• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help picking out an android tablet.

so i currently have an ipad 3 gen. After the latest update to ios10, ive had a few people tell me that eventually my ipad will become useless and when apps upgrade, eventually i wont be sble to upgrade cause they will need the new ios. Sucks cause i got this about two years ago.

I dont really want another ipad, im wanting to change to android, but i really know nothing about tablets. I. Usedto have some kind of galaxy tablet, but it kept running hot for some reason and the people didnt want to help fix it even thugh it was under warrenty. But that one was kinda slowish.

What im here to ask, is what would be a good android tablet to get? Im looking for one for both me and my mom. My mom loves games more than anything. She has quite a few of those she goes to every day. But for me, i like games, but i love watching videos, movies, tumblr, facebook, internet browsing, those type things more. I have some games i go to, best fiends, angry bird 2, but not a whole lot. Im looking for something that will run fast and effecient, something that wont lag a lot when my mom goes to play her games.

Price wise, i know i wont be able to get anything super expensive, i will probably be going on amazon or something getting a refurbished one, ive say samsung galaxy s2 or something about $200-300, and thats ok, will have to save up, but im wondering what would be better.

Edit: forgot to ad, im looking for something that willhave support for a few years and not something i will have to buy something else soon cause it ran out of support and moms games wont work.

Welcome to Android Forums!

First of all: do NOT be tempted to pick up a $50 El Cheapo Android Tablet! Just don't. They will NEVER get updated, they have little to no manufacturer support, and many don't even come with Google Play Store. Always, always, always stick to reputable (major) brands and models. Check consumer reviews on them before you buy. A 7" tablet is worthless, since there are phones almost that big. Get something with a 10" screen and save your eyes. I hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I use a Note 10.1 (2014) for work, with the S-Pen being the reason I bought that model. I don't understand why so few tablets have active stylus support, since without it I can't say I find tablets very compelling (less portable than a phone, hugely less capable than a laptop, it's the ability to write on them that makes them worthwhile to me).

Upvote 0
On most tablets with a stylus, the stylus is just a stick that replaces your finger. But the S-pen is different, in that detaching it brings up a menu of options. You can draw, write a note, select a portion of the screen and save it, etc. It's really very, very useful! Although this article is dated, it's still very informative:

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-2014/

:)

Upvote 0
On most tablets with a stylus, the stylus is just a stick that replaces your finger. But the S-pen is different, in that detaching it brings up a menu of options. You can draw, write a note, select a portion of the screen and save it, etc. It's really very, very useful! Although this article is dated, it's still very informative:

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-2014/

:)

The best thing about the S Pen for me is the accuracy compared to normal styli, plus the fact that it's actually as thin as a pencil (the point), compared to the crayon sized nibs of the usual stylus.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I have gotten the Note 10.1 2012 when it got released. Was the best device in my opinion at the time. Samsung has been very slow with the updates if we got any at all. I have been so disappointed with Android just with the Tablets. Not with the Note 4 and 7. I would not recommend a tablet from Android to anyone. I would go with Surface Pro 4 has a great pen, which I use in my office this is best Tablet that is closest to a laptop. Or dare I say iPad Pro. Yuck got sick saying the 2nd one but it works well, I must say.

Upvote 0
I have gotten the Note 10.1 2012 when it got released. Was the best device in my opinion at the time. Samsung has been very slow with the updates if we got any at all. I have been so disappointed with Android just with the Tablets. Not with the Note 4 and 7. I would not recommend a tablet from Android to anyone. I would go with Surface Pro 4 has a great pen, which I use in my office this is best Tablet that is closest to a laptop. Or dare I say iPad Pro. Yuck got sick saying the 2nd one but it works well, I must say.
Samsung TabProS runs Windows and has a pen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones