• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Built in Task Manager!

If we are running the same hardware, the same OS software, the same app versions - I fail to see how a YMMV tag can apply here. I think battery life is a voodoo science and people target the wrong things as culprits when troubleshooting.

Or, alternately, battery life is not voodoo science, and at least one of us (me) with experience writing SMP operating systems on bare metal in assembly and a LOT of experience as a kernel dev has monitored the system while running, and has used a tool called a network sniffer to see what traffic is actually going out on a network, and has traced it back a truly nefarious app whose dev ought be hanged by his heels.

Anyway, no need to believe me, I'm just some guy on the internet, and I'm not going to discuss this one further. I doubt it's important enough - or even interesting enough - to debate. ;)

Bottom line, I'll bet we agree that if your system is misbehaving, root it, and remove what you think are problems.

That's something that mostly anyone can understand and get behind.

A working phone is all that matters in the end. :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Ok, just for the sake of being funny. I did what you said. Sprint app now starts every time I reboot my phone, even though I have it set for once a month. Blockbuster, with the setting you have outlined, still calls back to the main server once a day.

Amazon was never signed in, so can not be signed out. All the option, which is one, are unchecked and it still starts up by itself.

I have already tried everything that has been posted a hundreds times. They still are malfunctioning and killing my battery life.

Upvote 0
If all Amazon MP3 did was to respond to its intent (by whatever set it) as it does for most people, it would simply start, look around, see nothing to do, go to sleep forever and get shuffled out of memory when memory was scarce, and then restarted by intent, doing nothing nothing, going to sleep - and using basically no battery whatsoever.

That's what it should do, and for the majority that's what it does do.

It also has some other set of operations, seen by quite a few of us, where instead of following those rules, it hits the loop to pulse the Amazon server for an exchange that ought never happen. It does not sleep, it does not stay off the network, it is never satisfied, and it is never swapped out - and it is as steady and periodic as a heart beating. (If you're familiar with code, then if it's not evil, it's probably got the world's stupidest race condition ever causing this. The dev is completely to blame.)

Until I saw proof from a working system, I thought the Amazon MP3 store must work for others as it is for you (and used to for me, River) - but this freaking thing is schizo to the max.

Don't concern yourself is my best advice - you're in the small population (sizable, but small) like I was. Trust me - almost no one's going to listen. ;)

Upvote 0
Ok, just for the sake of being funny. I did what you said. Sprint app now starts every time I reboot my phone, even though I have it set for once a month. Blockbuster, with the setting you have outlined, still calls back to the main server once a day.

Amazon was never signed in, so can not be signed out. All the option, which is one, are unchecked and it still starts up by itself.

I have already tried everything that has been posted a hundreds times. They still are malfunctioning and killing my battery life.

Dude, you are killing me. Can someone please explain to him how Android works. Just because you reboot your phone and the Sprint App shows up in services doesn't mean the app is using any battery. Those apps appear because Android wants to give you quick access/loading to apps. They aren't doing anything to your battery.

Who cares if the Blockbuster app calls up a server each day? Doesn't require any battery. If the app was downloading data everyday then the app is using up your battery.

Upvote 0
I had to get my 3d replaced a few days ago mainly my phone wouldn't connect to sprints 3g network only 1xrtt. The tech was saying that "Advanced Task Killer" messes with the phones data connection on newer android devices. This is the first time I've heard of that. Chances of atk actually doing that? I wouldn't believe so.

Reactions: The Nooner
Upvote 0
I had to get my 3d replaced a few days ago mainly my phone wouldn't connect to sprints 3g network only 1xrtt. The tech was saying that "Advanced Task Killer" messes with the phones data connection on newer android devices. This is the first time I've heard of that. Chances of atk actually doing that? I wouldn't believe so.

Task killers are bad for android, here's why:
http://androidforums.com/android-ap...uto-kill-app-when-screen-off.html#post3599776

Your best bet is to avoid using a task killer.

Reactions: DragonSlayer95
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones