• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris not getting 2.1 today

Okay so today was the first day I've powered the Eris in a while. And i think that i can honestly say... I miss android but not the phone lol but hopefully this swype keyboard will keep me on it for about a month or so till My Birthday then i will probably go to the Verizon Store with $800 in cash and buy the Incredible or Droid. Whichever is the best. Kinda want the droid for the Vanilla Rom and Keyboard but hate the fact that you cant turn off the 3G. Which i think will Drain the SH*T out of the battery but who knows maybe it will turn off by its self after a while lol

Upvote 0
Why are you so obstinate and contrarian about 2.1 when you have no experience with it? The install is very easy and the results are much better than 1.5. What purpose is it serving to keep posting in these threads? If you install it, we can help you and you can provide useful information that helps others.
he is just a troll, report his post and add him to your ignore list in your profile.

Upvote 0
he is just a troll, report his post and add him to your ignore list in your profile.

Haha, a Premium Member can not also be a troll. Well, he can but it's pretty hard to do. He just doesn't want anything "unofficial" on his phone.

I bootleg and put all sorts of things on my devices and when I tell my friends that are less into techie stuff than I and they say "I'm fine" it irritates the hell out of me too because I know upgrading something they have will be much better for their device. But you can't force them and they do have a right.

This 2.1 leak was sketchy from the beginning. Those of you that ask "how do I put 2.1 on my phone?" were clearly not around when all this went down. If you were here from the beginning (which doesn't put us in a higher class than you, just saying) you would have seen the evolution of members' feeling towards the phone, OS, and other members and been pretty cautious yourself.

Frisco's a respected member, the few we have left in this forum. I have people on my ignore list, but he isn't one of them. He's established himself as the old-fashioned guy that just wants the official thing, not some chicken scratch thrown together. I like chicken scratch. We all like chicken scratch. He doesn't.

But he isn't a troll. Just to clarify.

BTW, old-fashioned is a good thing. I love Wendy's. And we all know how good ol' freckle-bitch's spicy nuggets are. :)

Upvote 0
Haha, a Premium Member can not also be a troll.
Well, I'm not saying he is a troll but $20 will make anyone a Premium member. My only point is to get him to upgrade and contribute positively instead of just providing contrarian commentary from a very limited perspective. As far as the ease of the upgrade - it couldn't be any easier. It's like three to five steps - nothing techie.

Upvote 0

Also, just to add to what Smacky posted. Trolls don't typically get over 100 post around here and Frisco is almost to 2000.

Well, I'm not saying he is a troll but $20 will make anyone a Premium member. My only point is to get him to upgrade and contribute positively instead of just providing contrarian commentary from a very limited perspective. As far as the ease of the upgrade - it couldn't be any easier. It's like three to five steps - nothing techie.

You would have an easier time convincing some people here to start using an iPhone than you will convincing Frisco to install the leak. ;)

Upvote 0
Also, just to add to what Smacky posted. Trolls don't typically get over 100 post around here and Frisco is almost to 2000.
You would have an easier time convincing some people here to start using an iPhone than you will convincing Frisco to install the leak. ;)
evil sports contributes something positive, when? so far all I see from him is anti eris BS. so yes i will report him on every post on this board.
frisco has his opinions but atleast he contributes.

anyways regardless of $$ donated if that allows you to act like a troll with no consequences than frankly this forum will continue to suffer.
I have had this discussion with admins of other forums, whats the point of having high traffic numbers when there is no quality to that traffic. it detracts from the overall usefulness of the forum.

Upvote 0
Trollishness, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. :)

All we have to do to discourage trolls is ignore them.

477732175_229e08179a.jpg

evil sports contributes something positive, when? so far all I see from him is anti eris BS. so yes i will report him on every post on this board.
frisco has his opinions but atleast he contributes.

anyways regardless of $$ donated if that allows you to act like a troll with no consequences than frankly this forum will continue to suffer.
I have had this discussion with admins of other forums, whats the point of having high traffic numbers when there is no quality to that traffic. it detracts from the overall usefulness of the forum.

Now that picture there is quality dark humor. :giggle:

Upvote 0
Why are you so obstinate and contrarian about 2.1 when you have no experience with it? The install is very easy and the results are much better than 1.5. What purpose is it serving to keep posting in these threads? If you install it, we can help you and you can provide useful information that helps others.

Hoping you'll forgive the long post, but it appears I have to explain, again. ;)

A bit of silliness in that quoted post (and in those idiotic postings accusing me of being a "troll" just because I'm in here often reminding people about the chancy aspect of messing with your phones, and installing a leaked, unfinished update is chancy and is seen my some as messing with your phone).

AGAIN: read the bugs and fixes thread, check around in other threads and marvel at the number of users saying these same words, "I'll just have to live with (this or that bug, SERIOUS bug) until the OTA comes."

Installing that leak is about impatience, in most cases, no matter the spiel of the person doing it. Can anybody admit that at this stage of the game? Many were saying that very thing when posting about it before taking the leap.

Some harping about doing the leak are sincere and ok with it, for a while.

But they all have no choice, do they. Once you do that leak, there is no turning back; you're stuck with it (unless you rooted at 1.5 prior to and as a part of installing the leak).

But some of them seem so immature that they NEED to call a person a "troll" for getting that frequent reminder, and often that reminder comes in a post addressed to somebody who is merely contemplating doing the leak; the leaker hops in and trashes 1.5, a perfectly good OS with a few problems much, much smaller and more benign than the leaked 2.1 has been reported to have with many users.

Having said that, I'm not against a soul installing those leaks; I've provided links to the downloads, advice, when I have it, on some of the problems, and best wishes to those jumping into it. Why? Because it's a choice that reasonable people are making. In an important way, we're all in this together.

Those of you thanking OTD, Caddyman, me and others in posts and PMs for offering help on 2.1 or 1.5 are proof that the Eris community is more than just a cadre of impatient types who may not even deserve to have something as sophisticated as an Android Eris. You do my heart good; I look forward to seeing posts from that type of person in any forum.

Upvote 0
I am kind of new here and have been following this forum even before I started to post and bought my Eris. I have to say I agree with Frisco 100%. I am a Tech Savy person, my phone not even 2 months old; I don't want to throw a leak on the phone with no uninstall. I'm over 30 and have patience...waiting for an OTA is no biggie. Everyday we ALL are still discovering new things with the OS (whether it is a 1.5 or 2.1)...
Pour yourself a cup of tea and relax.

Upvote 0
Hoping you'll forgive the long post, but it appears I have to explain, again. ;)

But they all have no choice, do they. Once you do that leak, there is no turning back; you're stuck with it (unless you rooted at 1.5 prior to and as a part of installing the leak).

But some of them seem so immature that they NEED to call a person a "troll" for getting that frequent reminder, and often that reminder comes in a post addressed to somebody who is merely contemplating doing the leak; the leaker hops in and trashes 1.5, a perfectly good OS with a few problems much, much smaller and more benign than the leaked 2.1 has been reported to have with many users.

Having said that, I'm not against a soul installing those leaks; I've provided links to the downloads, advice, when I have it, on some of the problems, and best wishes to those jumping into it. Why? Because it's a choice that reasonable people are making. In an important way, we're all in this together.

Those of you thanking OTD, Caddyman, me and others in posts and PMs for offering help on 2.1 or 1.5 are proof that the Eris community is more than just a cadre of impatient types who may not even deserve to have something as sophisticated as an Android Eris. You do my heart good; I look forward to seeing posts from that type of person in any forum.

Hotel California huh? We're stuck! :) I think that if you look back in the polls of who was planning to upgrade with the leaked version vs. wait, the majority said they'd wait. I chose not to and am glad that I didn't but the fuss really is silly. If you like 1.5, then you are in your happy place and why should anyone try to screw up that balance? Just sillyness and sorry that you have to defend yourself Frisco.

Upvote 0
Just sillyness and sorry that you have to defend yourself Frisco.

+1, thanks.. but I did chose to do that, defend my words here, again. ;)

My point is the simplest of things: 1.5 is doing exactly what I purchased it to do. The only qualifier is the same one for any smart phone I've owned; maintenance, regular maintenance. That keeps it like new.

The update is not relevant to me other than addressing one, small, silly issue: that text-count thing right in the text field blocking several characters being typed in.

Other that that, it's a dream phone, as I recall my frustrations going onto the internet with my 8330 and as I think about my kid's iPhone anxieties.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones