• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone Heating up

kristalsoldier

Android Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2011
Hi...

While technically this should go into the forum for the Samsung Galaxy Fit (GT 5670), but I thought this may be a more suitable place for my question. But mods, if you think fit, please move into the appropriate forum.

Also, I have checked some of the threads dealing with phones heating up but did not gain too much from them.

My question:

Usually, I turn on the Data connection on my phone, activate the Mobile AP for wireless tether to my A500 tab. On the phone I turn off auto-sync. I have been doing this for sometime now with no bad stories to tell...till today, that is.

I followed the same procedure today and everything worked fine for some time. However, at some point, I lost my data connection and reached into my pocket (I had put the phone in my jacket today) for the phone.

Two observations:
1. The phone was very hot
2. The phone seemed to have shut off and had restarted because it appeared to be on safe mode. First time I have seen a phone in "safe mode"!

I was very taken aback. So, I turned off the phone waited for a few minutes and turned it back on. Safe mode was off. No problems in establishing the data connection and tethering it to the tab.

But given that the phone had heated up to the extent that it did (it was hot!) I did not use the tether and data connection for a long time.

My phone is unrooted and is on GB 2.6.35.7 and the tab is in HC 3.2.1.

I know that the phone is a low-end device and I use it primarily for voice calls but essentially to establish a data connection and for the tethering.

What do you folks think? What caused this? If the cause is the phone, then could you please suggest alternatives (as I am in the market for a new phone anyways)?

Thanks in advance.

1. Heating up: its normal since you are using it as a hotspot. Using it as hotspot eats up enery(battery) quite fast. More energy used, more heat created.

2. It was in your pocket. Less ventilation, increase effects of heat.

3. Probably went into safe mode because of too much heat.

Really? That much? I did not know. First time the safe mode thing happened in all these days I have been using it - since last June, actually!

OK. Would you suggest any other phone which I could use and which may be better suited for performing these (what I consider) basic duties? I think being able to set up a micro-local hotspot of-the-fly is really very helpful. I would hate having to give that up.

Thanks for your clarifications.

Upvote 0
Nothing. Whatever phone you use would have heating up symptoms. I'm already using a Galaxy S which has better specs than your phone, at it would still heat up when being used a hotspot. The phone comes with an internal thermometer that stops the processes if temperature gets too much that it might get damaged. I would suggest that you either just buy an internet stick or to NOT keep the phone in your pocket when using it as a hotspot. Besides, using the phone as a hotspot would only last for like 2hrs or so then the battery is drained.

Upvote 0
Nothing. Whatever phone you use would have heating up symptoms. I'm already using a Galaxy S which has better specs than your phone, at it would still heat up when being used a hotspot. The phone comes with an internal thermometer that stops the processes if temperature gets too much that it might get damaged. I would suggest that you either just buy an internet stick or to NOT keep the phone in your pocket when using it as a hotspot. Besides, using the phone as a hotspot would only last for like 2hrs or so then the battery is drained.

Hmmm...that's bad news. I don't think I want one of those Photon sticks. Maybe I should get a tab that can also function as a phone (I have seen the Samsung Note, but it's too small).

Ideally, I would like a 9-10" tab with a phone and a 3G connection, which can be paired via headphone (I don't care if it is wired or not) for me to receive and make calls and send text messages. And, when I pack away the tab, it should continue to act as a phone - if you know what I mean.

Oh well...Thanks for your help though. I will monitor the heat generated within the phone from now on!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones