• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root One Stop Shopping for Fascinate Kernels

The 1200sv worked great today. I've had the phone unplugged since 6:30am and it's still at 50% 11 hours later with about:
1.5 hours of music playing.
1 hour of internet browsing and testing out the UI to see how stable it is.
5-10 minutes of calling.
Texting every 5 mins or so.

I'm gonna try to go the whole night out without bringing a charger to see how beast this kernel is :D
Just remember the test6/sv ones have sv throughout the steps not just the top on so keep that in mind. If your phone can pull off the uv that will always be preferable for the battery. Then again even the uv ones are only slightly uv at the top so again the real battery savings come from when the phone sleeps at 100Mhz during non use

Upvote 0
Oh so you're saying they'll naturally just run at 1.2ghz without it?

Yeah they will, 1200 max 100 min

Awesome, that might save on some battery lol :D
Precisely, without setcpu the cpu runs what setcpu would call conservative. If you truly want battery life the best course of action is to couple an undervolted kernel with an underclock. Seriously, you if set the max at 800Mhz this thing will live a substantial amount of time.

Thats the trick of course is how much spend versus battery life to go with. I often hear of people saying they dont need OC on the SF when I tell them Im at 1.2Ghz. But if they then say they are using undervolted kernel for battery I ask if they adjust the top speed down to 800Mhz which has an even lower voltage setting than 1Ghz, but almost no one does this. So its like they dont need the extra 200Mhz of an OC but take 200Mhz away and all of a sudden its not fast enough or something :thinking:

In the end its about choices, I like running 1200 myself and would run 1300 if it were stable. Equally true if for some ungodly reason I was stranded from a charger I'd know to intentionally set the phone to 800 and for many operations there would not be a substantial difference. 400Mhz is where you start to notice the clunky lag and 200Mhz this phone is a slideshow but still functions quite frankly

Upvote 0
So I've read this many times, and can pass the competency test :) , as well as the voodoo thread on xda. I have been very happy with .7 super clean rom & super fast 1.54 as batty life is excellent. My main complaint is I am a heavy emailer, use touchdown since work is an exchange shop, and touchdown does have some significant lag opening most of the time. Do you folks think voodoo would help this? If so, from what I've read thus far I should be able to wipe cache and load the voodoo kernel of my choice and that will also install the voodoo/red cwm-correct?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
So I've read this many times, and can pass the competency test :) , as well as the voodoo thread on xda. I have been very happy with .7 super clean rom & super fast 1.54 as batty life is excellent. My main complaint is I am a heavy emailer, use touchdown since work is an exchange shop, and touchdown does have some significant lag opening most of the time. Do you folks think voodoo would help this? If so, from what I've read thus far I should be able to wipe cache and load the voodoo kernel of my choice and that will also install the voodoo/red cwm-correct?
Thanks!
Yes in your case voodoo will help your responsiveness during these heavy email sessions. And yes any of the voodoo linked in post one will give you the red cwm. Not a bad idea to start low and start working your way up the OC ladder. So you might even consider just using a 1Ghz kernel, although you should be fine with a minor OC like 1.1Ghz SV. Thats where I'd start frankly 1.1Ghz test6 the SV one, then 1.2Ghz SV then try the UV at 1.2Ghz. Very few are 100% stable with any version of 1.3Ghz but eventually try it. Rest assured 1.2Ghz is still very decent on this phone with a nice UV as well

Reactions: Tooch01
Upvote 0
Yes in your case voodoo will help your responsiveness during these heavy email sessions. And yes any of the voodoo linked in post one will give you the red cwm. Not a bad idea to start low and start working your way up the OC ladder. So you might even consider just using a 1Ghz kernel, although you should be fine with a minor OC like 1.1Ghz SV. Thats where I'd start frankly 1.1Ghz test6 the SV one, then 1.2Ghz SV then try the UV at 1.2Ghz. Very few are 100% stable with any version of 1.3Ghz but eventually try it. Rest assured 1.2Ghz is still very decent on this phone with a nice UV as well

Thanks! I'll give it a try later this week when I have some time and I'll let ya know.

Upvote 0
Just made the jump to voodoo and am loving it. All the little lag problems i had are pretty much gone. I went with the sv1100 and that ran very smoothly. This morning i flashed uv1100 and we'll see how it goes!
thanks!
Yeah the only way to find the best kernel for your phone is to try them out. I havent seen an SF that wasnt stable on one of the two 1100's. 90% of us are stable with one of the 1200's as well. 1300's a few and far between.

Its not OC voodoo but Im currently running some ultra low volted goodness from imnuts -150mv at all levels. On top of that I capped the max at 800 to further increase the battery life. I suppose Im just bored and this is something to do :p

Upvote 0
Hey saps is the timer about to go off on the oven? I'm getting hungry ;)
Gingerbread_Android.jpg

IRC rumor [probably not true] that Bird has an Alpha build ready :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
IRC rumor [probably not true] that Bird has an Alpha build ready :rolleyes:

when bird was in this morning he thought he had an idea about how to make the kernel boot android...but wasnt sure if he had to actually physically open up a fascinate to see something...then he said he had an idea around that...and kinda disappeared

afaik he has no build booting

exact quote "oh wait, i haz a plan" and then poof he was off

Upvote 0
when bird was in this morning he thought he had an idea about how to make the kernel boot android...but wasnt sure if he had to actually physically open up a fascinate to see something...then he said he had an idea around that...and kinda disappeared

afaik he has no build booting

exact quote "oh wait, i haz a plan" and then poof he was off
Yeah someone said he tweeted about Gb but I guess that was false surprise surprise

Upvote 0
Report back back when you jump into the pool. For better or worse there will always be a bit of trial and error

I'm in the pool and lovin' it. Just loaded the ul 1100 and speed is significantly better. I will try it for a day or so and then move on to the others. Couple of questions..
-I recall reading that I should now access cam via powering off and holding down volume keys versus rom manager. Can I use the reboot recovery option from the power down menu?
-is it safe to use the red cam menu to flash other non kernel zip files or do I need to use the green menu.
-how do I get to the green cam menu if needed? I assume apply update.zip from the red similar to the blue prior to going voodoo.

Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to screw it up now that I jumped in the pool.
Thanks!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones