• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] ZTE z990g Merit , Internal Space, SD card, Rooting

I started out following this thread to root my ZTE Z990G and then realized how new it was and that it stopped. I went and picked up from/followed the original instructions from jcase . . . Everything 'seemed' to work properly until I got to where he said 'go to the market and install Superuser' - Well Whenever I try to install Superuser from the market I get the wonderful 'insufficient storage available to install' message - Which is what I thought this rooting thing was going to fix. Do you think I did something wrong? Missed a step somewhere ?

BTW - Your Step by Step here is AWESOME - :) - This helped me tremendously in understanding the original author's instructions. I am so glad you took the time with (Joanie) to do this!

Upvote 0
I started out following this thread to root my ZTE Z990G and then realized how new it was and that it stopped. I went and picked up from/followed the original instructions from jcase . . . Everything 'seemed' to work properly until I got to where he said 'go to the market and install Superuser' - Well Whenever I try to install Superuser from the market I get the wonderful 'insufficient storage available to install' message - Which is what I thought this rooting thing was going to fix. Do you think I did something wrong? Missed a step somewhere ?

BTW - Your Step by Step here is AWESOME - :) - This helped me tremendously in understanding the original author's instructions. I am so glad you took the time with (Joanie) to do this!

It sure is wonderful they are taking the time to walk me through this, i'm sure there are so many others that have little experience in doing something like this and *normal terms/instructions* won't let us grasp what to do.

I hope to be rooted soon :)

And good luck with your issue, i'm sure they will be online soon and can possibly point you in the right direction :)

Reactions: jjflappy
Upvote 0

Uninstall a few useless apps and you should be good to go to download superuser. Rooting isnt going to magically give you more space. It will however allow you to remove system apps which a lot of times are bloatware.

Upvote 0
Maybe someone can answer this for me..

I've been trying to root today on my own, following all the steps that SquiglyMcNerd walked me through last night in this thread also adding jcase instuctions to the end, I didn't think it rooted on my final atempt (something screwy with the su file) so I just tried again and this is what happened....

After typing in
CMD (enter)
CD.. (enter)
adb devices (enter)
I then get...
*daemon not running. starting it now*
*daemon started successfully*
List of devices attached
P736T_TF device
I closed out box and started with fresh shell

CMD (enter)
CD.. (enter)
Copied and pasted
adb shell

(After pasting adb shell, I now get # symbol instead of $ )

What does this mean? Could I possibly be rooted now?

Upvote 0
Negative. Unless you continued passed the:
Code:
ls -l /data/local.prop
step. If not pick up where you left off, Type in
Code:
ls -l /data/local.prop
If should say file exist.
From there:
Code:
echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
Then:
Code:
exit
Then:
Code:
adb reboot
Then:
Code:
adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
Then:
Code:
adb shell rm /data/local.prop
adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs
Finally:
Code:
adb reboot

Install Superuser app, run it, give it permission. You are now rooted.

Upvote 0
# technically means your phone is rooted. Download supueruser app and run it. It'll ask for permission, give it permission. Download root check and see if you are.

Ok looking at Superuser (It didn't ask for permission)

On Info page;

superuser v3.1.3(46)
tap to display log

elite not installed
get elite

su binary not found
outdated binary notification (That has a check mark in box)

temp unroot (That is unchecked)

ota survival ( That is unchecked)

Do you know what this means?

I will download Root Check and see what it says too

Upvote 0
Sorry this device does not have proper root access *sigh* Guess I will start over .

1) Do I need to uninstall Superuser before I start again?

2) When I get to the last code adb reboot ....will the phone do a reboot after I type that in or do I have to shut it down myself?

3) And continuing to try the root with a symbol of # instead of $ , won't create any issues?

Upvote 0
Sorry this device does not have proper root access *sigh* Guess I will start over .

1) Do I need to uninstall Superuser before I start again?

2) When I get to the last code adb reboot ....will the phone do a reboot after I type that in or do I have to shut it down myself?

3) And continuing to try the root with a symbol of # instead of $ , won't create any issues?

1. No you can keep superuser installed
2. Yes that command should restart your phone. You have to press enter after each command though.
3. Shouldn't cause any issues having # instead of $.

Upvote 0
1. No you can keep superuser installed
2. Yes that command should restart your phone. You have to press enter after each command though.
3. Shouldn't cause any issues having # instead of $.

I thought there was an issue with the su part of the root process

The two files SquiglyMcnerd had me download were:

http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r20.0.3-windows.zip
(is downloaded in C: )

http://dottech.org/downloads/ZTE_Android_Driver.exe

So where would my su file actually be?

Upvote 0
Joanie - When I rooted mine I discovered that the su file HAD to be in the same directory the SDK was installed in - so if your SDK is installed at C: then you need to copy the SU file there. Also, in the Superuser app I had to tick mark the OTA Survival checkbox for superuser to do what it was supposed to do.

This is the link of the jcase instructions that I followed (picking up where squidlymcnerd stopped with you)

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/27810-root-zte-z990g-aka-zte-merit/

Hope that helps you some !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones