• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories htc oem car charger

is anyone else that ordered from monoprice having issues with the wall chargers? i can't use the touchscreen while charging mine through it...

edit: nevermind, i just re-read the thread and saw everyone else's issues. monoprice offered to refund me, but i'd have to pay to ship them back...at $2.00 each, it'll end up being a wash sending them back, so i'll just keep them and use them for something else i guess...

Upvote 0
Today I tested out my Rocketfish lighter socket to USB adapter thingy with a micro usb cable to my Inc while running Nav, Pandora and Phone calls in different situations. Seems like the car charging doesn't actually have enough power to charge the phone. I started at 94% and when I got to my destination about 45 minutes away, the phone was at 86%. Obviously this is much better than not using a charger, but not convenient if you plan on using GPS a lot as I do. Going to look for an OEM charger to see if that makes an difference.

Upvote 0
I purchased 2 wall chargers off eBay; which were/are advertised to work with the htc incredible. When the phone is plugged in , it becomes completely unresponsive, or will respond like a minute later when I look away.

I have 2 htc incredibles between the wife and I. BOTH exhibited this behavior on BOTH chargers. Very disappointing as I like to have a few wall chargers around the house.

I am going to log a complaint with the seller via email for now, but all should be wary of purchasing aftermarket chargers for the time being.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm expecting two DIs so I went to monoprice.com and ordered:
2x Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter
2x 6ft microUSB
2x 3ft microUSB

It cost less than $10 shipped and my wife and i will be able to plug in anywhere we need it.

Can you let me know if you get the 28/28awg or 28/24awg microUSB, and how do they work for you so far? thanks

Upvote 0
In the interest of having an AC outlet for my older (1990) car, I bought an AC inverter from Radio Shack (maybe my first mistake), which I then plugged the wall adapter for my Incredible into. It seemed to work for a bit, but then the phone displayed warning messages to the effect that I needed to disconnect the charger to avoid damaging the phone. Clearly something was wrong, whether it be voltage/amperage (or maybe waveform) from the inverter. Does anyone have ideas about inverters that DO work -- or is this hopeless and I should just get a USB adapter to use in the car?
Interestingly the AC outlet from the built-in inverter of our Toyota Matrix works just fine with the wall adapter...

Upvote 0
all these issues w/ aftermarket "inexpensive" chargers are the reasons why i'm looking for an oem htc micro charger. why aren't any available?
If you are dead set on OEM and don't mind paying the premium price, there are these: HTC micro-USB Car Charger & Cable - CC C200
I have one and it works great. Actually charges the battery while using navigation.

Upvote 0
After reading through this thread and seeing all the confusion, I thought it would be helpful to add my 2 cents.

If you download OSMonitor from the market, and click on the "Misc" tab it will show you if you are charging in "AC" mode or "USB" mode. This will quickly tell you if you are quick charging or trickle charging.

That being said, I have been getting very frustrated with chargers that are rated to 1A and still only showing as USB charging. I have an HTC Evo and am having the same problems - taking forever to charge in my car.

<EDIT> There is also an HTC Battery widget that you can download from the market that will also tell you whether the charge is usb or AC.

Upvote 0
I can't understand what it is that makes the difference. I have a Scosche 12v to USB adapter that's rated at 1A and it still shows a USB connection, causing the phone to trickle charge. If I hook it up to the USB output on my power inverter, it shows an AC connection.

I'd just like to be able to charge it in the car and get a reasonable charge in a reasonable time without having to haul a power inverter around with me.

Upvote 0

I bought this charger last week and found out on its first use that the output of this generic car charger is NOT 1000mA (probably 500mA, which is the same output you would get if you were to plug the usb cable into your computer.) When I did a little investigating, I read the requirements right off of the A/C adapter that came with the Incredible and those specs call for an output of 1000mA. The Incredible even sent me a warning stating that it is not getting enough power and to plug it into the A/C adapter!!! I contacted the seller (AccessoryOne - NOT Amazon) to complain that it cannot keep up with the Incredible while it is in use so it is not as described, so AccessoryOne responded by telling me to return the item, but after thinking about it I'm going to contact them again and complain that the cost to return the $4 item will probably be $4, and it becomes a case of throwing good money after bad.

Upvote 0
I've actually spent lots of time (maybe too much) trying to find a car charger.

From what I've been able to gather, its not quite as simple a decision as you might think. The question is the charging current. The higher the current the faster the phone can charge. But you shouldn't exceed what the manufacturer recommends... which of course isn't documented.

The USB standard says that USB ports on a computer MUST be able to provide 500ma of power (1/2 AMP) @ 5V. But this isn't much. Many manufacturers, possibly starting with Apple, upped the amperage with their chargers to 1A (1000ma).

Recently Apples iPad needs more current to charge it. It needs 2.1A (2100ma) to charge. New car chargers are just coming on the market that support it.

So the question is how much current can the Incredible handle to charge it up in a car? The supplied AC power adapter outputs 1A so it can handle at least that. I've found references online to an HTC OEM car charger which outputs 2A. So it seems that it should be able to handle 2A. This charger should be able to charge it up to 4x faster than a regular 500ma car charger. But this HTC charger seems hard to find.

I was actually planning on going to the Apple store and picking up an aftermarket Griffin or Incase iPad car charger. Is has a USB port which lets you plug in the cable from the Incredible to charge it. Its relatively expensive, $25, but if I'm charging in the car, I going somewhere and often need it charged up as fast as I can. This charger should work for iPod, iPhone, iPad, my G1 and Incredible.

Edit: I should mention that I am not confident that its ok to use a 2A charger with the Incredible since I can't find documentation anywhere from HTC. I do plan to try it after I get my phone on Thursday.

having too much current won't damage the phone. the phone will only draw what it needs (which is 1A).

Upvote 0
I own an HTC Evo, but the following observations I've made will apply to other HTC phones.

1) so far, none of the car chargers I have tried has triggered my phone to use "AC charge mode" which is the quick charge method. The phone always trickle charges in "USB charge mode."

2) the fact that the phone has 2 different methods of charging seems to indicate that the phone can detect something about the female USB-A port you plug it into and choose the appropriate charge method. What it's looking for is the big question.

3) A USB-A port has 4 pins: 1 and 4 are for power; 2 and 3 are for data. In a dedicated charger, the 2nd and 3rd pin theoretically do nothing. HOWEVER, it appears that the manufacturer can give these pins an electronic signature by creating a certain charge/current/resistance. I don't know what. The phone looks for this signature in the charger, and if it's present, it will switch to quick charge. If the signature is not present, it will default to USB spec of 500mA trickle charge.

4) Regarding the signature in #3 above, it could be as simple as grounding the data pins or shorting them out. Some generic chargers do this, which means you might actually get lucky and find a charger that will trigger the quick charge. But just because it quick charges for your phone doesn't mean that it will quick-charge the iphone or vice versa. This is likely why there's so many mixed results with the monoprice chargers.

5) Chargers, especially those that quick charge, are likely deviating from the USB specification, and this is probably the biggest reason why there's all sorts of compatibility problems. If you want a guaranteed fast charge, you either have to buy a ton of chargers and hope you find one that your phone likes (easier to buy from brick and mortar stores for easy return), or stick with a product that was designed specifically for your phone.

6) I just recently bought the belkin micro car charger (F8Z445) and tried it on my Evo. No quick charge, despite the 1A rating. However it DOES quick charge my wife's iphone 3G. Indeed, the product does say that it is compatible with all the iphones. After realizing I couldn't get the quick charge, I cracked the charger open and pulled out pins 2 and 3 from the female USB-A port. The phone still only charged in "USB" mode. Since the charger did deliver 1A to the iphone, I can only conclude that there's something special that needs to happen with pins 2 and 3 in order for my phone to quick charge. Grounding them or shorting them out doesn't seem to be the answer for my phone. It might work for a different phone.

So the research continues.....

Upvote 0
I ended up picking up this charger from Radio Shack:

PointMobl Micro USB Vehicle Power Adapter : Cell Phone Car Chargers | RadioShack.com

It has a dedicated micro-usb cable (not as desirable) for my phone but also comes with a USB-A female port on the base so I still have the freedom to charge my other non-microB usb devices.

The charger outputs a total of 1.2A and correctly triggers my phone to go into fast-charge mode (A/C). With my GPS running, I see my battery charge increasing. great success! However, when my wife plugs in her iphone, the current is shared, so we each get 600mA. I haven't checked if 600mA is enough to break even with the GPS running. Nor have I checked if she gets the full 1.2A from the USB-A port when it's only the iphone being charged.

Since my last post, I've rooted my phone (see my sig), and I have been throttling my CPU with great success. I'm using SetCPU for my throttling needs. I'd like to try throttling down the CPU while the GPS is running and see how low I can go. It may be possible that you can maintain charge with trickle-charging, but I suspect your GPS radio will suffer, and you might lose connection with the satellites more often...

Upvote 0
I've actually spent lots of time (maybe too much) trying to find a car charger.

From what I've been able to gather, its not quite as simple a decision as you might think. The question is the charging current. The higher the current the faster the phone can charge. But you shouldn't exceed what the manufacturer recommends... which of course isn't documented.

The USB standard says that USB ports on a computer MUST be able to provide 500ma of power (1/2 AMP) @ 5V. But this isn't much. Many manufacturers, possibly starting with Apple, upped the amperage with their chargers to 1A (1000ma).

Recently Apples iPad needs more current to charge it. It needs 2.1A (2100ma) to charge. New car chargers are just coming on the market that support it.

So the question is how much current can the Incredible handle to charge it up in a car? The supplied AC power adapter outputs 1A so it can handle at least that. I've found references online to an HTC OEM car charger which outputs 2A. So it seems that it should be able to handle 2A. This charger should be able to charge it up to 4x faster than a regular 500ma car charger. But this HTC charger seems hard to find.

I was actually planning on going to the Apple store and picking up an aftermarket Griffin or Incase iPad car charger. Is has a USB port which lets you plug in the cable from the Incredible to charge it. Its relatively expensive, $25, but if I'm charging in the car, I going somewhere and often need it charged up as fast as I can. This charger should work for iPod, iPhone, iPad, my G1 and Incredible.

Edit: I should mention that I am not confident that its ok to use a 2A charger with the Incredible since I can't find documentation anywhere from HTC. I do plan to try it after I get my phone on Thursday.

It's fine to use something that can give more current than you require. The phone will only pull as much as it is designed to. Since they're all 5V chargers, Ohms law dictates this. The phone's (battery's) resistance doesn't change because you're using a higher amperage charger. The rating is simply how much it can provide (a max amount).

Upvote 0
I own an HTC Evo, but the following observations I've made will apply to other HTC phones.

1) so far, none of the car chargers I have tried has triggered my phone to use "AC charge mode" which is the quick charge method. The phone always trickle charges in "USB charge mode."

2) the fact that the phone has 2 different methods of charging seems to indicate that the phone can detect something about the female USB-A port you plug it into and choose the appropriate charge method. What it's looking for is the big question.

3) A USB-A port has 4 pins: 1 and 4 are for power; 2 and 3 are for data. In a dedicated charger, the 2nd and 3rd pin theoretically do nothing. HOWEVER, it appears that the manufacturer can give these pins an electronic signature by creating a certain charge/current/resistance. I don't know what. The phone looks for this signature in the charger, and if it's present, it will switch to quick charge. If the signature is not present, it will default to USB spec of 500mA trickle charge.

4) Regarding the signature in #3 above, it could be as simple as grounding the data pins or shorting them out. Some generic chargers do this, which means you might actually get lucky and find a charger that will trigger the quick charge. But just because it quick charges for your phone doesn't mean that it will quick-charge the iphone or vice versa. This is likely why there's so many mixed results with the monoprice chargers.

5) Chargers, especially those that quick charge, are likely deviating from the USB specification, and this is probably the biggest reason why there's all sorts of compatibility problems. If you want a guaranteed fast charge, you either have to buy a ton of chargers and hope you find one that your phone likes (easier to buy from brick and mortar stores for easy return), or stick with a product that was designed specifically for your phone.

6) I just recently bought the belkin micro car charger (F8Z445) and tried it on my Evo. No quick charge, despite the 1A rating. However it DOES quick charge my wife's iphone 3G. Indeed, the product does say that it is compatible with all the iphones. After realizing I couldn't get the quick charge, I cracked the charger open and pulled out pins 2 and 3 from the female USB-A port. The phone still only charged in "USB" mode. Since the charger did deliver 1A to the iphone, I can only conclude that there's something special that needs to happen with pins 2 and 3 in order for my phone to quick charge. Grounding them or shorting them out doesn't seem to be the answer for my phone. It might work for a different phone.

So the research continues.....

Pins 2 and 3 need to be shorted with a 200Ohm resistance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones