio editing)
I'm more less Anti Apple/Jobs now due to his endless attitude. Especially w/ the issues w/ iphone4.
Not to mention the UI...He strangled it to death w/ his control a long time ago.

This is the thing most ppl over look, dont hate on the product, hate on the company.

Upvote 0
The engadget review was rather depressing mainly because of the video samples. I know its a phone but I carry around two compact cameras, Zune, Garmin GPS, and Flip camcorder and I was hoping to eliminate the Flip and cameras (just while geocaching). I have the phone preordered and I am still pumped about the phone since I can still use the X in place of the Zune and Garmin. Plus it makes calls :p

Upvote 0
The engadget review was rather depressing mainly because of the video samples. I know its a phone but I carry around two compact cameras, Zune, Garmin GPS, and Flip camcorder and I was hoping to eliminate the Flip and cameras (just while geocaching). I have the phone preordered and I am still pumped about the phone since I can still use the X in place of the Zune and Garmin. Plus it makes calls :p

Congratulations, im sure the device wont disappoint you as far as the features you are looking forward to.

I had a garmin, hacked it, hacked the software updates and got them for free instead of paying the 100 dollars. I prefer the navigation on android phones over anything else really.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones