• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help PDANet Tethering for Wifi

rosered

Android Expert
Jul 4, 2010
UK
Having given it much thought I decided against rooting until the updates are out and XDA have sorted out a new 2.1 root for us which meant Barnacle was out for me at present so I have just installed PdaNet on my phone and netbook.

OMG I'm so over excited by it. I am typing this on my netbook using my phone. Yeah so I need to get a life, but I am in de-mob happy mode and the thought that I may be able to use my phone for wifi whilst away has really pleased me. It couldn't have been more simple. Download on my netbook, (had already downloaded it from market on my phone) and follow the on screen instructions.

Anyway it seems to be working pretty well, so just wondered if anyone had had any negative effect using it other than it maybe using up battery power and eating into my 3 gig of data for the month?

Are there any better alternatives that I have missed out there too, cos you know me I like a good app!

In excitement, I will leave you now and go do some more packing!

I rooted mine to use Barnacle for one major reason... no special program required on the client devices. I understand though that you can't use it because you don't want to root yet.

When/if you do root in the future, Barnacle adds this benefit which I feel is significant.

If you're not near a wifi hotspot and a friend needs access for something, they won't be able to download the client app. Might be handy to keep the installer for the PdaNet client program on the SDcard in your phone to help them out in that case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones