[JELLYBEAN] Likes / Dislikes?General

1. wunay

wunay Well-Known Member

I am being offered the JB update on T-Mobile UK.
    Overall what are the impressions of the update?
    What are the problems encountered?
    What are the good things?

Advertisement
    :
  2. andy9l

andy9l Well-Known Member

I went for it in the end, after watching a few forums for any problems. SIM-free, so can't comment specifically on T-Mobile.

First impression was a noticeable "smoothness" feel. I use Nova Launcher Prime, and it seemed a little more silky smooth straight off. Almost as if the animations had slowed, but the frames-per-second had increased. This is also true when using the phone at a "never will I really use it this fast" pace - the smoothness keeps up. Huge improvement on panning around webpages too, especially when they're still loading. No more lag! Noticeably faster unlock transition from lock screen to homescreen too.

Second on the list was Google Now for me, set that up and have had a good play with Google Voice. It's pretty decent. Not quite got the integration I'd hoped for yet, but perhaps that'll improve (he says, hopefully). An example is sending a text. You can say "text Rob, I will be there in ten". All it does is find Rob's details and offers me a link to open Messaging where I type a message. Bit disappointing. Same with alarms - doesn't understand tomorrow or dates. It does, however, work with facts and other bits of functionality too so it's not all bad. "Wake me up at 9" does in-fact wake you up at 9.

I had no problems other than the usual fight with Kies...pff.

Edit: Oh, and expandable notifications are pretty neat.
  3. morpheus2n2

morpheus2n2 Well-Known Member

I updated on T-Mobile and am happy with it there no Boltware that I have noticed and the phone just seems a lot smoother other than a few settings being moved around and Google Now most of it is the same as before just smoother.
  4. pauLAW

pauLAW Member

I think that had this upgrade not been given a fancy name then not many people would be talking about it.

As above I noticed an increase in how smooth it runs, I'm giving the thumbs up to the pause button added for video recording but in all honestly for the amount of press and publicity jellybean has been given I expected a little more I guess.
    Sephiroth75 likes this.
  5. pcbms

pcbms Well-Known Member

I'm not that impressed. I don't notice any advantages with it. Ics was very smooth for me - I don't use Google now and the voice search is gimmicky. I hate the grey status bar which I think ruins the look of any wallpaper used plus battery life for me is much much worse. I can't get through a full day on a charge and that is with using the phone very little. I may end up flashing back to ics
    AnoTherS3uSer and DaddyCee like this.
  6. TobesEtc

TobesEtc Well-Known Member

pcbms - if you don't use Google Now, have you actually turned it off? People are saying it's quite a battery drain.

Google Search > Settings > Google Now and turn off.

Apologies if you meant you'd already done that.
    herkyhawk80 likes this.
  7. andy9l

andy9l Well-Known Member

After one night, battery life appears to have halved. Phoned used about 3-5% over night previously, last night it had chewed through 9%.

Might be Google Now - I'm not really bothered by it but thought I should let you know.
  8. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Well-Known Member

I like Google Now (I have a hospital appointment this morning and its flagging up heavy traffic on the route). I think the improved S voice is better for hands free calling and texting (spot on in my tests). Dont like the new female voice and how it wont use my other loaded speech engines.
  9. stuggyduggy

stuggyduggy Member

Installed last nigt on my Galaxy S3. Had the usual connection issues with Kies but got their in the end.
    Following of from the hype around this upgrade Im disapointed. Not really any different to ICS.
    I suspect that ther is an organsied hyping industry around all things smartphone as part of the marketing effort between the three major system contenders & anything new is hyped way beyond reality.
  10. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

yeah battery life has been drastically reduced, hope they issue a fix. I'm on Vodafone UK network the phone is unbranded.
  11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Hey guys,

What do you like about your Jellybean update?
    What don't you like?
    What would you change back?
    What do you wish was implemented but wasn't?

Whatever your carrier, whatever your model, post your thoughts here :)

AOSP / Samsung ROM comments Welcome!
  12. UserName872

UserName872 Well-Known Member

Granted its CM10 and not the AT&T official, I've been running JB for a few weeks now.

-Absolutely love how smooth everything is now. Smooth transitions, honestly don't want to give too much credit but project butter def smoothed things out.

-Have Google now turned off as I don't really need the cards with updates but voice search and dictation seems much better.
    James4455 likes this.
  13. SUroot

Added:

AOSP / Samsung ROM comments Welcome!

To OP :)
  14. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

how are you turning google off? and what effects will this have on the handset?
  15. SUroot

If you go into Google Search (long press Home > g, or via the search widget or long press menu).... then menu > Settings > google now

There is an on /off there.

Turning google now off means you wont get google now features. I did this as its a huge drain. No issues.
  16. Wooster

Wooster New Member

I upgraded my unbranded phone last night and am fairly unimpressed so far (though this may be samsung, not jb per se).

I am most irritated by the way that when I wake up the phone using the home key it takes me to my homescreen, not just to what i was doing before it turned off.

I can't see many benefits so far.
  17. UserName872

UserName872 Well-Known Member

That is a setting that you have checked. You have the option to "always unlock to home screen" checked. Uncheck this and you will be taken directly to whatever was on screen when you locked the device. Can't remember where the setting is but once changed you won't unlock to home anymore.
  18. Wooster

Wooster New Member

Thanks.

Thought there might be an option and looked for one before posting and following your reply, can't find it anywhere though. Suspect I am being a bit dim!

Probably need a woman to have a proper look :D
  19. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

my buddy was showing off Google Now on his rooted ICS phone and i like how fast it was at "whats the weather like" "did the Dallas Cowboys win last night" type questions, but now reading the drain it has on battery im not so sure im excited for it
  20. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Where is this? taking me to home screen and not running app is a pain.

Ta
  21. hairless

hairless Well-Known Member

I;m on Tmob uk do I just sit and wait for something to ntify me or do I have to go and get JB from somewhere ?? I attached to kies yesterday and it just said latest firmware installed. Am I being thick??
  22. Wisheezy

Wisheezy Well-Known Member

definitely doesn't drain the battery at all from my experience so far..in fact my battery life is probably slightly better since JB update.
  23. czechplastik

czechplastik Well-Known Member

I don't think T-Mob have readied their update yet.
  24. Wisheezy

Wisheezy Well-Known Member

battery is completely fine for me on JB with Google Now on..everyone always crying about battery life! only 69% today nearly into my 11th hour of discharge with 30 mins of streaming and 30 mins of gaming in my lunch and the usual use.
  25. arkangeluk

arkangeluk Well-Known Member

im with tmobile and ive just updated mine to jb. having a play about just now. all seems well so far

ric