• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help new hard Drive in a toshiba.

This is far as transfer files it go

Attachments

• 1391748278560.jpg
    1391748278560.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
My hard Drive Cash .. I brought the recovery cd if toshiba .. still can find os can anyone help me ...start to look at Linux just dont know how find out if I use 64 bit or 32

Assuming you're talking about a Windows install:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions - Microsoft Windows Help

If you're current drive is your only drive and it's bad right now, you'd probably need to go off the model/serial of your machine which it sounds like you may have done. Would like to believe Toshiba would have sent you the right disk. Can we assume the machine came preloaded with Windows and didn't come with a physical Windows disc?

Upvote 0
Threads merged :)

Well the disk said for another one .. can i put Linux on
If the hard drive is not damaged yes, but you will need a working computer to download a Linux distro and make an install disk or USB drive. You could also request another installation disk from Toshiba if your current one is not readable.

What r the Best ones .. need some pc help.

I've found some good info in HardForum in the past.

[H]ard|Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Upvote 0
It looks like the read error is from the CD, which means that Toshiba sent you ab bad CD. You'll have to do 2 things - send them the picture you posted here, showing the error, and requesting a replacement - and obtain a CD with a hard disk testing program on it, preferably something like FDISK. Oh, and a lot of time - I once had FDISK run for 16 days on a 30 GB drive before it recovered about 3/4 of the data on the drive. (In that case I copied the data before I used a hammer and a blowtorch on the drive to make sure that no one else could ever get that data,(

If your drive is defective and under warranty, Toshiba is usually pretty good agbout replacing them. They're a good company and make good drives.

If it's out of warranty, a decent 600GB drive should cost you around $100.

In either case, the largest expediture is going to be your time in installing Windows or Linux to the new drive. And I hope you have all your important data backed up somewhere. Hardware is cheap - data isn't replaceable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones