• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [NEW SuperOneClick] Root, Install & Use xRecovery on Xperia X8

ok..thank you so much gabe.. I can download already ^^
btw, if after I rooted my x8 then I can straight go to the link "Installing GingerDX ROM 2.3 on Xperia X8" and upgrade my 2.1 to 2.3.5?? just follow the step??

Hi,

1) Root
2) install xRecovery (copy & paste 3 files into /system/bin)
3) download custom rom to SD card
4) use xRecovery to flash custom rom

better follow the guide... there are some things to look out for.

cheers :)
gabe

Upvote 0
I think you may have missed out a step in your guide though...

"Step 1: Root your Xperia X8
- download and unzip SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse to PC Desktop
- connect Xperia X8 to PC (Do not mount)
- on your phone <goto><setting><applications> select <unknown sources>
- on your phone <goto><settings><applications><development> select <usb debugging>
- Launch SuperOneClick -> click <Root>
- you will see - <not successful - is your phone software higher than 2.0?>
- click <yes> and then <success> & <test su> message
"

You should add "Re-boot" phone as the final part to this step because in my experience when I followed your guide, Superuser doesn't work properly until you re-boot.

Clear and concise guide by the way.

Reactions: gabeyong
Upvote 0
hey i have completed step1 and i'm not able to get step2.....and my phone is getting switched off automatically....can any one help me????

Hi,

if you cannot go pass step one... then you have not successfully root your phone.

Look through the postings for possible answers:
- no USB drivers, phone not detected
- faulty USB cable
- no .NET framework installed (v2.0 and above)
- phone settings not enabled.

gabe

Upvote 0
Hello. I rooted my phone a while back and installed Xrecovery, followed all the instruction, and suddenly I get to Xrecoverys main menu, but there's one problem... it keeps saying "Can't open /tmp/recovery.log" because I don't even know what the hell that's supposed to mean. so anyway I tried installing a custom ROM (CM7) then it says "finding update package" "Opening update package" "Installing update" "E: Can't make /tmp/update-binary"

This is getting me really confused as I followed everything that I was supposed to do... What the heck do I do to resolve this issue?

Upvote 0
Hello, i just bought an Xperia X8 (Orange, Dominican Rep.) and i was able to root it successfuly. Now the thing is that i can't seem to get the xRecovery to work. I did all the steps, triple-checked, and no luck. But i wonder, this X8 came with build 2.0.1.A.0.47 and the updater says it is updated to the latest. I believe this build version has to do with the problem but then, what can i do now? I saw a post where someone stated that was able to do it with this same stock build using xRecovery-mini-0.1-beta which i already tried also and no luck.

Can anyone having this same version and having successfuly made xRecovery work give me some advice? Thanks in advance!

Xperia X8 E15i
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404006
Kernel version: 2.6.29
Build number: 2.0.1.A.0.47

*Update* I managed to find this post ( forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=825228 ) and was able to change the customization code for my X8 to 1242-7327 as instructed in the tutorial and now i got a new update available on Update Service, i was able to update to Baseband ver. M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404015 and build 2.1.1.A.0.6, gonna try reinstalling xRecovery now, will post results as soon as they come!

*Update 2* After deleting the old chargemon file from system i was able to install xRecovery.E15i.installer.apk, rebooted and i was able to run xRecovery!! Going to install update-GingerDX.v013 now, wish me luck!
Could you please give a step by step - having same issue and it,s driving me mad,cheers,Dan

Upvote 0
everytime i try to run the super one click program i just get
unhandled exception has occred in your application if you click continue the application will ignore this and attept to continue if you clcik quit the application will close
object reference not set to an instance of an object

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SuperOneClick.Form1.btnRoot_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5448 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SuperOneClick
Assembly Version: 1.9.1.0
Win32 Version: 1.9.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Home/Documents/SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse/SuperOneClick.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5447 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
any ideas?

edit: found out mjy anti virus was interfering with the program placing it in sandbox mode

Upvote 0
everytime i try to run the super one click program i just get
unhandled exception has occred in your application if you click continue the application will ignore this and attept to continue if you clcik quit the application will close
object reference not set to an instance of an object

any ideas?

Hi,

Looks like you got a .NET framework issue.
You got to have .NET Framework v2.0 installed on your PC.

gabe

Upvote 0
I bought an X8 a few days ago and rooted it following gabe's instructions (thanks gabe :))..it went smoothly. I made a backup using xrecovery and then moved the backup files to my pc. But then my phone started to get really laggy (not sure what caused this...maybe because I deleted google talk, openoffice and wisepilot which came preinstalled using root explorer and this caused some kind of issue) and I wanted to restore the backup I made before deleting these programs but couldn't do it because I couldn't copy the backup back onto the sdcard. Windows kept giving me an error message saying it couldn't read from the source disk or something. So I did a full factory wipe using xrecovery and the phone started working smoothly again, with one problem...I can't download anything from the market because all downloads get stuck at the starting stage and don't proceed further :(

Upvote 0
i'm very very sure with .NET framework (3.5 SP2 and 4) is installed in my computer. BUT whenever I click ROOT with SuperOneClick, it just got hang when it goes to "waiting for device..." its same with both SuperOneClick version. debugging connection is selected, USB is connected too. It can be seen from my phone, saying USB debugging conected, USB connected. what's the problem? anyone can help?

Upvote 0
few days b4,i rooted my phn(successful) and installd rootexplorer..
smwhr i read tat clockwrkmod z new vrsn f xrecvry..so i dwnlded tat
it had META-INF and system folder>{xbin>>sh, bin>>recvry.tar,chargemon,charger)

as it ws writtn in instrctn to cpy cntents f bth 'XBIN' n 'BIN' into /system/bin n grnt permissions..
i did the same by clckn mount r/w..n pasted it
#rebooted..

Now rootxplorer shws Restrt App error..and wifi and odr thngs r disabld on phone..
any .apk regrdng root access doesnt seem to wrk,evn wen Superuser app alows thm permissn

#flashtool tried too..(not wrking nw)
#tried to re-root..(not wrking)

PLZ HELP!!:(:( m stuck badly..

Upvote 0
i have a question though, after rooting and installing xrecovery, would it be ok if i change my sd card? my phone will still be rooted and have xrecovery installed? thanks :D

Hi,

Yeah it's ok to change your SD Card. your phone will still be rooted and xRecovery will still be installed in your phone.

To start using a new SD card it might be safer to create a folder called xRecovery and copy your backup to /sd card/xrecovery/backup.

gabe

Upvote 0
Hi,

Yeah it's ok to change your SD Card. your phone will still be rooted and xRecovery will still be installed in your phone.

To start using a new SD card it might be safer to create a folder called xRecovery and copy your backup to /sd card/xrecovery/backup.

gabe

thanks thanks thanks :D good job on this! works fine. want to change the theme next. having the problem though but i'll keep trying :D

Upvote 0
Hi. please
when i click on root in superoneclick it freeze
it say
deamon not running, starting it now on 5037
deamon started succesfully

ok

waiting for device..

--
sd card in unplugged, unknowns sources and debugging is on

EDIT: looks like installing pdanet solved it.
another problem: i just cant Copy xRecovery files to </system/bin>
i tryied it with 3 apps and it just wont let me to copy or move something there

Upvote 0
Hi. please
when i click on root in superoneclick it freeze
it say... EDIT:

EDIT: looks like installing pdanet solved it.
another problem: i just cant Copy xRecovery files to </system/bin>
i tryied it with 3 apps and it just wont let me to copy or move something there

Hi,

You have to <Mount R/W> before you can copy and paste anything using Root Explorer.

gabe

Reactions: groso
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones