• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One specifications and discussion (Keep thread on topic)

Atts bloatware is all over this diamond. Disgusting.

It would take a considerable amount of effort to get HTC to be able to tell AT&T to pound sand like Apple can.

When space was a premium it may have been important.. but these days with the ability to freeze the apps and the capacity it's far less of an issue.

Personally I don't care about carrier apps anymore since they can be hidden.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
It would take a considerable amount of effort to get HTC to be able to tell AT&T to pound sand like Apple can.

When space was a premium it may have been important.. but these days with the ability to freeze the apps and the capacity it's far less of an issue.

Personally I don't care about carrier apps anymore since they can be hidden.

It's annoying. I have two of the same app because of this.

Upvote 0
Says I have 19.6 GB Free of 25.4 GB, That's 6.6 GB used by the OS. That's including all the AT&T Bloat that will be removed soon.
The total storage is 29.8 GB before you start loading the OS (32 decimal Gigs = 29.8 binary), so the OS is actually using 4.4 GB.

It's common to all storage devices - manufacturers quote the capacity in decimal because it sounds bigger, but file sizes are binary, so you always get less storage than it appears.

I realise this doesn't make any difference to your storage, I'm just a pedant!

Reactions: Wolfedude88
Upvote 0
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What a fiasco this HTC/ST/Nokia business is. It's just a mess! If things couldn't get any worse for the HTC One with their delays with the One this is just going to add to their many, many woes.

It's just frankly not good news and they can't seem to catch a break. HTC appear to be blameless on this one but it looks like it will still end up costing them dearly.

Further developments on this situation:

Nokia's co-developed high-amplitude mics retain 10-month exclusivity, HTC has to look elsewhere (updated)

Nokia's injunction yesterday has now been made a little more concrete. The Amsterdam district court has handed down a 10-month ban on STMicroelectronics selling its high-amplitude mics to anyone other than the Finnish phone maker. The same dual-membrane microphone is used in both the Lumia 720 and the HTC One, but Nokia (which co-developed and designed the component) had signed a 12-month exclusivity deal with the chipmaker -- a deal that STMicroelectronics apparently thought was only six months long.

In short, you'll still be able to buy HTC's flagship in the Netherlands with those dual high-amp mics in tow -- at least for now.

So is this only a Netherlands problem or does it affect the HTC One worldwide? Meaning 2-3 months from now we could get the HTC One with a different mic than what they were originally using (ST's)?

Edit: Just done some further research and this ban is global!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/22/us-nokia-htc-injunction-idUSBRE93L0Z420130422

[Nokia] said the injunction was effective until March 2014 and would prevent ST Micro from selling the components to Taiwan's HTC globally.

Meaning future Ones produced will contain a different mic altogether. Will it be as good as the original from STMicroelectronics.....who knows, BUT it is one of the major selling points of the phone - Boomsound.

Anyone wanting an original HTC One better snap one up now before they start shipping with the non-infringing but not-as-good mic component. I really do think they are going to have to halt production until the new part is supplied.

If i were HTC i would do a quick deal with Nokia and vice versa before this escalates any further.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing a ruling will allow for any stock already produced &/or sold will be unaffected by any ruling,or,of little consequence/penalty to HTC,w/most of any penalty burden falling on ST Electronics.

If this patent/technology proves to be found on any other non-NOKIA handsets w/o NOKIA's blessing & was proven that NOKIA knew of such & failed to act on it,the repercussions for both HTC & ST would most likely be minimized.This scenario is a hypothetical & a doubtful one.

If it has been licensed to others,look for HTC to enter a licensing deal,if NOKIA chooses to accept such a deal & who knows if NOKIA would be under any obligation to do so based on precedent,if it's found that this tech has been licensed to other non-NOKIA hansets.

Better yet,hopefully HTC can look back at some of their previously released phones for a suitable alternative to the status quo for future manufacturing of the ONE & avoid further aggravation of legal headaches.

Upvote 0
Boomsound is the speakers, not the microphones.

ST Micro has already announced that they will be contesting this. They didn't just think on a whim that they were free to sell this.

ST Micro has also begun to work on an equivalent replacement part that wouldn't contain Nokia IP. Not sure if I can find details on the intellectual property allocations involved (or if I'll find them first, expect leaks lol) but if/when I do, I'll post back.

HTC hasn't said what quantity they have for the part on hand.

HTC injunction - only in the land of Nokia.
ST Micro injection - worldwide shipping of the part.

TL/DR - There are 3 dimensions to microphone part supply that are fluid at this point.

Reactions: Hadron and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Boomsound is the speakers, not the microphones.

ST Micro has already announced that they will be contesting this. They didn't just think on a whim that they were free to sell this.

ST Micro has also begun to work on an equivalent replacement part that wouldn't contain Nokia IP. Not sure if I can find details on the intellectual property allocations involved (or if I'll find them first, expect leaks lol) but if/when I do, I'll post back.

HTC hasn't said what quantity they have for the part on hand.

HTC injunction - only in the land of Nokia.
ST Micro injection - worldwide shipping of the part.

TL/DR - There are 3 dimensions to microphone part supply that are fluid at this point.

Some updated legal info/news on the HTC/NOKIA/ST MICRO situation:

HTC found blameless over Nokia microphone technology used in the One

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I was thinking of getting the HTC One on Sprint. I have heard conflicting reports as if this is a world phone or not. I think it supports GSM 800 and 1900 bands. I want to know if I can just pop in a SIM card from another country and use it as a unlock phone (I know I have to ask Sprint to unlock it). I am going to France this summer and wants to use the phone there. Any help would be much appreciated. If it is not a world phone, I guess I have to pass up the One for now! :(

Upvote 0
While I can not confirm with absolute certainty these facts, from what I've seen is that it isn't sim unlocked, but it does support the following GSM frequencies:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
UMTS/HSPA: 1900/2100

Thank you for your reply, but I was under the impression that that was the general GSM model and not the Sprint model. Can anyone with the Sprint model confirm this for me (the type of bands it has)?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, but I was under the impression that that was the general GSM model and not the Sprint model. Can anyone with the Sprint model confirm this for me (the type of bands it has)?

I think that's the Sprint version because I would imagine the general GSM model would be compatible with more HSPA frequencies. Only supporting 2 of them wouldn't cut it as an international phone. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones