• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting ready to ditch my Hero/Android

This was a very interesting read.

Too add my two cents, I also love my hero just the way it is. I mean the device is awesome. I don't get what all the fuss is about. One poster mentioned the ratio of those of us who know about updates and those who don't, I totally agree. I have a sister that has a hero, another sister with the Droid and a brother with the mytouch and neither one of them know what firmware they are running. The only reason my husband knows that his moment gets them is because he's married to lovely me, and even still he doesn't know what software he is running. They just love their phones. Most of the android population could care less.

Just enjoy the phone. Chasing the lastest software is like chasing the wind, you'll never catch it. Do like most of us, use it until your eligible for upgrade and when its time, buy what you feel is the next best thing. But just remember that will be old before it hits the stores.

Reactions: bucketheadmn
Upvote 0
You just got your hero didn't you? The love affair with it will fade pretty quick, especially when you realize all the fantastic apps you can't download, and you will want an upgrade as bad as the rest of us.

Seriously, do you have to be a buzzkill in EVERY post?!?

Some of us have owned our hero since october 11th (the official release date) and still LOVE it as much as the day we bought it.

Not all of us hate our phones as much as you do and not all of us have as many problems with our phones as you do.

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
Funny how some of you act like upgrading the OS is some luxury, well its NOT!! People dont buy a Windows phone to be stuck on 6.0 while 6.5 is up and running, they expect it to be upgraded. Its not like the Hero is some old phone I am expecting to be kept current. The damn thing just came out barely 6 months ago! :rolleyes:

Using that logic, so computer operating systems should be lifetime upgrades for everyone that buys an initial one? I don't know what you were promised when you bought the phone but I didn't expect my Hero to get any sort of upgrade unless it was to fix a serious flaw(s) when I bought it. I bought my Hero in October of 2009 at Best Buy and have been happy with it ever since. I do wish, however, that it came with a proximity sensor (only the Eris has it), but I'm not going to cry about it like how iPhone users did when the 3GS was released and they had to pay for an upgrade if they wanted it.

Upvote 0
So you got your phone in Jan? Doesn't that mean that you bought it when it was ALREADY out of date? boohoo. Obviously you knew what you were doing.

If you want 2.1, then root and install it. If you want to just expect a phone to have the latest and greatest, buy an iPhone and stfu. Sure apple just announced 4.0, but there hasn't been an update before that in what, a year? The Hero isn't even a year old, so it is still more up to date than any iphone until they get 4.0.

How many phones get full OS updates at all? Almost none. Google pumps out OS changes 10x faster than any other manufacturer and you cry babies act like you deserve them. Be thankful or be quiet.

This convo is getting very heated lol

Upvote 0
Seriously, do you have to be a buzzkill in EVERY post?!?

Some of us have owned our hero since october 11th (the official release date) and still LOVE it as much as the day we bought it.

Not all of us hate our phones as much as you do and not all of us have as many problems with our phones as you do.

mbell, i agree with you my phones is only three months old and i love it. The only thing wrong that i had is that the picture text was not working and that started about a week ago, and today my friends sends me a pic of a motorcicle and it works fine again. No complints about the HERO at all just waiting for the 2.1 to be release.:)

Upvote 0
This was a very interesting read.

Too add my two cents, I also love my hero just the way it is. I mean the device is awesome. I don't get what all the fuss is about. One poster mentioned the ratio of those of us who know about updates and those who don't, I totally agree. I have a sister that has a hero, another sister with the Droid and a brother with the mytouch and neither one of them know what firmware they are running. The only reason my husband knows that his moment gets them is because he's married to lovely me, and even still he doesn't know what software he is running. They just love their phones. Most of the android population could care less.

Just enjoy the phone. Chasing the lastest software is like chasing the wind, you'll never catch it. Do like most of us, use it until your eligible for upgrade and when its time, buy what you feel is the next best thing. But just remember that will be old before it hits the stores.

well said, whats up with the one eye? lol

Upvote 0
Using that logic, so computer operating systems should be lifetime upgrades for everyone that buys an initial one? I don't know what you were promised when you bought the phone but I didn't expect my Hero to get any sort of upgrade unless it was to fix a serious flaw(s) when I bought it. I bought my Hero in October of 2009 at Best Buy and have been happy with it ever since. I do wish, however, that it came with a proximity sensor (only the Eris has it), but I'm not going to cry about it like how iPhone users did when the 3GS was released and they had to pay for an upgrade if they wanted it.

Ok, so you are willing to buy a new phone at full retail price everytime Google updates Android then? :rolleyes: You must be if you are only expecting to get the current version you buy your phone with. As I said before, the whole point of buying an Android phone is to have an up to date OS and the newest apps. Our Hero's are 3 full updates behind while most others have 1.6+ and we cannot access the newest and best apps, makes this phone pretty much useless. If I just wanted a phone to make calls, text and go online with, there are hundreds I could choose...

Upvote 0
You just got your hero didn't you? The love affair with it will fade pretty quick, especially when you realize all the fantastic apps you can't download, and you will want an upgrade as bad as the rest of us.

Are you serious? You are oozing with negativity. Please stay away from the suicidal and anyone else faced with a serious decision! :p

Guess who has his update? Me! Me and the "rest of us" who rooted their phone and are running the latest leak thanks to some awesome guys on this forum and others! And guess what? It rocks! HAHAHHAHAHA!

Just go to AT&T and get an iphone already! I'll be enjoying my Hero just as I have been since I bought it on sale at Best Buy for 99.99 in December!

Upvote 0
Hey mbell When you get your iPhone and jobby jobs tells you which apps he thinks you should or shouldn't have, and you get mad because it doesn't do all the stuff you want it to and you jailbreak it and you need to hook it up to a computer to boot it every time you shut it off or it runs out of battery, which you can't change without sending it away, will you still think it's better?

Upvote 0
Hey mbell, and acp When you guys get your iPhone and jobby jobs tells you which apps he thinks you should or shouldn't have, and you get mad because it doesn't do all the stuff you want it to and you jailbreak it and you need to hook it up to a computer to boot it every time you shut it off or it runs out of battery, which you can't change without sending it away, will you still think it's better?

I can't believe you actually took the time to post this

first of all I never said anything about switching to an iphone or I should say back to an iphone because I had one prior to buying a Hero. I like both Android and Apple, some people call that being open minded, around here it's called blasphemy, that is why I laughed a dreamliner's comment because it sums up my opinion about a lot of the Hero owners here. The Hero on the inside is an awesome phone IMO and it's actually the outside that has always annoyed me.

Upvote 0
I can't believe you actually took the time to post this

first of all I never said anything about switching to an iphone or I should say back to an iphone because I had one prior to buying a Hero. I like both Android and Apple, some people call that being open minded, around here it's called blasphemy, that is why I laughed a dreamliner's comment because it sums up my opinion about a lot of the Hero owners here. The Hero on the inside is an awesome phone IMO and it's actually the outside that has always annoyed me.

Sorry, dude, I misunderstood, Will fix.

Upvote 0
May is steadily approaching. The eris is being discontinued by verizon in May. What a coincidence that the same deadline for 2.1. This 2.1 promise by sprint may or may not happen before the evo. I really think this is intentional and sprint and htc know what they are doing. They want you to upgrade, even if that cost you full price. Sprint wins that way too. This is just business of course. Don't be surprised if the hero is also discontinued very soon. The chipset on the hero and eris are holding back development. New apps are being made for 2.1 phone and higher faster chipsets. You'll always be behind but the new strategy to defragment android does not include these slower phones. You have to except the phone the way it is. Even if 2.1 drops soon and the phone get discontinued soon after. Sprint and htc will stop supporting it. Lets look at how long we haven't had youtube. Has anyone heard anything from sprint or htc regarding and update to fix this?? No!! These are signs that sprint and verizon know that these phones are going to be discontinued and replaced with the incredible and evo.

we have devlopers that have 2.1 working 100%. Do you guys really think 2.1 is still being worked on. It is done but they are not going to release it till the evo drops or shortly after. This was the same thing google did with the nexus one. The droid was left in the dark for so long because google wanted to maximize profit by making the nexus one the only phone with 2.1

check it out
Verizon BlackBerry Tour 9630 Goes End Of Life In June And HTC Droid Eris Goes End Of Life In May | BerryScoop

Upvote 0
May is steadily approaching. The eris is being discontinued by verizon in May. What a coincidence that the same deadline for 2.1. This 2.1 promise by sprint may or may not happen before the evo. I really think this is intentional and sprint and htc know what they are doing. They want you to upgrade, even if that cost you full price. Sprint wins that way too. This is just business of course. Don't be surprised if the hero is also discontinued very soon. The chipset on the hero and eris are holding back development. New apps are being made for 2.1 phone and higher faster chipsets. You'll always be behind but the new strategy to defragment android does not include these slower phones. You have to except the phone the way it is. Even if 2.1 drops soon and the phone get discontinued soon after. Sprint and htc will stop supporting it. Lets look at how long we haven't had youtube. Has anyone heard anything from sprint or htc regarding and update to fix this?? No!! These are signs that sprint and verizon know that these phones are going to be discontinued and replaced with the incredible and evo.

we have devlopers that have 2.1 working 100%. Do you guys really think 2.1 is still being worked on. It is done but they are not going to release it till the evo drops or shortly after. This was the same thing google did with the nexus one. The droid was left in the dark for so long because google wanted to maximize profit by making the nexus one the only phone with 2.1

check it out
Verizon BlackBerry Tour 9630 Goes End Of Life In June And HTC Droid Eris Goes End Of Life In May | BerryScoop

What you are suggesting is absolutely the dumbest thing Sprint could do in this situation. The last thing they need is to go into the EVO launch with an even worse CS record than they already have (although it may not be entirely deserved). Very few people will be willing to pay full price for an EVO if they already have the Hero/Moment, and so not releasing or waiting to release the update past their promise time is just going to piss people off and make them leave when their contract runs out.

Sprint has done absolutely nothing wrong here. Everyone gets their hopes up for release dates that have nothing to do with anything that Sprint has ever said, and then they get pissy with Sprint when they don't surprise us with a much earlier-than-promised release. Really the only problem with the 2.1 update is that people have unrealistic expectations. It would be different if the Droid Eris had been updated a while ago, but it hasn't--the update is obviously giving everyone some trouble.

Of course, you may be completely right about what happens AFTER the update, but there's not much anyone can do about the fact that the Hero's hardware can't handle anything after 2.1.

Upvote 0
I understand his frustration. Some of you shouldn't be so quick to insult.

The fact is, there are situations where Sprint COULD BE wrong in terms of this situation. 1. If at this current time sales reps are touting a soon to come upgrade to 2.1 just to get sales and to decieve and
2. If Sprint tells us they are actively working on it, knowing they have no intentions of upgrading it, just to be total dicks about it.

If those above are the case, than I will be thoroughly pissed off at Sprint Corp.

However, I bought this phone not knowing wtf 1.5 was, let alone 2.1, 1.6, or 2.0. I bought it because it was this best phone on the Sprint network, which had access to a ton of apps, it was a good looking device, and was touch screen.

I do think that Sprint needs to be straight with us and let us know MORE progress on the update. If they say YES- IT IS COMING, just give us more time, I will be happy. If they say NO- IT DOESN'T WORK ON THE CDMA-1.5's current processor, than I will also be happy, and eventually upgrade sometime down the line.

SETTLE DOWN PEOPLE!
They are definitely not lieing. The 2.1 thats out for rooted phones is from a leak from sprint.

Also from what I understand the moment already has 2.1 now. Looks like sense is what is slowing them down for our phone.

Upvote 0
My phone works fine on 1.5 and I was never promised an upgrade. Aren't there only 2 phones with 2.1? And one of them just got it.

Not like I care too much about when 2.1 comes, we were in fact promised an upgrade.. Sprint officially announced the moment and hero WILL receive 2.1

This is not made up, it is fact.

Again, I'm not advocating one way or another, just thought you should know

Upvote 0
Not like I care too much about when 2.1 comes, we were in fact promised an upgrade.. Sprint officially announced the moment and hero WILL receive 2.1

This is not made up, it is fact.

Again, I'm not advocating one way or another, just thought you should know

Yes they did, and they announced a timeframe. Unless I have slept through a month or two, that announced timeframe has not passed.

Upvote 0
Well this is becoming ridiculous. 2.1 has been out for 3 months now and Sprint still cant get it up and running while devs from SDX and XDA have had ROMs for weeks. By the time we ever see 2.1, it will be old news and 2.5 will already be here or well on its way. That means we will be forced to buy a new phone to get it, Sprint sure as hell wont be upgrading to it anytime soon. I just bought this Hero in Jan, its not even 3 months old.

Unless Google does something fast to streamline Android so all carriers are running current versions, more people like me will just get more fed up and leave Android. Say what you will about Apple being control freaks but at least they know how to run sh*t and 4.0 is going to offer some nice improvements. Android has the potential to be great, but its a giant mess right now and I am about done with it.

Just about every post I've ever seen from you on here has been negative. You mention that Apple is about to release 4.0, but how long did it take them to get there even WITH them controlling the whole experience? I get the feeling you're the kind of person who will complain no matter what. If Google releases an "Android 3/4/5", when Apple does release their OS 5 you will complain that Google hasn't released Android 6 (or that your phone may not be able to run Android 6.5 when it comes out). Do yourself a favor already and just get an I-phone. It's not like I care. I'm not on some anti-Apple campaign. People should be happy with what they use, and clearly you're not happy with your Hero.

Upvote 0
Thats becoming a really old argument, like 3 months too old. Alot of people (myself included) buy an Android phone to have a great up to date OS with the newest apps. 1.5 is now a full THREE updates old, so we have an old OS and no access to the newest and IMO best apps. The phone is rapidly becoming obsolete.

It's not an old argument at all. It's the ONLY argument b/c it's the only one that holds water. Your complaints are nonsensical b/c you knew you weren't guaranteed anything when you purchased the phone (or at least you should have known). Point in case, stop your whining and just be patient.. or just root your phone like the majority of people have

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones