• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official: GPS fix is being pushed out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can tell you that JM2 has *without question* improved my GPS. Prior to loading this ROM I could not get a lock at all (maybe twice in a week). Now I am getting a lock almost immediately. Even indoors I got a lock in less than 20 seconds. Something is different. I did not adjust the settings after flashing JM2. I tried every fix available on the stock rom to no avail.

The fact is that you have no idea whether or not JM2 is responsible for fixing your phone because some people claim that just simply doing a Factory Reset fixed their phones, which may or may not be true. Others claim that entering the information for the GPS placebo fix does the trick. Neither of those work for me so that indicates that either it was working for them all along possibly or that the issue is within software and depends on other factors.

You're saying that it fixed it for you, but I've already seen numerous posts that it doesn't fix it at all...... When you can explain to me what was changed in JM2 that fixed GPS for you then you actually have proof "without question" that it was the reason GPS is fixed.

Upvote 0
We must keep searching for a fix - it's the Best Android Phone At&t has and it seems like it will be the phone for quite some time (but hey you never know - this one was a SHOCKER from out of NOWHERE).

This is what I have found and it works Really Well! (so far):
Not sure if I can borrow from another Forum, but hey these are desperate times which require desperate measures. This has work so well it's scary - If you can't get a lock inside stepping outside allows you a signal/lock almost immediately (that stays locked) and most times unless inside a brick building you can get a lock inside as well.

NEW INFORMATION!!!

ALSO! Check out this page: http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html:
As pool.ntp.org will assign you timeservers from all over the world, time quality will not be ideal. You get a bit better result if you use the continental zones (For example europe, north-america, oceania or asia.pool.ntp.org), and even better time if you use the country zone (like ch.pool.ntp.org in Switzerland) - for all these zones, you can again use the 0, 1 or 2 prefixes, like 0.ch.pool.ntp.org. Note, however, that the country zone might not exist for your country, or might contain only one or two timeservers. If you know timeservers that are really close to you (measured by network distance, with traceroute or ping), time probably will be even better.

Find your optimal pool server here: http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/north-america
For US the optimal server is: us.pool.ntp.org

Reference other threads I (http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-de...d.php?t=731462) I recommend you do the following:

Use Root Explorer or some other method (I use Root Explorer as it has a built in Text Editor and automatically backs up the altered file.) to go to here:
system/etc/gps.conf
Use the text editor to alter the gps.conf file to this (if you are in the US):

NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=north-america.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

If you are NOT in the US go to here: http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html and look at the links in the center of the page to navigate to the closest pool to your geographical location and use that pool for the top server entry.

REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Many are suggesting that we do NOT leave the Secure Socket ON. How will this effect data security with our devices? I don't understand how it could hurt us... But, there must be a reason for it. If someone could let me know I would appreciate it.

Upvote 0
:p OK I've finally got the gps to work every time all apps in under a minute lock - I have been testing all day and it works every time before reboot after reboot At&t Maps Google Indoors and Outdoors - you get the picture :p

Here are my settings:
do all the stuff that's been recommended Change to supl.google.com
Server Port: 7276
SUPL Secure Socket: Off

Operation Mode - Set to Network Provider <-- yes Network Provider
Hot Start GPS Plus: On
Dynamic: On
Accuracy:10
Use Skyhook: On

I really like this phone and returned my Iphone 4 and had my chest sticking out for a couple of days and simply melted when i learned of the GPS issues and thought of ALL the Sh_t Apple Sheep would talk - I ""KNOW" this is/could easily be the BEST phone on At&t so let's ALL Press Samsung to do the right thing - Until then I hope this helps.

Enjoy :D

Just tried your setting, it took 4 minutes for me to get a lock after boot and I keep loosing my fix... Reopening the gps was instant, now it's taking minutes... Much worse for me.... Going back to the original fix setting

Upvote 0
My question is this - where is this update the OP claimed? Anyways, my GPS wouldn't lock for almost two days straight so I was going to return it. Since I rooted it I unrooted and did a factory reset but when I got to the store the GPS was locking on just fine. Its still a little slow locking (10-20 seconds) but it's at least locking now.

Upvote 0
Hi. Current iphone 3g user here. I've been lurking on these forums for about a week now and I'm planning on upgrading to the captivate real soon. I recently went into the local att store and asked a sales rep about the gps issue. He proceeded to say that all the phones in stores have problems with getting gps lock inside buildings except for the iphone. I went on to mention that the issues seems to also take place in cars and his response was that it shouldn't unless you are riding in some oversized truck. Not really sure what he meant by that.

I asked him if a fix was coming out for this and he said he hasn't heard anything about it.

I don't know if this sales rep really knows or if he's just talking out of his backside, but he appeared to be confident in his answers. Regardless, the phone felt great in my hand and it ran smoothly. Can't wait to say goodbye to apple. :)

Upvote 0
The fact is that you have no idea whether or not JM2 is responsible for fixing your phone because some people claim that just simply doing a Factory Reset fixed their phones, which may or may not be true. Others claim that entering the information for the GPS placebo fix does the trick. Neither of those work for me so that indicates that either it was working for them all along possibly or that the issue is within software and depends on other factors.

You're saying that it fixed it for you, but I've already seen numerous posts that it doesn't fix it at all...... When you can explain to me what was changed in JM2 that fixed GPS for you then you actually have proof "without question" that it was the reason GPS is fixed.

You would be right if I hadn't factory reset at least 4 times before I loaded JM2. There is no placebo when something basically doesn't work at all and with one change it works perfectly. It's possible that it takes a specific series of events to trigger something but who knows.

Upvote 0
This is a very strange behavior for my phone. Before rooting I had major issues with gps lock. Would not lock for a damn. Did the root and now went outside to test gps just for the fun of it and it locked on with 8 sats in about a min or two. Now I am also getting locks in the house. I did nothing to my phone other then root it.

Go figure I don't know what is going on with this phone but I am happy now that I have gps working fine.

Upvote 0
This is a very strange behavior for my phone. Before rooting I had major issues with gps lock. Would not lock for a damn. Did the root and now went outside to test gps just for the fun of it and it locked on with 8 sats in about a min or two. Now I am also getting locks in the house. I did nothing to my phone other then root it.

Go figure I don't know what is going on with this phone but I am happy now that I have gps working fine.

I doubt it will stay like this, try it again later and see if you have the same results.

Upvote 0
01-img_01.gif
01-img_02.gif
01-img_03.gif
01-img_04.gif
01-img_05.gif
01-img_15.gif
01-img_07.gif
img01.gif

Dear Victor:
Samsung Mobile is aware that under certain conditions, the GPS on our U.S. Galaxy S devices may not be meeting performance expectations. We are diligently evaluating the situation and will provide an update as soon as possible.
For the latest information on what software is available, please check here for official updates. If you want to follow us on Twitter, you can find update status when available @samsungservice. For Facebook, we can be found as Samsung service.
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS System - Automated Response System. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]It's like having your very own personal Samsung Technician at your fingertips. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]We thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]Sincerely,
Technical Support [/FONT]

spacer.gif
01-spacer.gif
arrow_o.gif
The information was useful to me
01-spacer.gif
Satisfied54321Not Satisfied * Please do not reply back to this email message as this email address is used for
outbound messages only. * If you are not satisfied with the answer we provided, please click here * if you have a question on another product, click here 
icon_01.gif
Why did you say ATT should fix this when SAMSUNG knows about the fix see http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/133545-official-gps-fix-being-pushed-out.html
01-img_11.gif
01-img_13.gif
01-img_14.gif
01-img_161.gif

Upvote 0
01-img_01.gif
01-img_02.gif
01-img_03.gif
01-img_04.gif
01-img_05.gif
01-img_15.gif
01-img_07.gif
img01.gif

Dear Victor:
Samsung Mobile is aware that under certain conditions, the GPS on our U.S. Galaxy S devices may not be meeting performance expectations. We are diligently evaluating the situation and will provide an update as soon as possible.
For the latest information on what software is available, please check here for official updates. If you want to follow us on Twitter, you can find update status when available @samsungservice. For Facebook, we can be found as Samsung service.
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS System - Automated Response System. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]It's like having your very own personal Samsung Technician at your fingertips. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]We thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica]Sincerely,
Technical Support [/FONT]

spacer.gif
01-spacer.gif
arrow_o.gif
The information was useful to me
01-spacer.gif
Satisfied54321Not Satisfied * Please do not reply back to this email message as this email address is used for
outbound messages only. * If you are not satisfied with the answer we provided, please click here * if you have a question on another product, click here 
icon_01.gif
Why did you say ATT should fix this when SAMSUNG knows about the fix see http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/133545-official-gps-fix-being-pushed-out.html
01-img_11.gif
01-img_13.gif
01-img_14.gif
01-img_161.gif
So we wait ...tick...tock...tick...tock...

Upvote 0
So I just talked to AT&T Business. They had no answers and refused to help me because I don't use AT&T Nav. I explained that Google Nav was free. They didn't like that.

I have flaky locks in GPS Status, a WiFi/3G position lock in Maps and nothing in Google Nav. This is crazy...the phone doesn't work. I haven't called Samsung yet.

I think this may be the way to put leverage over AT&T to push out a fix as soon as possible. Once this issue starts affecting people who are paying them for a service that the phone is unable to deliver until the fix is pushed out, they will care and see to it it gets fixed, or have to refund a bunch of AT&T Navigate subscriptions. I don't have my student loans yet, but when I get a better picture of how my fall budget looks, I am probably going to try this... Money speaks louder than complaints in businesses, and if I could argue that I am seeing real (monetary) damages from AT&T not pushing out the update, they would certainly pay more attention.

Just a thought, but one that I think makes sense...

Upvote 0
NEW INFORMATION!!!

ALSO! Check out this page: http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html:
As pool.ntp.org will assign you timeservers from all over the world, time quality will not be ideal. You get a bit better result if you use the continental zones (For example europe, north-america, oceania or asia.pool.ntp.org), and even better time if you use the country zone (like ch.pool.ntp.org in Switzerland) - for all these zones, you can again use the 0, 1 or 2 prefixes, like 0.ch.pool.ntp.org. Note, however, that the country zone might not exist for your country, or might contain only one or two timeservers. If you know timeservers that are really close to you (measured by network distance, with traceroute or ping), time probably will be even better.

Find your optimal pool server here: pool.ntp.org: NTP Servers in North America, north-america.pool.ntp.org
For US the optimal server is: us.pool.ntp.org

Reference other threads I (http://ip208-100-42-21.static.xda-de...d.php?t=731462) I recommend you do the following:

Use Root Explorer or some other method (I use Root Explorer as it has a built in Text Editor and automatically backs up the altered file.) to go to here:
system/etc/gps.conf
Use the text editor to alter the gps.conf file to this (if you are in the US):

NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_1=north-america.pool.ntp.org
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

If you are NOT in the US go to here: pool.ntp.org: How do I setup NTP to use the pool? and look at the links in the center of the page to navigate to the closest pool to your geographical location and use that pool for the top server entry.

REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Many are suggesting that we do NOT leave the Secure Socket ON. How will this effect data security with our devices? I don't understand how it could hurt us... But, there must be a reason for it. If someone could let me know I would appreciate it.

Anyone else confirm these settings? I need to make a few trips out of town this weekend, and really want to put the GPS to the test

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones