• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need help with iconia a500, please

chii88

Lurker
Sep 30, 2011
hello everyone. not only am i new here but also to the tablet world. so any help will be highly appreciated. so i am on the iconia and i am still on the 3.1 version. i haven't gotten any prompts to upgrade to the 3.2 version and i don't know why. i also don't know how to upgrade manually. my other problem is as follows: i bought this tab to use on campus but my tab wont/cant connect to my schools wifi. my husband has the same tab but with the 3.2 version and he is able to get on the wifi but it kicks him off often or even says its connected but he cant browse. would an issue like that be easier to fix with a rooted device or does that have nothing to do with it?
i would really appreciate your help, thanks

You might be able to update manually by going to Settings/about tablet/ system update.

Not enough detail to say what the wifi problem might be. Does it connect OK to other wifi access points? A500's wifi can be a bit flaky with public access points like in airports.

Rooting isn't possible yet with stock 3.2 system

Upvote 0
3.2 for the Acer isn't available everywhere yet so it probably hasn't rolled out in your area yet. I am still waiting here in Canada.
As for Wifi you may have to authenticate the wifi connection through your browser in order to get on the internet. If the wifi shows as connected to the access point but you can't get to the internet, open your browser and see if it takes you to a login page for the campus.

Upvote 0
on the WiFi i might have an answer, its worth a try... Some public networks like schools, requir you to open a browser and agree to the terms of use.. Iv had for this issue at a few airports... but didnt know what the issue was, it said i was connected but unable to get the net...:D, another clue is... are you able to connect with your phone?? they may have a cell bolck on their network because of traffic... Just a couple thoughts..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones