• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NYC Launch Day Events

Hey there.

How about we get some launch day event talk going. I live in the NYC area, and if the rumors about a BestBuy launch on 6 June are correct, then I'll be there on that day.

It'd be cool if we could all get together -- for a beer, to wait in line together, check out the phones, to upload pics, to support AndroidForums.com and Phandroid.

What does everyone think about that?

Let's make this thing concrete.

Date: 6 June / 13 June (Determined by Official Release) (Perhaps confirmed here)

Best Buy Store
23rd Street and 6th Avenue

Time: 10am (breakfast); 11am (store opening)

Attendees:
esone1ll
LatinP
jgangsta

UPDATE: I pre-ordered at the Radio Shack here: Radio Shack - Google Maps

so how we meetin up guys like are we gonna aim each other how are we planning this kuz once i pick up my evo friday and setup everything ill be ready for sundays launch

Upvote 0
Radio Shack - Google Maps

Is anyone else up for meeting there, instead? 6th avenue at Washington Place.

thats a small radioshack prob wont be anyone there...

i wont be at that location, but kinda close. the shack thats closest to my place is on 7th btwn 13th and 14th. great location because its between the 2 big sprint stores and shouldnt be too busy. plus theres an irving farm coffee shop across the street... ill be waiting outside at 8:45am with my beast of a bulldog, i just hope that the store associate wasnt lying to me about having non-preordered devices for people like me who waited one day too long to preorder (supposedly they were taking preorders till the 31st, but all radio shacks in the city met their preorder limits on the 25th)

i have absolutely no faith in best buy, dont let me down radio shack!

Upvote 0
Anyone pre-order from the Best Buy on 5th Avenue in NYC? If so, does anyone know what time they'll be opening and have you gotten an appt time? It's nuts that so many people have gotten theirs and I still haven't gotten mine :(

I also hope that I'm guaranteed a phone- I saw I was #8 and it's worrying me that they only pre-ordered a certain number that may not match with the pre-order demand.

Reactions: jgangsta
Upvote 0
WeWantOurEVO.png

Upvote 0
Anyone pre-order from the Best Buy on 5th Avenue in NYC? If so, does anyone know what time they'll be opening and have you gotten an appt time? It's nuts that so many people have gotten theirs and I still haven't gotten mine :(

I also hope that I'm guaranteed a phone- I saw I was #8 and it's worrying me that they only pre-ordered a certain number that may not match with the pre-order demand.

Thats too funny, I pre ordered at the same BB, 5th and 44th I believe. and I'm #7! I JUST got a VM from BB to make my appointment, so waiting for them to call back, you should be getting one today as well.

Upvote 0
Thats too funny, I pre ordered at the same BB, 5th and 44th I believe. and I'm #7! I JUST got a VM from BB to make my appointment, so waiting for them to call back, you should be getting one today as well.

YUP That's the store! Glad to know I should be getting a call today! AHHH! Thanks! The wait is killing me- at least knowing an appt time is one step closer to getting this phone :)

Upvote 0
YUP That's the store! Glad to know I should be getting a call today! AHHH! Thanks! The wait is killing me- at least knowing an appt time is one step closer to getting this phone :)

OK, spoke with BB and I'm set up for 9am. They're NOT going to have an early opening as of right now, so since your # is right by me, you should have no problem getting it at opening as well. Good luck!

Upvote 0
OK, spoke with BB and I'm set up for 9am. They're NOT going to have an early opening as of right now, so since your # is right by me, you should have no problem getting it at opening as well. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'm kinda bummed- was hoping for an early opening. But that's OK. I have the day off work so I can drop by anytime really.

Now I sit anxiously waiting for the call lol.

Upvote 0

I preordered here as well. I got in on the 2nd day (5/14) and there were already 50ish or so preorders ahead of me. ...sigh :) Let me know if you get the call.

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, what kind of work do you New Yorkers do that a) allows you to afford living there and b) allows you to browse tech forums all day like me :)

No comment.

Work ~ I'm in finance. And life here is a trade off, long hours ~ we typically hate our jobs - for really good pay and access to promotions and other opportunities most other cities don't have.

Upvote 0
I preordered here as well. I got in on the 2nd day (5/14) and there were already 50ish or so preorders ahead of me. ...sigh :) Let me know if you get the call.

I actually got a call around 4pm today but for some reason didn't get a notification until an hour later sooooo I unfortunately missed the 9:30am slot (they open at 9am I assume?). So my time is scheduled for 10am which is fine by me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones