• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] ZTE z990g Merit , Internal Space, SD card, Rooting

Maybe somebody can explain this to me.

Phone is rooted.
Superuser installed and working.
Root Check installed and verified I do have root.
Clockworkmod is installed and a back up was created.
Link2SD is installed and I have been able to delete programs that came installed on phone.
Deleted some applications, reinstalled them to the phone and was able to move them to SD card.I have also loaded some music.

Phone is not partioned.
I don't have a file manager yet.

My SD card is 32GB Class 10.

When I go into STORAGE on my phone.

SD Card:
Total space:29.71GB
Available space: 29:30

Internal Storage:
Available Space
103 MB

Why am I not showing 32 GB as Total space?
Also, approximately how low will I be able to get available internal storage down to? I still have a lot I can delete...

Upvote 0
CWM will work for 4g maybe bigger but I can't get the cards to work in my PC after that. I have yet to get the free tools that everyone else uses to partition for me. I've done it on hard drives & SD cards for years but I can't get it on the micros. I think link2SD will do it tho. You really need it partitioned to get full use out of this app. If you don't the app is just a waste of space.

So, your not partitioned either?

Upvote 0
I did install Rom Manager , but never used it and deleted it.... (Can you explain what brick my phone is? ) Everything seems to be working ok...

BRICK your phone means it's as useful as a brick. It could be used as a door prop or paperweight but definitely not a phone. It is useless. You definitely need a SD partitioned to have space for apps. Link2sd uses the 2nd part. to store much of selected apps' info on, thus freeing up space in your phone. Partitioning tools or apps can do it without wiping the SD. I have a 16gb card and used CWM to partition it, IDK 32's couldn't be done that way. Link2sd won't partition, it just converts, moves and links.

Reactions: JustJoanie
Upvote 0
There are 2 kinds of BRICKS soft and hard
Soft-phone doesn't boot up boot loops phone recognized by computer adb works and recovery still exist-FIXABLE BY RESTORING BACKUP OR FLASHING ROM
Hard-phone doesn't boot computer doesn't recognize adb doesn't work no recovery- NOT FIXABLE (I have heard of cases where it is though depending on phone model)

Upvote 0
There are 2 kinds of BRICKS soft and hard
Soft-phone doesn't boot up boot loops phone recognized by computer adb works and recovery still exist-FIXABLE BY RESTORING BACKUP OR FLASHING ROM
Hard-phone doesn't boot computer doesn't recognize adb doesn't work no recovery- NOT FIXABLE (I have heard of cases where it is though depending on phone model)

Well thank God I don't seem to have bricked my phone, all is working well that I can tell... :)

I try and make sure I understand everything fully before I do anything stupid to my phone, LOL as you can tell by this lengthy thread and all the questions I ask....

Partioning with this 32 G is what i'm so confused about now, and a dang file manager...

Upvote 0
Well thank God I don't seem to have bricked my phone, all is working well that I can tell... :)

I try and make sure I understand everything fully before I do anything stupid to my phone, LOL as you can tell by this lengthy thread and all the questions I ask....

There's is nothing wrong with asking questions :) you learn and grow and its always better to ask and make sure then jump head first into trouble :)

Upvote 0
CWM wont work for a 32G card. it will make it useable but there is a lot of the card left unusable.

King, your computer can't see the second part. because it isn't set to primary. It just reads the main part. The 2nd is there and is seen by Link2sd. Joan, when cards are sized, you never get the full rated amount. Be careful deleting apps. Alot are linked and dependant on others.

Upvote 0
Another thing is to always make a backup of your phone(via recovery) before attempting ANYTHING :)

I get a little nervous when I go into the recovery (clockworkmod)

When I make a new backup it just over rides the previous one, correct?

And while I have your attention, what are your thoughts as to partitioning this 32 G and how would you suggest I do it?

Which file manager would you recommend?

Upvote 0
King, your computer can't see the second part. because it isn't set to primary. It just reads the main part. The 2nd is there and is seen by Link2sd. Joan, when cards are sized, you never get the full rated amount. Be careful deleting apps. Alot are linked and dependant on others.

Thanks , I was pointed in the direction of this thread about what apps were safe to delete....
No Need for New Rom for space or performance
I've deleted a few apps and reinstalled, I am being very careful and I've been told...Do not delete the music and e-mail apps..... If i'm not sure, I won't touch it...

Teach me all you wise ones :) You people really amaze me with all your knowledge, i'm learning sooooooooooo much.

Reactions: Russ71
Upvote 0
Try a few out, Joan. It really comes down to layout, functionality, and the biggest- personal taste. I use ES because of its simplicity and plenty of functions. It isn't huge so it saves space and the dev team gets back to you quick if you have an issue. Not knocking it, but, Rom Toolbox is more for advanced users. It gives you options that can mess up your phone without realizing it. Been there. :)

Upvote 0
The backup isn't over-written. It makes another b.u. each time. you select backup. They are time stamped. Good thing you have a 32gig card. :)
Go back farther in the thread list. One that has DO NOT REMOVE EMAIL. APK. The one you looked at removed alot that not everyone may want to remove. Its a good thread, just kinda anorexic for beginners.

Upvote 0
Use your explorer go to clockwork mod/backups and long press on the backup you want to delete and select delete :) good thing is to rename the backups to something other then date and time for example
I have a cm7 cm9 and cm10 I renamed them to that so its easier to set them apart I always make event backups of cm9(as its my daily driver) and delete the old one :)

Upvote 0
About partitioning, copy your card to the computer before you partition it. If parting the card wipes it, you can put the files back on the card from the comp. It will put what you have on it now, on the main part where it belongs.
EDIT- correct. You need the settings in that thread though. I made a 2gb part for the 2nd part, also.

Upvote 0
Use your explorer go to clockwork mod/backups and long press on the backup you want to delete and select delete :) good thing is to rename the backups to something other then date and time for example
I have a cm7 cm9 and cm10 I renamed them to that so its easier to set them apart I always make event backups of cm9(as its my daily driver) and delete the old one :)

Weeeeeee all that just flew over my non-android brain... lol

Are you telling me to hook up phone to pc, run, cmd and open CWM that way?

Upvote 0
Weeeeeee all that just flew over my non-android brain... lol

Are you telling me to hook up phone to pc, run, cmd and open CWM that way?

Nope backups are saved to the SD card so all you need is a file explorer and go to that directory(clockwork mod/backup) there all named by the date and exact time it was created so after making a backup go and rename it to whatever you choose to set them apart

Upvote 0
When you get a file explorer, all of what Starscream said will make sense. CM7 and the others are particular to his phone. Cyanogen Mod ROMs I believe? Those aren't ported (tailor-made) to this model phone yet, Joanie. You need an explorer first. :)

Like he said what I have is for my device for you it could just be stock backups so name them like...stock1 stock2 etc. And again try solid explorer it has root function too :)
abubane9.jpg

There's a screenshot to show you what it looks like :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones