• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just read a review about the Incredible lacking in quality wireless communications...

I used to have crappy reception -103db or so and I would constantly drop calls; plus the call quality was just awful. Then I found a solution that took my reception up to an average -82db and I never drop calls now. Plus the voice quality is outstanding now (which I don't understand why it improved unless the voice issue is directly related to signal strength).

Solution that helped me -http://androidforums.com/htc-incred...er-sounding-call-quality-solution-inside.html

:eek:

Upvote 0
Imo they are probably like ozcarguide who releases bogus news to inflate their hit stats to get more revenue. People are going to search for bad reviews on purpose, some of them will be iphone fanboys who want an ego boost others will be folks looking for contrasting reviews. But just because they posted it does not mean its true or should be taken seriously.

Reactions: necosino
Upvote 0
I noticed too, in the same exact spot. Phone idling = ~-85db. I placed a call to my GV voicemail, and the signal went to -73db. Nothing else changed (didn't even move the phone). So this supports HTC's emails saying that the chip goes into a "power saving mode" when idling to conserve energy. Then once a call is initiated, the chip works at its full potential. I'd like to see more people post their results in a similar situation; maybe there's a bug causing the chip to not come out of power saving mode. (complete speculation until more results given)

Upvote 0
I used to have crappy reception -103db or so and I would constantly drop calls; plus the call quality was just awful. Then I found a solution that took my reception up to an average -82db and I never drop calls now. Plus the voice quality is outstanding now (which I don't understand why it improved unless the voice issue is directly related to signal strength).

Solution that helped me -http://androidforums.com/htc-incred...er-sounding-call-quality-solution-inside.html

:eek:
That supposed solution has absolutely nothing to do with reception or signal strength. You seem slightly confused. All that does is change the voice codec. And doing so in some areas may cause you to not get a signal at all.

So, you going from -103 to -82 is either a fluke or the way you hold your phone (which is well documented). BTW, the dBm's are your signal strength. That also has nothing to do with reception.

Upvote 0
I noticed too, in the same exact spot. Phone idling = ~-85db. I placed a call to my GV voicemail, and the signal went to -73db. Nothing else changed (didn't even move the phone). So this supports HTC's emails saying that the chip goes into a "power saving mode" when idling to conserve energy. Then once a call is initiated, the chip works at its full potential. I'd like to see more people post their results in a similar situation; maybe there's a bug causing the chip to not come out of power saving mode. (complete speculation until more results given)

No offense to you but all of this crap from HTC is complete hogwash. The bottom line is the Inc gets a crappy signal. If you're lucky enough to be in an area which is overly saturated with coverage, your signal will probably be ok.

But, someone at HTC is covering their ass by telling customers this. Power saving mode..... LOL

Upvote 0
I wouldn't really consider myself to be in a saturated area. I live about 30 minutes from any city with a population >10,000, and am right on the Canadian border in upstate NY.

I've never had an issue with coverage or call quality with the Incredible though in the 3 weeks I've had it.
I'm located in upstate NY too. I can watch my signal as I call and it does not change. It's crappy. Depending on how I hold my phone, now that's a signal changer.

Upvote 0
No offense to you but all of this crap from HTC is complete hogwash. The bottom line is the Inc gets a crappy signal. If you're lucky enough to be in an area which is overly saturated with coverage, your signal will probably be ok.

But, someone at HTC is covering their ass by telling customers this. Power saving mode..... LOL

I think the problem is bigger than that. I dont really get a horrible signal, but my call quality is usually garbage half the time. The only time I get a very clear sounding call is if I call my Voice Mail. Its weird, the computer voice on the voice mail prompt is clear as day. But if I make an actual phone call, its muffled and sometimes cuts in and out. My signal quality is good most the time, yet I still have quality issues.
HTC in their latest email told me there is now delays in issuing a fix for this. They state that the delays are OUT OF THEIR CONTROL! What the heck does that mean. Is Verizon holding them up for some reason?!

Upvote 0

It is a bunch of crap but the way my EVDO signal jumps around I suppose an uninformed HTC data tech or marketing type could easily believe it. I heard it also for the Nexus One and I hope they don't leave us in the lurch like they did for the N1. At least we have VZ and the N1s had nobody.

My INC's radio is a very poor performer in weak signal areas WRT voice and weak to medium signal areas WRT 3G data. My EVDO signal strength is usually 10 to 20 dB weaker than my CDMA signal strength unless my CDMA signal strength is -75 to -80 dB or better and then the two are comparable or the EVDO is only a few dB weaker. This tells me the INC has a 1900 MHz band problem in the radio front end or with the antenna.

My INC has very poor call quality with muffled sound and lots of syllable loss. I have tried the EVRC to EVRC-B change which maybe helped a little bit.

I have been told by VZ data techs that they are well aware of both the reception and call quality problems and are looking for solutions. Other people in direct contact with HTC have been told the same thing but so far no real answers or time frame for fixes.

I have had several HTC phones and never have I had one that has had outstanding reception and for me the INC is no different. HTC makes great devices but lousy cell phones. I am holding out until the 29th day in hopes that HTC/VZ comes through with a fix for these problems because otherwise I really like the INC.

Upvote 0
Imo they are probably like ozcarguide who releases bogus news to inflate their hit stats to get more revenue. People are going to search for bad reviews on purpose, some of them will be iphone fanboys who want an ego boost others will be folks looking for contrasting reviews. But just because they posted it does not mean its true or should be taken seriously.

I'd agree with you there. Anyone notice when they were talking about the HTC Sense and they said it had 5 home screens. Sorry but there are 7 home screens. I wonder if they even had the phone in hand when they reviewed it. If they did the number of home screens would be pretty hard to miss. Probably wrote their review off of someone else's then added in the negatives where it would count. I've had no problems with cell reception, I have a problem with wifi, but I also have the same problems with my PCs and laptop, so I don't think that's the phone.
Just bad journalism.

Upvote 0
I must be "incredibly" lucky - because this is the best phone I've ever had the pleasure of owning. My calls have always been crystal clear, and I've already traveled with it from highly saturated Verizon areas to very low saturated Verizon areas with no noticeable difference in call quality.

Even my 99 year old grandmother who wears a hearing aid can tell the difference in this phone and others that I've owned as a recipient of calls from me. She's asked me if I'm calling from a different phone, because it's so much easier to hear me now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones