• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N64 Emulator

I have just downloaded N64oid to my phone, (Droid Razr) as well as 2 games, (mario 64, and Mario cart). the software launches perfectly. But the problem is with the graphics itself. The characters from Mario cart show up as black cubes, and the trees and many other items from Mario 64 are black triangles. is there anything that i can do to get rid of them, and display the proper things?

My wife got a Droid Razr yesterday, and it looks like one of the two video plug-ins I'm using in my emulator has this same problem as well. I'll try and track down the cause. If I figure out a solution, I'll let Yongzh know so he can fix N64oid as well.

Upvote 0
Please go through the following troubleshooting steps:

- Make sure the ROM is in .n64, .v64, .z64, or .zip format (extensions .7z, .tar, and .gz are not supported and must be unzipped)
- If the ROM is in .zip format, try unzipping it on your computer to make sure the file isn't corrupt
- If the ROM is in .zip format, make sure the compressed file inside it has the extension .n64, .v64, or .z64
- Try other games, or try getting the ROMs from another source

If those don't fix your problem, then perform the following steps:
1) Backup your saves (in the folder [sdcard]/Android/data/paulscode.android.mupen64plus[.xperiaplay]/data/save)
2) Select the "Restore App Data" option under the "Settings" menu.
3) If your games start working again, then restore the saves you backed up in step 1.

If that doesn't fix your problem, then install the free app "Android System Info" from the Android Market. Run it and look up your supported OpenGL versions under the "System" tab. If version 2.0 is not listed, then your device does not support GLES2, which is currently a requirement for the emulator to work. I plan to develop a video plug-in for version 1.1 in the future, but it will probably be some time before it is ready.

If none of the above things are the cause of your problem, then install and run the following test app once:

Verbose Test App

Then install the free app "aLogcat" from the Android Market. Run aLogcat, and wait for it to read the logs (may take several minutes the first time you run it, so be patient). When it is finished reading the logs, then select "Clear" from the menu, and close aLogcat. Run the test app again, and get it to crash by opening one of the games. Then run aLogcat again, and this time choose "Save" from the menu. It will save a text file to your SD Card under the folder "alogcat". Please post that here so I can read through it to see if there is any useful information on what might be causing the problem.

Reactions: jirka.h23
Upvote 0
Is there a problem during installation, or are there problems running the app after it is installed? What kind of behavior do you see (i.e. does it get into the menus, and where does it have problems?) Is it the behavior you mentioned in your previous post (where Mario 64 crashes back to home?) Thanks for the report! I'll definitely try and solve this problem.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, frameskip will decrease the FPS, not increase it. The idea is that if you render fewer frames, that frees up some of the CPU power to spend more on the core emulation. If you're having to jack the frameskip up to 5 to, then the game you are playing is probably just too much for the emulator on your hardware. Pre-ARM7 devices struggle a lot with most games, and even simpler games like Mario64 require using a few speed hacks to get running at a playable speed. If you haven't seen this yet, I put together a list of optimizations you can use now in this thread. I will continue adding more optimizations and improving things going forward in development. I fully expect ARM6 devices to be able to run most games at full speed at some point in the future (hell, if the PSP can emulate the N64 at 300MHz, it should be a breeze for 600-800MHz phones!)

Reactions: jirka.h23
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones