• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Share what you have and have not figured out...

I had android on my HTC Touch through sprint, it was pretty sweet.

I found that huge wiki, that is a lot of info. Obviously you are technically inclined, but how hard was it to go through the motions for the screen shot? Is it worth the trouble, or would you recommend waiting until rooting is available.

I doubt it, but if i find it, i will most definitely post it here. Would probably even shoot a pm to some of the more active users here. ;)
The biggest hassle for screen shotting that way is the large files you have to download. After you get those downloaded, and installed the Java, the work is done.

All you have to do after that is click the DDMS, plug in your Hero and snap screen shots. Honestly, I think rooting will be more difficult than this method.

Upvote 0
The biggest hassle for screen shotting that way is the large files you have to download. After you get those downloaded, and installed the Java, the work is done.

All you have to do after that is click the DDMS, plug in your Hero and snap screen shots. Honestly, I think rooting will be more difficult than this method.

Oh so its done by a program actually residing on your PC. Sorry, havent read through that wiki yet. Just one more question though, if i may... Do you know if its Mac compatible?

Upvote 0
How do you get your birthdays and events from facebook to show on your calendar?

fbcal.com, it's a FB app that you add to your FB page which creates a link between your FB calendar to your Google calendar. You can set what you want to have show up on your calendar as far as attending/not attending/maybe/not responded.

The only issue i've found with this is that it creates like an overlap calendar if you will, on top of your actual Google calendar. And you have to select each event and "copy" it to your Google calendar manually in order for it to sync with you phone's calendar, which makes no sense to me.

I guess google hadn't thought it completely through in thinking that people might want to also have it seemlessly all connected through an android device. As this method is fine if you're just viewing your google calendar on the web as you can see all events in one calendar overlapping, but in order for it to sync to your phone you have to copy the event to your G-calendar one by one.

I hope they fix this.

Upvote 0
I was pleasantly suprised to find a standard Mini usb connector will fit into the HTC shaped mini usb port. Works great! Nice because I can use chargers from BB etc that use a standard Mini usb.
Did you check to see if the numbers on the back of the chargers concerning voltage and what not matched before using the non-HTC charger on your Hero?

sleepy

Upvote 0
Did you check to see if the numbers on the back of the chargers concerning voltage and what not matched before using the non-HTC charger on your Hero?

sleepy

Well considering USB is a standardized 5V... I'd be pretty certain the answer is yes :)

The HTC charger charges at 1000ma (1A) @ 5V DC. Most cheap USB chargers charge at 500ma (.5A) so it will take longer to charge (the HERO takes in about 900ma I believe, unless my meter is messing up again.)

Upvote 0
Well considering USB is a standardized 5V... I'd be pretty certain the answer is yes :)

The HTC charger charges at 1000ma (1A) @ 5V DC. Most cheap USB chargers charge at 500ma (.5A) so it will take longer to charge (the HERO takes in about 900ma I believe, unless my meter is messing up again.)
Thanks!

I can live with longer charge times. My main concern was using a charger that supplied too much power and frying my Hero.

sleepy

Upvote 0
My Sprint Hero has a trackball? :D I thought that "ORB" was just there to provide a little light while typing in the dark. :cool: Actually the only place that I use the trackball is when I am editing text and need to delete one letter, I have big fingers and sometimes its just impossible to get it exactly where I want it.

That's the only place I use the trackball...

Upvote 0
... the only place that I use the trackball is when I am editing text and need to delete one letter, I have big fingers and sometimes its just impossible to get it exactly where I want it.

First, your name is awesome. I'm a Jeeper, you?

Second... Oooh! I should use it there too... Currently I poke away at the text while balancing on one foot and holding my mouth just right, hoping that I can get the cursor in the right location.

Upvote 0
First, your name is awesome. I'm a Jeeper, you?

Second... Oooh! I should use it there too... Currently I poke away at the text while balancing on one foot and holding my mouth just right, hoping that I can get the cursor in the right location.

Did you come from a WinMo phone as well? :rolleyes: As long as i had my Diamond i never was able to select before the first letter in any given message...

Upvote 0
I was a blackberry user. I should be used to the trackball, but I'm so ready to be done with it... Ah well...

So here's something I need a hand with:

When I send an email from the gmail account attached to the phone, I get a copy of the sent message in my thunderbird on my machine at home. How do I stop that? It has to be a setting in gmail somewhere, right? I've been looking at my gmail account online for quite some time and I can't figure it out... Do I need to set up some kind of filter?

Upvote 0
This is pretty nit-picky, and I don't want to start a fight, but that was a blackberry thing long before it was an iPhone thing. For all I know, it belonged to some other phone before 'berries... Credit where credit is due.

I wasn't trying to offend - I've never owned a blackberry I had no idea it did that. My most humble apology......

Upvote 0
I have used this to finally get my hotmail to sync, now I am working on getting the mail to match up so if i delete something then it will be deleted when i press refresh on my HERO.

Protocol - pop
put email address in and user name put email address in again
put in password

pop server - pop3.live.com
security type - SSL port 995

outgoing

tick log in required
put email address in as username

put in password

smtp server - smtp.live.com

security type - TLS
server port - 587

Upvote 0
I was looking for a faster way to restart or reboot the phone without having to power it off and back on. Couldn't find a program or widget on the marketplace. Nothing in the manual either. So I did some digging and I finally found it.

Call Key + Menu Key + End Call Key = Restart / Reboot.

you sir are teh pwn for this
i was just bitching today how unlike my old Touch pro the hero doesn't have a dedicated power button. my question is is this hardware controlled or software controlled. What i mean is will this work when your Hero's OS is frozen/ locked up
I sure hope so
but anyway thanks so so much

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones