• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTA update beginning 7/16

are there actually people in south dakota? i thought it was just wild animals, dust, and tornadoes. i'll be damned! :D

I think you may be forgetting something reasonably famous from there.

rushmore.jpg

**FYI** They don't get reception either.

Upvote 0
I think you may be forgetting something reasonably famous from there.

rushmore.jpg

**FYI** They don't get reception either.
That's a surprisingly accurate statement. Whenever I go out to the Black Hills, cellular reception is surprisingly absent. Even Verizon's coverage tends to not be very good. Actually, I had better coverage with my old GSM provider than I did with Verizon out there.

The GSM one would get signal sometimes where Verizon phones had a really hard time getting a signal.

Upvote 0
Heading to Mount Rushmore area for vacation later this week (from West Texas). Since we plan on staying about a week there in our RV, I hope I can get some decent coverage. I don't use my phone a lot, but the thought of no phone or internet for a week is scary. lol.

I'm assuming you will be staying in Rapid City, and not say Keystone or other towns in the Hills. In Rapid City, you will be just fine. Driving through the Hills you might not have service all of the time. Enjoy your vacation!!

Upvote 0
Heading to Mount Rushmore area for vacation later this week (from West Texas). Since we plan on staying about a week there in our RV, I hope I can get some decent coverage. I don't use my phone a lot, but the thought of no phone or internet for a week is scary. lol.
You know what's really strange? Somewhere between Pierre and Rapid City on the Interstate, there are NO radio stations for about 30 minutes to an hour. And in some areas they only get one or two stations (I think a country station and a talk radio station). So make sure you bring some music to listen to on the way there.

Upvote 0
HTC's Update Change Log will not say something like "Fix for Silent call Issue". That would be suicide for them.

Instead they put "Improved Audio"

I'm sure they mean that they are addressing what we think they are addressing, but they will never admit it was even an issue to begin with. Catch my drift?

Guess we will have to wait for this update to roll out and see if, in fact, the "Improved audio" fixes most peoples problems with making and receiving so called "Silent Calls" ;)

I think it's really sad that no company today is willing to admit fault at all, for any reason whatsoever. Honestly, people wouldnt be so pissed off and wanna sue if companies said "Hey, we made a mistake and we're sorry. Here's some compensation for you"

Look at the iphone 4... Apple denied and denied there was any issue with the phone, then they blamed it on the case, then the OS itself... Honestly guys, either way its your fault. Problem is, they knew about it before it went on sale, and that really COULD get them into a lot of trouble... They should cut the lawsuit off at the pass and say "all iphone 4 users, hold tight, we'll have replacements for you soon, manufacture a bunch of replacements that resolve the issue (if possible), swap the phones for free, then refurb the bad ones and sell them/use them for insurance/warrentee replacements. Surely, at some point, they'll have spent less on repairing the phones than spending money on media coverups and lawsuits...

All these companies out there are so REactive.... No one is willing to be PROactive. And it's probably costing them MORE money and MORE reputation loss by doing so... Amazing.

Upvote 0
I think it's really sad that no company today is willing to admit fault at all, for any reason whatsoever. Honestly, people wouldnt be so pissed off and wanna sue if companies said "Hey, we made a mistake and we're sorry. Here's some compensation for you"

Look at the iphone 4... Apple denied and denied there was any issue with the phone, then they blamed it on the case, then the OS itself... Honestly guys, either way its your fault. Problem is, they knew about it before it went on sale, and that really COULD get them into a lot of trouble... They should cut the lawsuit off at the pass and say "all iphone 4 users, hold tight, we'll have replacements for you soon, manufacture a bunch of replacements that resolve the issue (if possible), swap the phones for free, then refurb the bad ones and sell them/use them for insurance/warrentee replacements. Surely, at some point, they'll have spent less on repairing the phones than spending money on media coverups and lawsuits...

All these companies out there are so REactive.... No one is willing to be PROactive. And it's probably costing them MORE money and MORE reputation loss by doing so... Amazing.
I don't get it either. But that's just the way the business world works.

Upvote 0
don't you know about verizon's deal with customers? If you go through 5 phones with problems that you didn't cause all before the first year they will let you switch phones and you can choose whatever phone you want even if its more expensive then you just pay the difference. I did this with one of my past phones and switched to a blackberry pearl and that was only after 4 phones. I kinda cheated that system though because i had the LG scoop and i found a problem with the software that all of these phones had but it was a serious problem. Get to know the sales person or the managers if you do you will get very good treatment and almost own the store. I have had a new phone every year without paying extra because we know the managers and they like it when we spend money there.

Upvote 0
don't you know about verizon's deal with customers? If you go through 5 phones with problems that you didn't cause all before the first year they will let you switch phones and you can choose whatever phone you want even if its more expensive then you just pay the difference. I did this with one of my past phones and switched to a blackberry pearl and that was only after 4 phones. I kinda cheated that system though because i had the LG scoop and i found a problem with the software that all of these phones had but it was a serious problem. Get to know the sales person or the managers if you do you will get very good treatment and almost own the store. I have had a new phone every year without paying extra because we know the managers and they like it when we spend money there.

it could take 5 calls. depends on which rep you get. i did this in the past too.

Upvote 0
Am I only one of a very small part of Eris owners that have has absolutely no problems with my Eris from the day I got it? I wish it was a little faster than what is currently is but for the most part i can live with it until I am ready for another upgrade which is 16 months away. Hopefully this up & coming patch will fix everyones problems such as the dreaded silent call bug and etc... The only thing I am concerned about is this latest patch somehow does the exact opposite to my phone and turns it into a glitchy monster like others have been experiencing for longer than they wish to recall. Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my phones and sacrificing a few kittens & penguins to the cell phone gods for everyone else in hopes that this will be the cure for this chronic update called 2.1.

Reactions: manderle
Upvote 0
Am I only one of a very small part of Eris owners that have has absolutely no problems with my Eris from the day I got it? I wish it was a little faster than what is currently is but for the most part i can live with it until I am ready for another upgrade which is 16 months away. Hopefully this up & coming patch will fix everyones problems such as the dreaded silent call bug and etc... The only thing I am concerned about is this latest patch somehow does the exact opposite to my phone and turns it into a glitchy monster like others have been experiencing for longer than they wish to recall. Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my phones and sacrificing a few kittens & penguins to the cell phone gods for everyone else in hopes that this will be the cure for this chronic update called 2.1.

In general, I have had your experience with my Eris. However, the dreaded silent bug -- and its more-frequent-of-late occurrences -- have been unacceptable. I have tried it all to mitigate the silent bug -- reflashed the RUU, factory resets (several), minimal app installs (just Maps, Finance) -- and still the bug persists.

I did root last night (first time) with the new "easy" method for leakers -- worked like a charm.

I have considered reflashing the RUU so I would receive the new (july 16) OTA fixes -- and then rooting again should I have another failed stock 2.1 experience.

Upvote 0

You're not the only one. I'm running stock 2.1 and mine performs beautifully. No silent call issues, no keyboard lag, no dialer lag. Yes, I wish it were faster sometimes. And I wish I had more room for apps. But otherwise, it does what I need and more, and it's been reliable.

After six months with this phone, I still love to play with it and I still enjoy showing my iFriends what I can do with Android that they can't.

I, too, am hoping my luck holds when the next update is released.

Upvote 0
I also haven't had much trouble with my Eris. Got it just before Christmas and I tweaked and fiddled with it a goodly amount in the early days but now I only use it for a few tasks.

1. Phone
2. Gmail & calendar
3. Exchange mail (Touchdown)
4. Minor web surfing.
5. Google navigation.

And a handful of other minor applications. No task killing, no installing/uninstalling applications, no text messaging. I think I've used the camera once.

I have a feeling that some of the problems with the Eris would go away if fans quit fiddling with it.

I need mine to be dependable so I try to do only important things with it. I could be wrong but I think a goodly amount of instability comes from all of the silly applications people load onto the Eris. And yes, in a perfect world the Eris should be able to handle imperfect applications but the last time I looked, the world was still imperfect.

Upvote 0
I also haven't had much trouble with my Eris. Got it just before Christmas and I tweaked and fiddled with it a goodly amount in the early days but now I only use it for a few tasks.

1. Phone
2. Gmail & calendar
3. Exchange mail (Touchdown)
4. Minor web surfing.
5. Google navigation.

And a handful of other minor applications. No task killing, no installing/uninstalling applications, no text messaging. I think I've used the camera once.

I have a feeling that some of the problems with the Eris would go away if fans quit fiddling with it.

I need mine to be dependable so I try to do only important things with it. I could be wrong but I think a goodly amount of instability comes from all of the silly applications people load onto the Eris. And yes, in a perfect world the Eris should be able to handle imperfect applications but the last time I looked, the world was still imperfect.

i've been saying this for a while..i'm one them and i know it. had a lot of apps that had the same features as others and stuff. cleaned things up and put on only what i needed and things got better. no problems..i still rooted and overclocked to 787MHz and its smokin fast. the overclocking just helps that much more. but i totally agree with you

Upvote 0
I have talked to 4 diff verizon reps over the past 2 days and none are aware of the 0716 update, atleast aren't saying so. I am on my 4th eris, my "refurb" incredible is on the way, will be here Friday, a lot better than having to wait a month!!!! Crazy how VZW works, you never know. I had a rep tell me to try and call back b/c diff supervisors and techs will auth certain things, it took 4 calls, but done!!

Upvote 0
On eris #3, all 3 new not refurb. I was told about the update on the 16th from the verizon store when I was getting my newest eris. Tech support was plain in that no one knows why this problem is happening so how can they fix it. This is a pathetic attempt to calm the masses who have been dealing with sub par service and phones that, well, dont act as phones should.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones