• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] Velocity V1.2 | LG Ally | Android 2.2.2 Froyo | Sexy | Sleek | Stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that problem but am having mms issues like not sending or receiving messages. Have tracked it down to LGDun restarting and not recovering. Usually happens after playing a game. Possible memory dump issue?

This happens to me all the time, not exactly sure what it is.

As for any market issues, i suggest getting the new version (3.2.0) that was leaked a while ago. Runs faster and have not any problems thus far.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1310875

Had to use root explorer to install.

Upvote 0
I've seen both those issues with version 1.1 of the ROM, as well as a refusal to enter Airplane Mode. In the latter, the Airplane Mode 'button' becomes grayed out after pressing it, but the Ally radio stays on, at least according to the notification bar icon. In all 3 cases, a reboot would fix the problem (until next time). But I have yet to see them in version 1.2.1 (knock knock).

Glad you worked around it. :)

My Velocity Toolkit has disappeared from the Settings menu too but rebooting isn't bringing it back. It's still showing up in Manage Applications, though, so it's resident.

It went away at some point after I'd changed a theme, but I can't say it was gone immediately thereafter. I really want the toolkit back. :(

Upvote 0
My Velocity Toolkit has disappeared from the Settings menu too but rebooting isn't bringing it back. It's still showing up in Manage Applications, though, so it's resident.

It went away at some point after I'd changed a theme, but I can't say it was gone immediately thereafter. I really want the toolkit back. :(

I recently discussed posting Titanium Backup Files for the Velocity 1.2 version Velocity Tool Kit, and he asked me to do so. Here is a zip file with 5 components I have from a recent Titanium Backup which are for the Toolkit. I have not tried doing this with the Toolkit files, but I DID succeed in recently restoring PowerAMP playlists from my Ally to my Droid X this way, so it should work.

Unzip the files and put them into your SD card's Titanium Backup folder (this presumes you have it installed and have already made a backup. If not, do so BEFORE you put these files there. )

Once the above conditions are met, you should be able to use the Restore tab in TIBU, deselecting ALL the apps listed in it, EXCEPT Velocity Toolkit. Then run the restore.

Please let me know how it goes so I can help others later with this information if it works OK.

Attachments

• Velocity Toolkit TIBU Files.zip
    86 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: Ramious
Upvote 0
Thank you for another awesome release. Really impressed with how well my Ally runs compared to how it started with Verizon's stock ROM. Also happy that I can overclock it to 768 MHz and still have decent battery life.

The only real issue I have found with 1.2.1 is the same one others have said about the calendar being blank. I looked back through the thread but didn't see anything different than what I've tried.

Here are the steps I've followed so far:

1. Full wipe and flashed Velocity 1.2.1 -> Calendar blank
  2. Flashed 1.2.1 patch -> Calendar still blank
  3. Full wipe (again, start from scratch) and flashed Velocity 1.2.1
    1. Rebooted phone after install completed because 1.2.1 patch would error out
    2. Boot back into Recovery, wiped user data, cache and Dalvik
    3. Flashed 1.2.1 patch

The calendar is still blank but it's not a big deal to me because I don't really use the calendar app. Just thought I should let you know. If there is any other patch or steps I need to try, let me know. More than happy to test anything out in order to make it work.

Upvote 0
Thank you for another awesome release. Really impressed with how well my Ally runs compared to how it started with Verizon's stock ROM. Also happy that I can overclock it to 768 MHz and still have decent battery life.

The only real issue I have found with 1.2.1 is the same one others have said about the calendar being blank. I looked back through the thread but didn't see anything different than what I've tried.

Here are the steps I've followed so far:

1. Full wipe and flashed Velocity 1.2.1 -> Calendar blank
  2. Flashed 1.2.1 patch -> Calendar still blank
  3. Full wipe (again, start from scratch) and flashed Velocity 1.2.1
    1. Rebooted phone after install completed because 1.2.1 patch would error out
    2. Boot back into Recovery, wiped user data, cache and Dalvik
    3. Flashed 1.2.1 patch
The calendar is still blank but it's not a big deal to me because I don't really use the calendar app. Just thought I should let you know. If there is any other patch or steps I need to try, let me know. More than happy to test anything out in order to make it work.

After reading your post , I openned up my Calander app and sure enough , Blank. Now I know when I flashed the Rom. I also flashed the Update.....(scratches head.....hmmmmmm) Urieka....I remembered , hey I have been playing around wth the themes. changing to this one and that one. So I booted back in to recovery , wiped cache and Dalvik, re-flashed the update and bamm. Calander app fully functioning. hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
I'm a little late to the game I see. But thank you devs for this fantastic ROM. Kudos to the whole team!

I find some of the quirks I had with 1.1 are gone. I had the infamous no-mms issue for a while. I love the theme included, though not a huge fan of ADW, I prefer Zeam. So I installed it.

Now, my question. I find certain widgets are not showing up as available to place on the home screen when I long-press. Facebook, Scoremobile, Audible to start. I tried moving FB app to sd card and back to phone and re-installing. I even tried flashing 1.2 & patch before I got too far installing apps to see if it helped. I'm sure it's me though, since everyone else has been using 1.2.1 for at least a month with no sign of this problem. I started with a freshly-formatted sd card too.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Well, after another wipe/flash 1.2.1/wipe/flash patch... my widgets seem to be working again. Whatevs.

So, if I read the above thread correctly, the only way to have the "old" White/Light GMail is to pay for Titanium Backup Pro to remove dark GMail, then install from Market? Is there no other way to remove dark Gmail? I don't see the option in free TB.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Running 1.2 on my retired ally and my wifi says it's connected, but it's totally NOT??:mad:

There are a couple things that could possibly cause this, but the very first thing you should try is disabling any wifi encryption you have set up. If that makes it work, then you can try re-enabling encryption. But certain router models will get flaky with certain wireless handheld devices when encryption is used. Sometimes you have to change they type of encryption you are using. I've been through this myself.

Another thing - if by chance you have the router's wifi set to use a MAC address filter, and you do not have the MAC address of your Ally in the list, it can show it is connected but not have access.

Hope this info helps. :)

Upvote 0
Just a quick shoutout to the Velocity Team:

Thank you so much for all you've done! Before I found Velocity, my phone was full of problems: from constant refrashing (reloading of the launcher and then crash, repeat) to short battery life, and even sometimes the screen wouldn't turn on. But with Velocity, it's all gone and my phone is faster, smarter, roomier, and more stable. So I give a big thanks to you guys, I'd be in torture over this phone if it wasn't for you guys. :)

Upvote 0
Just a quick shoutout to the Velocity Team:

Thank you so much for all you've done! Before I found Velocity, my phone was full of problems: from constant refrashing (reloading of the launcher and then crash, repeat) to short battery life, and even sometimes the screen wouldn't turn on. But with Velocity, it's all gone and my phone is faster, smarter, roomier, and more stable. So I give a big thanks to you guys, I'd be in torture over this phone if it wasn't for you guys. :)

Yea! What he said!!

Now..........

Would you like to port Velocity over to my Droid X? :D

Upvote 0
I've been having some problems since flashing 1.2. My volume keeps going up and down on its own and my phone reboots if my signal strength is low. When I put it on airplane mode the volume doesn't change on its own and my phone doesn't reboot ever. It's like my volume is tied to my signal strength. WTF is going on? I'm also getting a package file not signed correctly error when trying to download a gmail update from the market.

Upvote 0
I've been having some problems since flashing 1.2. My volume keeps going up and down on its own and my phone reboots if my signal strength is low. When I put it on airplane mode the volume doesn't change on its own and my phone doesn't reboot ever. It's like my volume is tied to my signal strength. WTF is going on? I'm also getting a package file not signed correctly error when trying to download a gmail update from the market.

I believe I've seen that last issue in here before, or else in the scripts thread for this ROM. Try searching for that issue. You may get lucky and fix all the problems with its solution.

Upvote 0
So I flashed this fantastic ROM probably a couple weeks ago, and I really wanted to thank the devs for all the hard work put into it. I also themed it with the ICS theme not too long ago, and it's lookin' pretty slick. I would donate if I weren't a poor, jobless college kid. =/

So, I just have one major issue and one question.

Issue: Just like Zoandroid, I have had airplane mode bug, in which airplane mode seems to get stuck halfway through its operation, and then can't be turned fully on or off. I have to use the power off option and power back on to get everything set again. I read through this thread, and I don't think I saw a solution. It's also worth mentioning that I did see this bug with my stock ROM every once in a while, but not that often.

Question: Is there a maximum safe overclock speed for the processor? I've done a lot of research, and there's always a couple people on either side of the overclocking debate - either it's too dangerous to even attempt or it's a perfectly safe way to get a bit of extra speed. I know that this processor is technically rated to be safe and (generally) stable at an overclock speed of 864MHz, but should I probably keep it below that?

Now that I think about it, I actually had two questions. This second one's related to the first one. Can someone give me a good explanation of how the smartass cpu governor works? I've read up on this in a couple places, but I don't entirely understand what the explanation means. Mostly what I get is that it automatically caps the cpu at the min frequency while the screen is off, and then it starts talking about idle loops and I get a tad confused.

Goodness, I'm long-winded. Thanks in advance to whomever answers my questions and gives me feedback.

Upvote 0
When processors are made, they are tested at the 'desired' clock speed. If they pass, they get sold as a CPU rated at that speed. If not, they are moved down "one bin" (bin as in storage container) and re-tested at the next lower speed, etc. So depending upon just how well the CPU was constructed, it 'can' potentially operate at its highest designed speed, or even higher when properly cooled. Unfortunately, we can't put water cooling systems in our phones, nor can we even provide better air circulation, so it is prudent not to get too carried away in the attempt.

However, I think I am justified in warning that "any" overclocking 'can' lead to problems down the road. Even a mild increase in clock speed creates more heat, and over prolonged operation it can cause parts of the processor circuit to get flaky or fail. I was able to OC my Ally higher when I first got into doing so several months ago and it ran well. But now, I have to keep the OC running a couple notches slower, or it will kernel panic, or simply reboot itself. I think overclocking it slightly damaged my Ally's CPU and it is now more easily affected by the added heat. Your mileage may vary, as they say. But I would keep things reasonable if you intend to use the Ally for a long time to come.

I know there is a link somewhere to a nice web site that explains the different types of CPU governors, but at the moment I don't have the time to dig for it. IIRC, Smartass (the name doesn't mean anything) is sort of a middle of the road compromise between conservative and performance minded governor action.

FWIW, I have not seen the issue of Airplane Mode getting stuck since I switched to a Droid X, no matter whether it was running Froyo, Gingerbread, or a custom CM7 ROM. So whatever is causing that issue has to be tied somehow to the Ally itself.

Reactions: Pieareround
Upvote 0
I'm gonna invent a water-cooling system for cell phones. =D

Thanks for the quick reply, though, and the good info. I started off pretty conservative with the OC, vowing only ever to take it to about 806MHz, but I got curious. I set the thing up to 864MHz for a few minutes and got into some heavy usage for the Ally. A couple levels of Angry Birds and several videos. Needless to say, it was pretty exciting. I mean, this little thing zipped, and not a hangup to speak of (not even when ads popped up on Angry Birds). Interestingly, it heated up about as fast as when I use it at 806MHz, and even seemed to heat up a tad slower, although that's probably just optimism speaking. So what would you consider a "reasonable level" for this particular processor? I definitely want to OC it... after all, I've just experienced it at its peak performance, and I'd like to not lose too much of that experience. The way that I use it, the screen is generally off more than not anyway, but I'd like it to move quickly when I am using it.

I feel like I might have seen the website you're talking about, but I didn't understand its explanation fully.

I guess I'll just not use airplane mode. I generally only use it when I'm trying to "fix" the so-called 50% bug, although I'm not even entirely sure it's anything more than a reporting error of some sort. I do know for sure that the airplane mode fix gets my cell standby to apparently stop drawing inordinate percentages of my battery life.

One last question. This is more of a general Android issue, from what I can tell, but I'm curious to find out if anyone knows more about it than me (or Google, apparently). Have you heard anything about, or experienced, an issue wherein the SD card randomly unmounts for no apparent reason, occasionally causing soft reboots? It happened to me on my stock ROM, has happened to me since flashing Velocity, and is definitely not isolated to the Ally, but apparently cropped up on this phone either more or earlier than some others.

Upvote 0
What's reasonable would differ in the eyes of the beholder. Since mine never made it past 768 mhz you're already beyond what I would do. I was able to maintain 748 playing Angry Birds, and after that got old I did run at 768 for a few months. But now it can't handle either of those speeds anymore without frequent spontaneous reboots. Draw your own conclusions. :)

I don't recall ever seeing this topic in the Ally thread, but you might find what I recently discussed over in the Droid X thread about battery calibration of use if you feel your battery is discharging too quickly. The gist of the topic is there is an app which can retrain the reported battery state of charge to make it more accurately show what the battery is really doing.

I find your incident of dismounted SD card very interesting, because mine did that several times throughout my usage of the Ally and across 3 different cards. The Ally seems to have been designed with poor quality connectors, both SD + USB. I had repeated problems with both of them. It was that which prompted me to start making weekly nandroids and complete backups of the SD card to my PC. Usually the SD could be remounted under a pulled battery state without file damage. But it depended on whether the Ally was actually writing to it when the connection was lost.

Reactions: Pieareround
Upvote 0
So is the major problem extra heat output, or do I need to worry about over-stressing the components too? I can say without a doubt that my Ally gets hot quickly when it's under heavy use, no matter what the clock speed. It just gets hot quickly while also performing better at higher frequencies. I never let the thing get much above 40

Upvote 0
Woah. I just encountered a couple crazy glitches. I was in the middle of switching to a new SD card, using backups of my apps made with the free appmonster, when my phone just completely froze up. I could press a hardware button to initiate an action, but the touch screen was then completely unresponsive. I had to pull the battery. I figured at the time it had something to do with appmonster messing up, so I uninstalled it. I also set my cpu back down to 600MHz, just to be safe (it was running at 806 when the freeze occurred).

About an hour later, I opened up the keyboard to type out a text. It just froze up in the middle of typing. To be fair, I saw this once or twice while still running stock, unrooted. At any rate, I had to reboot it. Luckily, both the hardware buttons on the front and the touch screen were still responsive. Once rebooted, I tried sending a couple sms, but they got stuck on sending indefinitely. I powered off, powered back on, and both had been sent. I tried another (this one to myself) and it was both sent and received properly.

So I guess my question is, does this sound like it's related to my 806Mhz overclock or another issue?

EDIT: I went ahead and restored a Nandroid I had (conveniently) made last night. The hardware buttons on my phone are more responsive and I'm generally not having problems since. I'm still gonna leave it at 600MHz, at least for a while. Ya know, just to be safe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones