• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i'll help find a root method if...

yikes! did not see this coming.

makes me wonder if you flashed it correctly or not.

not sure what if any security the bootloader would have unless it verifies a hash of the boot partition with some preset value, which i haven't read of any doing so. although i do know some have other security features, but they are usually locked too, and have working fasboot.

if you plug your device to your pc, can you adb device it at all, or is it completely dead???

I ran the command...

dd if=/sdcard/valet-root-boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p16

It found it and copied it, and did not produce any errors. Told me the files size, etc...

The phone was fine at that point, but on reboot I got the "Verify Error"... It does not show up at all with the "adb devices" command.

Upvote 0
I ran the command...

dd if=/sdcard/valet-root-boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p16

It found it and copied it, and did not produce any errors. Told me the files size, etc...

The phone was fine at that point, but on reboot I got the "Verify Error"... It does not show up at all with the "adb devices" command.

yikes, again...

i'm sorry, but i'm not really sure what can be done at this point.

believe me, i am sorry if your device is bricked, but i guess that's the risk sometimes. i will say though that we've gotten closer than anyone else has for this thing.

i would say to look for a reset button somewhere on the device, but this will only wipe your data and such if it does anything. i doubt it would reload a standard boot image, but it could.

zte must have found some way to lock down the device against flashing an unverified image. but i'm not sure how. could be proprietary software like samsung use on their devices possibly.

i just can't imagine that it won't boot at all. that seems strange to me, but i don't doubt you.

call straight talk and say it just did that on it's own, ask for a supervisor, complain a little bit, and they'll send for the old one and send you a new one free of charge.

Moderator edit re. the above: modifying your device (i.e., these rooting efforts) and any subsequent negative outcomes as a result of those efforts is clearly above and beyond what the carrier and/or manufacturer intended as normal or expected use that would or should be covered by a warranty return or exchange. The cost, burden, and responsibility of a replacement device should fall on the end user and NOT on the carrier and/or manufacturer for the rooting efforts and risks that you knowingly undertook.

i wonder if we would have modded the default.prop the other way if it would have succeeded. i really wish i knew what it was trying to verify and how it was trying to do so... makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0
yikes, again...

i'm sorry, but i'm not really sure what can be done at this point.

believe me, i am sorry if your device is bricked, but i guess that's the risk sometimes. i will say though that we've gotten closer than anyone else has for this thing.

i would say to look for a reset button somewhere on the device, but this will only wipe your data and such if it does anything. i doubt it would reload a standard boot image, but it could.

zte must have found some way to lock down the device against flashing an unverified image. but i'm not sure how. could be proprietary software like samsung use on their devices possibly.

i just can't imagine that it won't boot at all. that seems strange to me, but i don't doubt you.

call straight talk and say it just did that on it's own, ask for a supervisor, complain a little bit, and they'll send for the old one and send you a new one free of charge.

Moderator edit re. the above: modifying your device (i.e., these rooting efforts) and any subsequent negative outcomes as a result of those efforts is clearly above and beyond what the carrier and/or manufacturer intended as normal or expected use that would or should be covered by a warranty return or exchange. The cost, burden, and responsibility of a replacement device should fall on the end user and NOT on the carrier and/or manufacturer for the rooting efforts and risks that you knowingly undertook.

i wonder if we would have modded the default.prop the other way if it would have succeeded. i really wish i knew what it was trying to verify and how it was trying to do so... makes no sense to me.

In process... When I get my replacement I may just lay low a bit LOL

Upvote 0
In process... When I get my replacement I may just lay low a bit LOL

when you get a replacement, just try to install one of the earlier zips and let it fail then get temp root status and pull the recovery log. the one you posted didnt have the logs from any attempted installs. this help identify the recovery root method.

which i have a new update with otacert in it like it should have for some newer devices with an updated update-binary i didnt have before that im interested in trying.

i may have one of my own in a day or so anyway.

again i am sorry bout your phone. it was for a good cause i assure you. when root is gained people will have you to thank

Upvote 0
when you get a replacement, just try to install one of the earlier zips and let it fail then get temp root status and pull the recovery log. the one you posted didnt have the logs from any attempted installs. this help identify the recovery root method.

which i have a new update with otacert in it like it should have for some newer devices with an updated update-binary i didnt have before that im interested in trying.

i may have one of my own in a day or so anyway.

again i am sorry bout your phone. it was for a good cause i assure you. when root is gained people will have you to thank

LOL, I can pull the recovery log. That is harmless.

EDIT: If you get one of these, let me know your progress as you go so I will know. Otherwise, when I get my replacement we will dig into it a bit more. In the mean time, I have switched my service over to a spare "dumb phone" I had kicking around... LOL

Upvote 0
CRAP, I think it is bricked. When I when I rebooted the phone it said "Verify Error"... Now it is completely dark, and nothing happens when I push the power button.

I tried pulling the battery and trying it again, but it does not even react to the power button at all...

Suggestions?!

This is most likely caused by the secure boot function in the bootloader. Try unlocking it via fastboot.

If you can see the phone in adb try adb reboot bootloader than quickly issue the following command:

fastboot oem unlock

If you are having an issue getting fastboot to wait try issuing:
fastboot getvar product

and than
fastboot oem unlock

Note: If you can't get adb to connect still try to issue fastboot commands as fastboot usually still works until the phone is completely bricked. (Usually a hard-brick)
WARNING: THIS WILL RESET ALL YOUR DATA. THERE IS NO WAY TO UNDO THIS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS WITH THESE COMMANDS.

Upvote 0
This is most likely caused by the secure boot function in the bootloader. Try unlocking it via fastboot.

If you can see the phone in adb try adb reboot bootloader than quickly issue the following command:

fastboot oem unlock

If you are having an issue getting fastboot to wait try issuing:
fastboot getvar product

and than
fastboot oem unlock

Note: If you can't get adb to connect still try to issue fastboot commands as fastboot usually still works until the phone is completely bricked. (Usually a hard-brick)
WARNING: THIS WILL RESET ALL YOUR DATA. THERE IS NO WAY TO UNDO THIS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS WITH THESE COMMANDS.

Okay, so the phone does not show up... ADB command fail, as do fastboot commands, which all was < waiting for device >

adb devices returns >
List of devices attached
with no devices listed

fastboot devices returns >
nothing at all

fastboot getvar product returns >
< waiting for device >

fastboot oem unlock returns >
< waiting for device >

When the phone is plugged into USB it does not show up as an ADB USB Device, however it does pick up as...

"Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM 3)"

I assume this is a mode reserved for the manufacturer to be able to flash the device... But I do not have the right software, or a working firmware to flash to it if I did...

Upvote 0
That's a shame. Sorry to here about the brick. In other news I may have found a new method: (ALL CREDIT GOES TO SAURIK FOR HIS GREAT WORK. CANT POST LINK BECAUSE I AM NEW TO FORUMS):

In his article about the master key exploits he tells about another way to root using impactor that just might work for this device.

Procedure:

* Start telnet as system via cydia impactor by following that guide at a post a few posts back
*Download su and put it in your working directory
* connect to device issue the following command:
echo ro.kernel.qemu=1 >/data/local.prop
* reboot device, you should now be in emulator mode and adb will now be running as root(dont panic)
* connect to phone via adb and issue the following:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb push su /system/xbin
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
adb shell rm /data/local.prop
adb reboot
*su binary should be pushed and phone should now be rooted, install superuser or SuperSU

NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING HAPPENING WITH THIS INFORMATION

Upvote 0
LOL, I can pull the recovery log. That is harmless.

EDIT: If you get one of these, let me know your progress as you go so I will know. Otherwise, when I get my replacement we will dig into it a bit more. In the mean time, I have switched my service over to a spare "dumb phone" I had kicking around... LOL

oh im not going anywhere. this device has potential i think. for my needs anyway. my plans are to get in before the weekend.

i think i may know what happened. i might have used the wrong block size in the dd command and maybe that is why its unverified. thats a longshot i think but a possibility.

Upvote 0
That's a shame. Sorry to here about the brick. In other news I may have found a new method: (ALL CREDIT GOES TO SAURIK FOR HIS GREAT WORK. CANT POST LINK BECAUSE I AM NEW TO FORUMS):

In his article about the master key exploits he tells about another way to root using impactor that just might work for this device.

Procedure:

* Start telnet as system via cydia impactor by following that guide at a post a few posts back
*Download su and put it in your working directory
* connect to device issue the following command:
echo ro.kernel.qemu=1 >/data/local.prop
* reboot device, you should now be in emulator mode and adb will now be running as root(dont panic)
* connect to phone via adb and issue the following:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
adb push su /system/xbin
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
adb shell rm /data/local.prop
adb reboot
*su binary should be pushed and phone should now be rooted, install superuser or SuperSU

NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING HAPPENING WITH THIS INFORMATION

echo ro.kernel.qemu vulnerabilities have been patched in everything since gingerbread

pretty sure

the update method will work as long as ota variables are met.

if someone will pull me a recovery.img ill build cwm for the device through the jelly bean sdk that will surely install from 3e no problem. it wont be permanent but a fake flash.zip that the sdk makes

thats my plan for when i get one. will be downloading the repo in the next couple of days

Upvote 0
I've been reading and checking out what I can from various places about getting root on different zte phones. Back on black friday I picked up a zte whirl z660g (tracfone version) the phone was only $27 so I figured what the heck.

So far all I've been able to come up with is getting temp root using famaroot. The only thing is to get temp root the phone has to be below 25% battery charge and you have to quickly push the power button on top and get the red indicator light to blink. I have the best luck blinking the light 3 times then powering on the device. After that the device boots and I can install framaroot and it pretty much works as any other temp rooted phone. I think doing the whole recovery root thing is the way to go to get a perm root. No matter what I do to /system/xbin it resores back to stock on reboot and like most temp root devices some apps thrash the temp root. I'll see what I can get and check around, gotta help with kiddo right now.

Upvote 0
I just thought I'd link to the thread where Error420 is posting updates on rooting the Whirl (which apparently is identical to the Valet except for its cellular technology):

http://androidforums.com/zte/809294-zte-whirl-z660g-only-temp-root-so-far.html

Thanks... Still have not gotten my replacement phone :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know they appear the same, except of course that the ZTE Whirl has the Qualcomm MSM7225A processor, while the Valet has the Qualcomm MSM7625A. These are the GSM and CDMA equivalents of the same processor... so that is not a big deal to me...

Some of ZTE's listed specs make me wonder what other physical differences there may be...

Weight
Valet - 4.57 oz
Whirl - 4.2 oz

Dimemsions
Valet - 4.65" x 2.46"
Whirl - 4.57

Upvote 0
i've finally gotten the jelly bean repo downloaded

but haven't built it yet.

should have a recovery fake flash available by the weekend, if all goes well, that someone can try to install and then install a root update.zip to gain permanent root.

This is something I have never used or done before. How does it work?

I thought fake flash was installed using an update.zip also... So far we have not been able to get any update.zip to install on the valet... All have aborted... How is this different...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones