• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How to root the Wildfire S with S-ON

Many thanks to digitalsarma for the advice - I just skipped on to unlock the bootloader and, with one hiccup, managed to unlock the bootloader successfully.

Unfortunately I have so far been unable to root the device as when I run the supertool I get the dreaded 'adb server is out of date...killing' and, though a big flashing screen comes up saying 'Rooted' there are error messages beneath it saying that the rooting process has failed.

I tried it again pressing 2 instead of 1 but nothing happened. :(

Upvote 0
Hi everyone!
So... i did everything from first page guide, but yet still i am unable to root my phone A510e
*** UNLOCKED ***
MARVEL S-ON
HBOOT- 1.09.0099
Soft: 2.26.401.3
Android: 2.3.5
Despite soft i managed to unlock bootloader using htcdev way, i'm using htcsupertool with command 1 and 3, after 3 is done it says ROOTED but i believe it's not(When pressing 2 on supertool nothing happens)
Going further with clockworkmod it looked like everything went well
but after rebooting phone i still have white hboot menu.
My question: What am i doing wrong ?

Upvote 0
Slimchance,
If supertool does not work, try this other method
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmemoriiz
The link doesn't work ):

Sorry! Try this:
[GUIDE] How to Root the Wildfire S

I'll fix the link in my post above

Roseka,
Boot your phone normally, and the Superuser app should be installed. If it is, install ROM manager from Play store and if all is well, a pop up should appear asking if root privileges should be given to ROM manager. If that comes up, you're good to go. Otherwise, try the method given above

Upvote 0
" Requirements:

• A Wildfire S with unlocked bootloader or S-OFF. If you're still on S-ON, you will need XTC-Clip to make it work. So far, noboby has cracked the S-ON on the Wildfire S via software. "
My phone is S-ON

Those requirements are from another guide and don't necessarily apply here. As Caro says, there is no need to gain s-off.

I get only
" Main version is older!
Update Fail! ":thinking:
You don't need to flash your bootloader since you already have the updated one. That's why it won't let you update (again). From your post 552 above we can see that you've also already unlocked the device. So you can move on to step 4 to root it now. If the Supertool isn't working, follow the link in the post below \/\/\/

Upvote 0
You don't need to flash your bootloader since you already have the updated one. That's why it won't let you update (again). From your post 552 above we can see that you've also already unlocked the device. So you can move on to step 4 to root it now. If the Supertool isn't working, follow the link in the post below \/\/\/
CafeKampuchia- using your guide with supertool i get this:
after 1:
qs4nti.jpg

after 3:
2i113xf.jpg

it says that device is rooted.
Boot your phone normally, and the Superuser app should be installed. If it is, install ROM manager from Play store and if all is well, a pop up should appear asking if root privileges should be given to ROM manager. If that comes up, you're good to go.
There is no superuser, and rom manager wants me to root my phone.
As i said before i am not able to install recovery. Also on installing clockworkmod
w41ua.jpg

Upvote 0
There is no superuser, and rom manager wants me to root my phone.
As i said before i am not able to install recovery.
Strange... the screenshot you posted shows it pushing superuser.apk, but you're not seeing it in your app drawer? If not, go to Google Play store and install SuperSu, then reboot the phone.

And the other screenshot shows that you've successfully flashed Recovery.

Have you tried rooting using the link in post No 560?
It looks rooted with recovery installed from the pictures.

Upvote 0
Strange... the screenshot you posted shows it pushing superuser.apk, but you're not seeing it in your app drawer? If not, go to Google Play store and install SuperSu, then reboot the phone.

And the other screenshot shows that you've successfully flashed Recovery.
Install from gplay and reboot gave nothing. Rom manager still wants me to root my phone

Upvote 0
Delighted to be able to report that I have now got a rooted Wildfire S!

Many, many thanks to CafeKampuchia and Caro332 for your advice and patience whilst I was dicking about in the dark!

Although I never got the Supertool to work as it should I did install the CWM recovery and that allowed me to install root.zip from the SD card.

Thanks again - I won't be bothering you all again for a while!

Reactions: Roseka
Upvote 0
Delighted to be able to report that I have now got a rooted Wildfire S!

Many, many thanks to CafeKampuchia and Caro332 for your advice and patience whilst I was dicking about in the dark!

Although I never got the Supertool to work as it should I did install the CWM recovery and that allowed me to install root.zip from the SD card.

Thanks again - I won't be bothering you all again for a while!
Did the same and worked! finally! CafeKampuchia, Caro332, slimchance - i owe you big one! when you will be in poland - call me, i'll buy you a beer. Thanks again

Reactions: slimchance
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones