• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If iPhone were on Sprint, would you still use EVO?

+1 on the kickstand

I thought it was going to be of very little use to me. But I use it every single chance I get and I love it.

To be honest, if I had to go back before it was launched, with the knowledge I do now of having a "hands on" with my evo... I would definitely say the kickstand would be one of the more major deciding factors for me.

I absolutely love it. Probably one of the simplest, yet best features i've ever had on a mobile device to date.

That being said, I am in love with my evo, like 50 times over, and have used "i" products before, and "iran" away from them.... i'm a tinkerer, so android suits me well. As far as the battery life, i've been getting a full day (14-17 hrs) out of it before having to charge it, and haven't done anything significant.

No task killer. No friend stream. All social network notifications update every 4 hours, weather every hour. When i'm hammering on it, I get a good 8-12 hours of close to non stop use. So i'm very happy with it.

I can't expect more out of it if the screen is on and the device is constantly connected to the net. That would be like expecting a midget to reach the top shelf at a grocery store without any help. It isn't going to happen.

Either way, EVO ALL THE WAY!

Chant with me. evo, evo, eVo, eVO, EEVOO, EEEVOOO!!, EEEEVOOOO!!! :D

Upvote 0
+1 on the kickstand

I do have to say that even my friends that had tried several different phones before the iPhone said that the kickstand is pretty cool.

I am actually much more impressed with it than I thought I'd be and like you, use it at any opportunity that there's a flat surface. Only thing that concerns me is that I have a tendency to mess with it when my phone's in my pocket and I'm not using it...LOL...I'm like one of those little kids that keeps kicking the spring loaded door stopper!...hahahahaha

Upvote 0
I would say the iPhone 4 if it was to come to Sprint. For two main reasons. 1. I have a macbook and an ipad, so syncing everything up with the iPhone would be much easier than with the Evo. and 2. Battery Life - I came over to Sprint from an iPhone 3GS and it got better battery life than my Evo so I can only assume that the new iPhone 4 will do even better with battery life. But I will say that I would not go back to AT&T for the iPhone. Sprint has been awesome and I have had much better coverage with them than I ever did with AT&T and I love the Evo, its a great phone!

Upvote 0
I thought about this for quite some time because it's a heck of a good question. It's good to see that the EVO has had major success with you, the customers. I will be getting mine on Thursday evening. If I had the option on getting the EVO or the iPhone on Sprint, I might just go with the iPhone. The reason being the network it's on. I just love the look of the new iPhone 4 and because of its size, it appeals to me. I currently own a Hero and for that very same reason is why I own one. The EVO is a beast but it's a beast that absolutely works and from what I gather here, it's probably going to change my mind about the iPhone. I hope so.

Upvote 0
Sheesh you folks show no mercy. lol

I just love the fact that some media outlets are saying that the iPhone is setting the stage with the video chat program. hello EVO had it first. Its so iphone this that its not even funny. But we all know better, too bad they don't.

As for the iphone on Sprint, if it ever happens fine, more choices to choose from and better for sprint sales wise. I for one will still be with the EVO or its dual screen sequel.

TS

Upvote 0
I for one dislike dictated technology such as iPhone and AOL. They wrap-up your experience in a neat little packages and then feed it to the masses. Don't try to stray outside the norm or else.

Rooting your phone has become almost common place in the Android community. Techs and enthusiasts will take their experience to the next level. Don't like the football, NASCAR, Footprints or other pre-packaged Sprint apps...get rid of them.

There is a great article in the wild that explains how Apple writes OS updates just to shutdown Jail Breakers(see link below). It becomes a fight for control between tech savvy people and corporate intellectual property rights. Nobody wins. You want the iPhone experience? You can keep it.

Apple battles 'jailbreakers' over iPhone control - CNN.com

Upvote 0
For battery life considerations, I'd probably swing over to the iPhone.
On a side note, everything just works on the iPhone (user-friendly and intuitive). With the Evo, yes there is mass customization but if a better OS was made, then there isn't really the need to get new apps/software. I'm not the kind of person that likes to update this or that just to make a phone better.

I'm coming from the Palm Treo. What I like best about that phone (other than the Datebk 6 application) was it's customizability. (Is that a word?) I could make the device work the way I wanted it to. I could adapt the phone to my workflow and thought processes, rather than having to adapt my life to conform to someone else's idea of what's correct.

And that's why I kept my Treo for many years after it was, by all accounts, obsolete. Nothing else on the market offered the flexibility to accomodate me, instead of forcing me to accomodate it.

The iPhone is very easy to use, as long as you don't want to do anything Steve Jobs doesn't want you to do, or do it in a different way than he thinks you should. (Swap between multiple programs without losing state? Why in the world would anyone want to do that?) Rapid access to multiple applications without having to go through the launcher repeatedly? Adding more buttons would interfere with its elegant look, which everyone knows is more important than ease of use. Choosing my own phone program? Uh, uh, Steve says no can do.

The Pre multi-tasks, but it doesn't come close to the configurability of the Treo, nor the number of programs available for any other smartphone.

For me, customizing the way my handheld works isn't about playing, or modding, it's about making the device an integral part of how I work, of minimizing the amount of work I need to do to get the information I need into and out of the device. Yes, there's some up front effort to do that, but over the long haul there's a lot of time and effort saved.

Then again, I don't use my handheld primarily as a music player, or game machine, or even web browser. It's a productivity tool, that makes my work day more efficient. And neither the iPhone nor the Pre have the same focus. Both are entertainment devices first, communications devices second, and information managers last. Android (and the Palm OS) let's me choose the order of importance to suit my needs.

Oh, on the Corvette vs. Mustang analogy? This is actually a good analogy for what I mean. The Corvette is great, until you need to add a child seat or two. Then the iPhone (er, Corvette) can no longer do the job, and can't be modded to do so. The Mustang (Android), OTOH, can hold the car seats AND be modded fairly easily to add the horsepower you want, if you care to. See, it's all about flexibility vs. limitation.

Upvote 0
the Google Navigation with the Street View integrated must be one of the coolest things I've seen on a smart phone. Just awesome!

you ain't never told a lie!!!! i've only ever used sprint nav, and have been wondering what about google nav made it such a hot item for many android enthusiasts...i had to go to a cookout over the weekend that was about 40 minutes away, so i took it as the perfect time to see what the hoopla was about with google nav....i'm hooked needless to say....i've never seen anything like the whole street view stuff...too tight for words...the way it rearranges the streets and view, and shows your vehicle moving in real time....fresh....i also love how now with the evo i have both options available, sprint nav or google nav...for FREE....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones