• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[JELLYBEAN] Likes / Dislikes?

I went for it in the end, after watching a few forums for any problems. SIM-free, so can't comment specifically on T-Mobile.

First impression was a noticeable "smoothness" feel. I use Nova Launcher Prime, and it seemed a little more silky smooth straight off. Almost as if the animations had slowed, but the frames-per-second had increased. This is also true when using the phone at a "never will I really use it this fast" pace - the smoothness keeps up. Huge improvement on panning around webpages too, especially when they're still loading. No more lag! Noticeably faster unlock transition from lock screen to homescreen too.

Second on the list was Google Now for me, set that up and have had a good play with Google Voice. It's pretty decent. Not quite got the integration I'd hoped for yet, but perhaps that'll improve (he says, hopefully). An example is sending a text. You can say "text Rob, I will be there in ten". All it does is find Rob's details and offers me a link to open Messaging where I type a message. Bit disappointing. Same with alarms - doesn't understand tomorrow or dates. It does, however, work with facts and other bits of functionality too so it's not all bad. "Wake me up at 9" does in-fact wake you up at 9.

I had no problems other than the usual fight with Kies...pff.

Edit: Oh, and expandable notifications are pretty neat.

Upvote 0
I think that had this upgrade not been given a fancy name then not many people would be talking about it.

As above I noticed an increase in how smooth it runs, I'm giving the thumbs up to the pause button added for video recording but in all honestly for the amount of press and publicity jellybean has been given I expected a little more I guess.

Reactions: Sephiroth75
Upvote 0
I'm not that impressed. I don't notice any advantages with it. Ics was very smooth for me - I don't use Google now and the voice search is gimmicky. I hate the grey status bar which I think ruins the look of any wallpaper used plus battery life for me is much much worse. I can't get through a full day on a charge and that is with using the phone very little. I may end up flashing back to ics

Upvote 0
I like Google Now (I have a hospital appointment this morning and its flagging up heavy traffic on the route). I think the improved S voice is better for hands free calling and texting (spot on in my tests). Dont like the new female voice and how it wont use my other loaded speech engines.

Upvote 0
Installed last nigt on my Galaxy S3. Had the usual connection issues with Kies but got their in the end.
Following of from the hype around this upgrade Im disapointed. Not really any different to ICS.
I suspect that ther is an organsied hyping industry around all things smartphone as part of the marketing effort between the three major system contenders & anything new is hyped way beyond reality.

Upvote 0
Granted its CM10 and not the AT&T official, I've been running JB for a few weeks now.

-Absolutely love how smooth everything is now. Smooth transitions, honestly don't want to give too much credit but project butter def smoothed things out.

-Have Google now turned off as I don't really need the cards with updates but voice search and dictation seems much better.

Reactions: James4455
Upvote 0
I upgraded my unbranded phone last night and am fairly unimpressed so far (though this may be samsung, not jb per se).

I am most irritated by the way that when I wake up the phone using the home key it takes me to my homescreen, not just to what i was doing before it turned off.

I can't see many benefits so far.

Upvote 0
That is a setting that you have checked. You have the option to "always unlock to home screen" checked. Uncheck this and you will be taken directly to whatever was on screen when you locked the device. Can't remember where the setting is but once changed you won't unlock to home anymore.

Thanks.

Thought there might be an option and looked for one before posting and following your reply, can't find it anywhere though. Suspect I am being a bit dim!

Probably need a woman to have a proper look :D

Upvote 0
That is a setting that you have checked. You have the option to "always unlock to home screen" checked. Uncheck this and you will be taken directly to whatever was on screen when you locked the device. Can't remember where the setting is but once changed you won't unlock to home anymore.

Where is this? taking me to home screen and not running app is a pain.

Ta

Upvote 0
my buddy was showing off Google Now on his rooted ICS phone and i like how fast it was at "whats the weather like" "did the Dallas Cowboys win last night" type questions, but now reading the drain it has on battery im not so sure im excited for it
definitely doesn't drain the battery at all from my experience so far..in fact my battery life is probably slightly better since JB update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones