• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Vibrant *BUGS*

Just factory reset the phone, you'll be fine. Hold volume up + volume down + power on button until the screen turns on. Then take your finger off the power button but hold the volume buttons until the recovery screen comes on.

I don't know if this is just me or whatever, but if I ever buy a used electronic device I always reset it to factory settings.

Upvote 0
I just bought a Vibrant from a 3rd party today. No contract extension. No SD card, no accessories.

The phone started acting up about 2 hours after I got it. Random reboots, and some freezing. I went about my business as normal, installing apps and using the phone

A few hours later I read that a factory reset might help with the rebooting.

If anything, the rebooting has gotten worse.

I have had the phone less than 20 hours and its rebooted itself about 10 times already.

What is going on?

Did you check it for water damage? It sounds to me like the person who sold it to you got an insurance replacement or something, since that's how they come. No accessories, no sdcard etc.

Something certainly seems wrong, have you thought about asking the seller for a refund and looking for another?

Upvote 0
Did a factory reset. Doesn't seem to have helped. The phone still freezes. I called the seller and he said that his Vibrant also lags.

From the conversation with the seller, it sounds to me like he has a source inside T-mobile selling him phones for cheap. I guess its possible that its a refurb unit.

What are my chances of getting Samsung to replace this defective model?

The phone never freezes when its idling, only at odd times when it is being used. My guess would be some faulty RAM sectors. I am still able to use the power button to turn the phone off after it freezes.

Upvote 0
Did a factory reset. Doesn't seem to have helped. The phone still freezes. I called the seller and he said that his Vibrant also lags.

From the conversation with the seller, it sounds to me like he has a source inside T-mobile selling him phones for cheap. I guess its possible that its a refurb unit.

What are my chances of getting Samsung to replace this defective model?

The phone never freezes when its idling, only at odd times when it is being used. My guess would be some faulty RAM sectors. I am still able to use the power button to turn the phone off after it freezes.

You could call up Samsung and ask. I would say if they are willing to offer you a replacement under the 1 year manufactures warranty they'll want you to send the defective unit back before they ship you a new one.

I've never experienced the lag some folks have complained about, I saw a slight stutter very rarely but that was eliminated with the "lag fix". Sounds kinda like he's blowing you off to me because there's a big difference between "lag" and freezing.

Upvote 0
You could call up Samsung and ask. I would say if they are willing to offer you a replacement under the 1 year manufactures warranty they'll want you to send the defective unit back before they ship you a new one.

I've never experienced the lag some folks have complained about, I saw a slight stutter very rarely but that was eliminated with the "lag fix". Sounds kinda like he's blowing you off to me because there's a big difference between "lag" and freezing.
Dude he can't. He bought it from a third party, he didn't buy it from a store.

You might have to download ODIN and flash the true stock rom back onto the phone. Factory reset doesn't truly reset the phone to its birth state.

Upvote 0
Dude he can't. He bought it from a third party, he didn't buy it from a store.

That shouldn't invalidate the manufactures warranty of one year against defects.

Check this out : Warranty Information SAMSUNG

I'll highlight the good part: "The warranty period applies from the date of purchase by the first customer and is transferable only between end-users. "

I read that as The warranty starts when it is bought the first time and will transfer between actual users. If it did not it would say it is "non-transferrable".

Call up Samsung, the worst that could happen is they tell you no.. I personally would point them to that page if they told me no tho and see what they say then. ;)

Upvote 0
I just bought a Vibrant from a 3rd party today. No contract extension. No SD card, no accessories.

The phone started acting up about 2 hours after I got it. Random reboots, and some freezing. I went about my business as normal, installing apps and using the phone

I have had the phone less than 20 hours and its rebooted itself about 10 times already.

What is going on?

Mine has done that since day 1, right out of the box from T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
A few updates.

I went to a T-mobile store close to my house and told them that my phone was acting up. They said that they would have no problem accepting and replacing the phone *if I could produce the box and accessories that came with it*.

I called the guy I bought my phone from. I had told him about the problems and he said that he wasn't sure what was going on. The seller didn't want to refund my money, and he didn't have a box (or any other accessories) to give me that would allow me to get my replacement from T-mobile.

Eventually (after a lot of texting back and forth) he agreed to loan me his Samsung Vibrant while he worked on fixing the one he sold to me.

I have the loaner right now. No problems so far, but I haven't played with it much.
I hope that he can get it fixed.

Also, the T-mobile guy said that his original Vibrant (the one they gave him during his training) did the same thing (freeze/reboot) and that they just replaced it without saying what was wrong.

Upvote 0
I think this might be a little glitch or maybe this is just how the phone is...

I've noticed that I cannot set the middle page (when using 3 screens) as my home screen. The phone just sets page three as the home (instead of page 2).

I haven't found a way to set the middle page as the home page (when using less than 6 screens) hmmmm...

Upvote 0
Hi I was using adv task manager...and was having all kinds of weird little lock ups...kernal error screens "not kernal panic user error"

then one time task manager took a crap it put a black icon with text in it where the task manager icon shoud've been "problem with widget icon"

and a small box down in the lower left "safe mode"

I have read that no one recommends this program... and I must say I have to agree.

Since removing it ..only time it has locked up is once when gps got lost when using the driving/map mode.

Long story short....If you have adv task manager installed

remove it and see if things get better...

they did for me!

I'm using "app swipe" much better and so far none of the kernal fail screens!

Your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
All these problems listed makes me wanna rethink my decision to buy the Vibrant and switch to TMobile. Are these issues isolated or widespread in all Vibrant phones?

I was happy with my IPhone and despite glitches Iphones have had in just about every version, Apple was quick to fix them or make it right and same can be said for their latest one (they are offering a free case to circumvent the antenna deathgrip issue). I hope I don't regret the switch to Vibrant and TMobile very much. Actually not so much to TMobile (been a former customer and they were the best out of all the carriers I have tried..only major carrier I have never tried is Verizon) as much as the Vibrant and if I am having all these issues, I am going to regret my Android decision very much. I am supposed to get my Vibrant tomorrow and go live on TMobile on Wed and reading all these bugs and problems gives me cold feet to move away from IPhone (I love the IPhone but I hate the AT&T monopoly stranglehold on it and offlate Apple has been acting weird as well so thought I'd give Android a chance).

Upvote 0
All these problems listed makes me wanna rethink my decision to buy the Vibrant and switch to TMobile. Are these issues isolated or widespread in all Vibrant phones?

I was happy with my IPhone and despite glitches Iphones have had in just about every version, Apple was quick to fix them or make it right and same can be said for their latest one (they are offering a free case to circumvent the antenna deathgrip issue). I hope I don't regret the switch to Vibrant and TMobile very much. Actually not so much to TMobile (been a former customer and they were the best out of all the carriers I have tried..only major carrier I have never tried is Verizon) as much as the Vibrant and if I am having all these issues, I am going to regret my Android decision very much. I am supposed to get my Vibrant tomorrow and go live on TMobile on Wed and reading all these bugs and problems gives me cold feet to move away from IPhone (I love the IPhone but I hate the AT&T monopoly stranglehold on it and offlate Apple has been acting weird as well so thought I'd give Android a chance).

If you are in Calif then you will get the upgrade to 2.2 before your remorse period is up. Should anyways.
And getting a free bumper(which isnt a case) for your iPhone is no consolatrion to dropping calls all the time. I was talking to somebody last night who wa on his iP4 and he just went dead in the middle of our conversation.

I havent dropped a call yet.

Upvote 0
If you are in Calif then you will get the upgrade to 2.2 before your remorse period is up. Should anyways.
And getting a free bumper(which isnt a case) for your iPhone is no consolatrion to dropping calls all the time. I was talking to somebody last night who wa on his iP4 and he just went dead in the middle of our conversation.

I havent dropped a call yet.

I didn't realize Californians got the FroYo update first than rest of us and no, unfortunately I am not in CA. Will bordering states count?:p I do hope to get the 2.2 update and the GPS problem everyone seems to be discussing about which seems like a major issue Samsung seems to have dropped the ball on. I do hope my switch to Vibrant is not as bad as I think it will be, after reading all the problems here.

Oh on the IP4, Apple is throwing in a free bumper or a case (choice of 6 or 7 to choose from), so the case is practically an option which most people would go for. Apple says the program will run till the end of Sept, which indicates they will be solving this issue at the hardware level for IP4s manufactured after that date. I think the antenna issue has been a major source of embarassment for Apple and they've always been quick and good to react to problems, that much I have to give to Apple. Almost all their IPhones have had some sort of issue in some form which Apple took care of quickly. Well your friend's call dropping dead might not be Apple's issue and might have to do with AT&T, which is one of the major reasons I want to move away from Iphone and give Android a shot. I've never been a fan of AT&T even when I was with them for over 3 years and they would be a good reason to get off the IPhone wagon. US DoJ is happily asleep on the monopoly AT&T is enjoying on the Iphone and if it were Europe, Apple & AT&T's ass would be on a sling for the way they have had a stranglehold on IPhone and ripping people off with whatever they want, in terms of plans and costs and what not.

Anyways, I do hope my switch to Vibrant is not as rough as I think it will be and I do have faith in Google's capabilities (i.e Android) but Samsung maybe not so much. Samsung makes a zillion products so unlike Apple, they don't have the inclination or the motivation to save face on their flagship product and Vibrant is hardly their flagship. Apple would be on its toes to fix the problem because a) its their flagship product and b) Anything Apple screws up on gets very high visibility in the media, which lights the fire under Apple.

Oh another great thing about the IPhone...I am able to sell the goddamn thing for very close to the price I paid for it 2 years ago :) Sold my first Iphone for more than what I paid for it, after 10 mos of use. This one, very close to what I paid for it over 2 years ago. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Upvote 0

What is going on?

This is exactly what was happening with my first Vibrant. It worked fine for about 10 days then started doing all the same things yours did. I ended up exchanging it for another (I was still within my 14 day window at the time) and the replacement phone has been almost perfect, notable exception being the gps of course.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones