• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root re: re-rooting a ZTE Warp 4g n9510

reble

Android Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2012
Kennewick Wa
I had to dump my ZTE Warp 4g n9510 cell phone back to factory default because a hacker got into it (everything on the phone, games, contacts list and so on is backed up on on a windows cd-disk, before the hacker hit it. I learned that lesson the hard way). On the advice from Boost Mobile I did a "##786# then it asked for a MSL password. The phone is back to the way it was when I got it brand spanking new. I found the instructions for Framaroot at http://androidforums.com/threads/rooting-the-boostmobile-zte-warp-4g-lte-model-n9510.783379/ I followed the instructions and when I click on "Aragorn" or "Gandalf" I get the following error messages bellow.

Aragorn
Failed :-(...try another exploit if available (error #6)

Gandalf
Failed :-(...try another exploit if available (error #5)

What gives? I followed the instructions. What does the error numbers mean? I can't find any reference to error numbers 5 and 6. I can do a screen capture and past if need be. I must be doing something wrong or out of sequence. I could use some help please.

Steve

I think I know why Framaroot isn't working. I can't get into "developer options" to turn on the USB debugging mode. There is a YouTube video How to enable usb debugging that says how to do this. The video says to tap 10 times on the build button, click on this Dropbox link screen capture.jpg you can see the build button. Now click on my screen capture.jpg from my phone screen. There is no build button there. Why? There supposed to be the same phone. Buy the way before the last system software update. The developer options button was available.

Update I figured out the "developer options" problem on my own without any help. In this phone the build button is marked "sw version". But getting the "developer options" showing has not solved the Framaroot problem.

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The phone simply says "android version 4.4.2. How do I change the android version back to the older version? All my problems started after the last auto system update. And how do I stop the auto system update? There is no way that I can get ride of the update icon on the top left of the phone (when it shows up) without installing it.

Steve

Upvote 0
Honestly? I kept hitting Cancel when it tried to auto update on me (replaced my phone last WK due to my own mishap) (downloaded EVERYTHING needed first!) and immediately rooted w/Framaroot then used flashify to install the recovery then booted to recovery to install partition update and B12 Deodexed ROM - thanks to SuperR. Problem solved. If you are already on KK 4.4.2, SuperR posted a thread on how to achieve Root.. but Rooting while still on JB first is easiest...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I read the instructions. I am not sure I understand about the part "Flash SuperSU.zip like a normal ROM on your device". The last time (and 1st time I rooted this phone) I ran the script file and the script file did everything. I didn't have to worry flashing any rom's. Do I put the supersu.zip file on the sd card in the phone?

Steve
Yes, as the second line of the instructions say, "Download SuperSU.zip and put it on the sdcard of your device"

Upvote 0
I booted up the Imgburn that I put on the cd. the os booted up fine. I opened the terminal prog and tried to type in "cd /home/tux/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions" and I got "dir couldn't be found". I did 1 dir at a time and got as far as the "ZTE_Unbrick_Tool" dir. The terminal prog will not see the dir's partitions and devices. I found and was able to get into both dir's by using the folder icon on the taskbar to look at the dir's. I am assuming this is a Linux os that was burned to the cd? I am an advanced level windows tech. I have to admit to the fact that I am not very good at Linux anything.

Steve

Upvote 0
I booted up the Imgburn that I put on the cd. the os booted up fine. I opened the terminal prog and tried to type in "cd /home/tux/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions" and I got "dir couldn't be found". I did 1 dir at a time and got as far as the "ZTE_Unbrick_Tool" dir. The terminal prog will not see the dir's partitions and devices. I found and was able to get into both dir's by using the folder icon on the taskbar to look at the dir's. I am assuming this is a Linux os that was burned to the cd? I am an advanced level windows tech. I have to admit to the fact that I am not very good at Linux anything.

Steve
Yes, it is a Linux distro. You can open a terminal in the /home/tux/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions directory from the file manager. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but you can find it in the menu of the file manager somewhere. Once the terminal is open in the directory, continue with the instructions to get rooted.

Upvote 0
In the zte_unbrick_tool dir the shell script "zteunbrick" doesn't work. I start the script and the little circle goes around then stops and nothing happens. Also shell script's "tester_unbrick" and "warplit-unbrick" do the same thing. The little circle goes around and nothing happens. In the Sakura terminal prog the sub dir's "partitions" and "devices" are not seen by the Sakura terminal. What gives"

Steve

Upvote 0
In the zte_unbrick_tool dir the shell script "zteunbrick" doesn't work. I start the script and the little circle goes around then stops and nothing happens. Also shell script's "tester_unbrick" and "warplit-unbrick" do the same thing. The little circle goes around and nothing happens. In the Sakura terminal prog the sub dir's "partitions" and "devices" are not seen by the Sakura terminal. What gives"

Steve
I am not sure why you are trying to run scripts, that is not in the root instructions I posted :p

If you open the file manager to the /home/tux/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions directory, there is a way to open terminal in that directory somewhere in the menu of the file manager. Once you get that accomplished, continue with the root instructions starting after "cd /home/tux/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions".

Upvote 0
When I get to the partitions directory. The only thing in that directory is "warplte_mcblkop16_recovery.img" and that does nothing. There is no terminal prog that I can see in that directory to open, unless it is marked as a hidden file. The rest I was just exploring since it wasn't working the way it is supposed to anyways.

I am not sure why you are trying to run scripts, that is not in the root instructions I posted :p

If you open the file manager to the /home/tux/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions directory, there is a way to open terminal in that directory somewhere in the menu of the file manager. Once you get that accomplished, continue with the root instructions starting after "cd /home/tux/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions".

Upvote 0
When I get to the partitions directory. The only thing in that directory is "warplte_mcblkop16_recovery.img" and that does nothing. There is no terminal prog that I can see in that directory to open, unless it is marked as a hidden file. The rest I was just exploring since it wasn't working the way it is supposed to anyways.
I have revised the instructions to make it easier. Please follow them exactly from the beginning.

http://androidforums.com/threads/ro...xed-and-unmodified.878797/page-9#post-6796902

Upvote 0
I followed the new instructions to the letter. The following (bellow) was on the screen for about a half hour solid, just sitting that way doing nothing. And nothing was happening on the phone. The phone was plugged in.
------
TUX@slitaz:~/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions$ fast boot warplte_mmcblk0p16_recovery.img
<waiting for device>
------
I don't know if this is connected with the problem. But in the sub directory "connect to PC" in my phone the following line is missing "charge only: charge your phone via usb". See attached picture

Steve

I have revised the instructions to make it easier. Please follow them exactly from the beginning.

http://androidforums.com/threads/ro...xed-and-unmodified.878797/page-9#post-6796902

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-29-17-29-06.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-29-17-29-06.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
I followed the new instructions to the letter. The following (bellow) was on the screen for about a half hour solid, just sitting that way doing nothing. And nothing was happening on the phone. The phone was plugged in.
------
TUX@slitaz:~/ZTE_Unbrick_Tool/partitions$ fast boot warplte_mmcblk0p16_recovery.img
<waiting for device>
------
I don't know if this is connected with the problem. But in the sub directory "connect to PC" in my phone the following line is missing "charge only: charge your phone via usb". See attached picture

Steve
the command should be
Code:
fastboot boot warplte_mmcblk0p16_recovery.img

Upvote 0
I did the command just like you had it bellow "fastboot boot warplte_mmcblk0p16_recovery.img" and it still just sits there with the "<waiting for device>" on the screen. The phone does not reboot into PhilZ recovery mode. See the screen snap shot I attached of my phones desktop. That's the way the phone sits. What I understand from your instructions after I type "fastboot boot warplte_mmcblk0p16_recovery.img" then hit enter this prog is suppose to reboot the phone into recovery mode. The phone just sits like u see in the picture bellow. What gives? I must have a setting set wrong somewere.

my phone desktop.jpg
my phone desktop.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones