otacerts.zip.bak will drain battery life?

Last Updated: 2010-04-16 03:20:22
  1. BigMace23

BigMace23 Well-Known Member

Just saw this post on droidmod.org

I thought I would post some clarification about the 2.1 OTA update, since there is a shockingly large amount of misinformation being spread throughout the community. If you are running DroidMod, you should accept the 2.1 update. The phone will reboot in to recovery, and SPRecovery will block the update outright. Even if you are not running SPRecovery, there

Advertisement
    shrink57 likes this.
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

3. -=Jeff=-

-=Jeff=- Well-Known Member

This is just for Droidmod?

my battery seems fine with a remix of BB and Fabolous...

no issues today anyway
  4. BigMace23

Yea I might have to rename that file back to otacerts.zip and just accept it when I get it I guess. I'm interested to see if this can be confirmed, because I would think the official update would overwrite some but not all files and cause problems.
  5. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

6. Sportster

Sportster Well-Known Member

Running Droidmod and was getting the ota update constantly. Read that on the dm site, accepted the update, and no more bothersome update notifications.
  7. Redflea

You mean the notification was appearing repeatedly, not that the download was occurring repeatedly, right?
  8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I think it is more like your phone will keep checking for the update or something to that effect. But yea it will drain your battery.
  9. BigMace23

So no matter what ROM you are on, just accept the update and you are good to go?
  10. bose301s

bose301s Well-Known Member

Incorrect, the update actually downloads itself to your SD Card before it notifies you of an available update, once it is on the card it notifies you and you can apply it.
  11. Redflea

Thanks...

I'm on Koush's cyanogenmod ROM 5.0.5.7, and it does include otacerts.zip (in system>etc>security). Have to check in his forums to see if there's been any discussion on this issue w/his ROMs.

I've never seen any update prompts for 2.1 or 2.01 (was likely on Bugless Beast back when 2.01 was being released).
  12. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

No you weren't. We didn't root the Droid until the day 2.0.1 was released OTA and Bugless Beast followed maybe 3 weeks to a month after.
  13. unobtrusivetones

unobtrusivetones Well-Known Member

If the update gets downloaded to the SD card first, couldn't we just remove the update from the SD card? The notifications should then dissappear once removed from the SD card wouldn't it? Just a guess
  14. Rons

Rons Well-Known Member

okai im on BB0.9.
    No update notifications but the update is there waiting for me to download ( under System Updates ).
    So just download it and I'll be fine?
  15. Redflea

Had to laugh (at myself!) after seeing your post...DUH!! :)

That's right, of course...I applied the 2.01 update manually as soon as it was posted after the 2.01 OTA started. Boy, time flies, that seems like years ago now...
  16. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Did you ever find anything? Cause there is no Settings>About>System Update option anymore, apparently Cyanogen or Koush removed it.
  17. Redflea

Nope...kind of forgot about this. I have the otacerts.zip file on my Droid, so I'm assuming that will avoid any of the issues related to it not being there, or being renamed.
  18. mrempp

mrempp Active Member

I haven't got a notification that a update is available, but if i go into settings and check for updates it is there ready to download. Yesterday i went from bb 0.7 with stock kernel to bb 0.9 with adamz LV 800 mhz kernel. today my battery drained way to fast. The first time i took it out of my pocket was 5 hours after i unplugged it and it was at 70%. I used it for maybe 20 to 30 minutes at work surfing the web and it was at 40% when i got home. But when i used it to listen to pandora for an hour after work the battery might have went down 10%. Maybe it was constantly trying to download the file when the phone was idle.
  19. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

where are the setting to download the update
  20. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I've noticed significantly worse battery life myself lately as well. Just checked and the update is there, but I'm never prompted to download it. (Running BB.9). Curious if there is any truth to what you're saying there? :confused:
  21. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

I've noticed VERY bad battery life with my Droid as well (Running BB.8). I have a feeling all Pete did was rename so its constantly draining out batteries. I guess I will be updating to Cygeno soon.
  22. joshi3joshi

joshi3joshi Active Member

i dont think its just BB, im running a desireremix rom and i checked and the update is there also. my battery life was really good about a week ago, and it seems ever since the update is ready for me to download, my battery life is draining really fast as well.

is there someone out there who can address this issue? do i just accept the download or what is the best way to proceed?
  23. code1321

code1321 Member

ive also noticed significant battery loss...im on cyanogenmod 5.0.5.7 so theres no option for it in About Phone but i searched for it and its on my sd card? is there something i can do to get rid of it? can i just delete it? id like the better battery life back...
  24. tobiasg

tobiasg Active Member

I think there is some confusion here - let me share my experience and see if it helps. I have been running DroidMod, was getting the prompt to update so found the instructions to rename the otacerts.zip, did that and updates stopped but battery life did seem to suffer. So I followed the instructions to reverse the renaming, accept the update and yes it does not actually update your phone, fails on reboot like it should. Everything is happy now. Hopefully somewhat helpful!
  25. joshi3joshi

joshi3joshi Active Member

i fixed the update problem so in my about phone it says "system is currently up to date" but my battery life is still worse than what it used to be. DARN i dont know what is sucking all my power away. i swear my personal usage of the phone has not changed one bit, but battery life has decreased a noticeable amount!