• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Friend Stream not working

Same issue here (widget wont update and FS force closes), but I fixed it by doing the following:

-Remove Widget
-Remove Facebook Account from phone
-Reboot Phone
-Settings > Manage Applications > Clear Data & Clear Cache of FB for HTC App
-Reboot Phone
-Start FriendStream, add FB account

It's working fine for me now

Upvote 0
Problems with Friend stream today as well. Iv FaceBook, Twitter and flicker linked in and getting updates from all.

When I try posting anything via the "whats on your mind" box Twitter updates fine but Facebook pops up a "Unable to update Facebook. Please try again later" message.

If I use the Facebook app itsself tho, it posts fine tho.

Very odd :(

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem as everyone else. When I try to open Friend Stream it force closes. I don't really care about Friend Stream that much, but it kinda sucks to have an app pre-loaded on my phone that won't work. I refuse to keep removing all my FB data and re-booting. It seems like they would fix this if it is happening to so many people.

Upvote 0
Hi. Basically the friend stream app force closes because the cache has too much history. So basically it crashes. What you need to do is to just go to settings in your home screen then applications then application manager. Find both friend stream and facebook for HTC sense and clear both caches. Restart your phone immediately after and your friend stream will be working again!

Hope this helps ...

This is the only thing that worked for me. Lets see how long for.

Thanks

Upvote 0
None of the above worked for me...

Here's what did! :)

Go to setings then manage applications, then find "Facebook for HTC Sense", and clear data (and cache)

Was having the same problems. Had widget on one screen (full size) but never updated. Whenever I touched the arrow, it would launch the app and then crash.

Going into Settings>Manage Applications>Facebook for HTC Sense and clearing the DATA as well as the cache fixed it!

Had to go an re-enter my Twitter account info, but so far...so good.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
None of the above worked for me...

Here's what did! :)

Go to setings then manage applications, then find "Facebook for HTC Sense", and clear data (and cache)

Oh, thank you so much for that! I've been without Friend Stream for about a month now and trying everything I could think of to fix it including most of the fixes listed above. This worked!!

Yay! Happy girl. Happy, happy girl.

Upvote 0
That worked for me too. Something about removing facebook account, clearing cache, rebooting, re-adding account seems to work.

Same here...

Removed FB account - reebooted - not working
Cleared cache - reebooted - working

I think HTC should look at this though, because it's really not normal that you have to go through all of this.
I really hope Froyo fixes the above... one day of the weekend left so give me my frozen treat!

Upvote 0
My friend stream has apparently stopped working.. its set to be synced with my facebook but over the past few days just shows "No recent updates" even with a manual refresh.. anyone had this happen before? Tried restarting the phone and had no luck.

Go into Friend Stream > Menu > Settings > Twitter (for eg) > Account Settings > General Settings > Clear Cache

This is an alternative method to this issue. I had the same problem. I removed all accounts and re-added them and had no luck.

PS: I use an HTC Desire with Stock Eclair - The steps may vary slightly from phone to phone

Upvote 0
It's my Facebook account that causes it to force close. This has happened numerous times in the past and deleting the acc and readding it always seems to work but it's such a pain that I have to keep doing this every week and a half or so. This is a common problem on my phone. Now deleting my FB acc wouldn't be so bad but it also deletes any contact pictures and those take about an hour to completely update again. Sigh, HTC fix your program.

Upvote 0
This thread has been very helpful to me. Thanks, everyone. The only problem I have is that I can't find the friend stream widget for HTC Sense as I'm using a home replacement. I don't care as much for the FB for Android widget. Any suggestions? I'm using Go Launcher at the moment but sometimes I use Panda Home 2 or aHome. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi. Basically the friend stream app force closes because the cache has too much history. So basically it crashes. What you need to do is to just go to settings in your home screen then applications then application manager. Find both friend stream and facebook for HTC sense and clear both caches. Restart your phone immediately after and your friend stream will be working again!

Hope this helps ...
you say clear both caches...do you clear data too? those are the only options to "clear" on my thunderbolt?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones