OTA update are supposed to be free and are not deducted from your actual data usage, but...

Last Updated:

1. Miss Roxy

Miss Roxy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

PSA: AT&T doesn't charge you for OTA firmware updates -- Engadget Mobile

[​IMG]
    So it says that they wont charge us for downloading OTA update, but... my log says otherwise. ( the 13k kb ones are the OTA update download btw )

[​IMG]

How come it ate up my data usage?
    I previously had approximately 85-89mb of data usage for the month, but after attempting to download the OTA update quite a few times ( I was frustrated since it keeps telling me that update failed ), it showed up on my data usage log. Now AT&T tells me that I've used 159mb/200mb so far, and I even got a text this morning saying I've used 65% of my data usage for the month. ( I'm on the 200mb data plan )

What the heck is going on??? what if there's an OTA update in the future that are three digit long. If I go over my limit, I would have to pay extra $15.00 for another 200mb of data. @_@

Advertisement
  2. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

How do you explicitly know the extra usage was from the download of the OTA update? The update downloads on a different APN.

3. Miss Roxy

Well, I remember I downloaded the updates on the times shown on that log. Plus, they are all about the same size.

4. pinbak

pinbak Well-Known Member

Mine are the same from trying to download the update yesterday about 10-15 times by upping my clock. I went from almost 200mb to now close to 425mb, just checked it and i got alot of 13000kb throughout the day too!! LOL!!!!! But I am on day 10 or 11 of my billing cycle so I might get close to 2gb this time, maybe! :D

5. powerdomino

powerdomino New Member

I am new Samsung Captivate on AT&T user. Recently on Sept 22, 2010, AT&T pushed some update on my phone. When update was pushed I was connected to WIFI. When this update was pushed, it ate data usage from my data plan even though I was connected to Wifi. In my opinion it is wrong policy. If this was a system update it should not eat my data usage. I know that it used my data usage for fact that Sept 22 was first day of my billing cycle and whole day I didn't connected to internet or used any application that use data. After the update 20MB data usage just gone.
    I am on lowest data plan (200MB), and suppose if I already used 190MB from my data, this update may lead to over usage. I contacted AT&T customer service and they said it is their policy that such kind of update will use your data. Is this normal with other carriers as well?

6. NJR

NJR Well-Known Member

"This over the air update is zero rated. Customers will not incur data charges when downloading the update"

7. NapaValleyWino

NapaValleyWino Member

Just got off the phone with att rep. both my wife and I have the captivate and both phones ate up 13573KB to download file. Rep said she would forward it on and YES OTA is not suppose to be billed!!!

8. NapaValleyWino

NapaValleyWino Member

Forgot...both were WiFi connected in our home

9. powerdomino

powerdomino New Member

Same here I was connected to Wifi. AT&T reps are so dumb. I called AT&T regarding this and he says as per AT&T policy, OTA updates are charged. He also suggested that if I am concerned about AT&T charging OTA updates then either I should upgrade to 2GB plan or don't use smartphone at all.

10. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

I wish one of the reps would tell me that in person. I'm on an unlimited plan but still.

Edit: Just saw this
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/24/[B]verizon-ceo-confirms-plans-for-tiered-data-pricing[/B]/

11. bmoliver

bmoliver Well-Known Member

I had 16.7 MB show up on my account at the time of the "free" OTA update So it seems that AT&T does charge!

12. NapaValleyWino

NapaValleyWino Member

Rep is incorrect. the rep I spoke with said it was not suppose to charge when OTA

13. Miss Roxy

I called AT&T 10 minutes ago.
    And the rep says that OTA updates aren't supposed to be free and that the charges was correct on my data log. I told her she was misinformed and asked for a supervisor. The supervisor also said the same ( that it was not supposed to be free ) but I insisted that it was. ( Gosh I hate women abt how they're much more less knowledgeable about this stuff compared to male reps ). She gave up in the end and gave me $15 credit. :p